PDA

View Full Version : Any way to strengthen those riveted eyelets in boots?

jacob_springsteen
12-07-2014, 11:46
The boot I am interested in getting, I have heard, suffers from the eyelets getting popped out due to rock abrasion. To counteract that, I am wondering if you apply some kind of glue to the outside of the riveted eyelet or maybe epoxy, to help shield the force of rocks from tearing at the eyelet and popping them out.

Lyle
12-07-2014, 12:27
I've never, in well over thirty years of backpacking, had an eyelet pop out. Folks must be walking on the tops of their boots or something. :) You could try something like "ShoeGoo". May help a bit, but personally I wouldn't bother. What boot are you looking at?

I am generally easy on shoes/boots, but have done plenty of back country miles.

OCDave
12-07-2014, 12:56
If this is a common problem that has not been addressed by the manufacturer, find a better boot. Personally, I find D-rings more useable and more durable.

If you ultimately purchase the problematic boot, a shoe repair shop can easily replace the eyelet with something more robust.

Slo-go'en
12-07-2014, 15:51
The only eyelets in a boot I can think of are for the laces and I can't see how walking on rocks would affect those.

vamelungeon
12-07-2014, 16:14
I've had speed laces come off but never an eyelet.

jacob_springsteen
12-07-2014, 23:19
I've never, in well over thirty years of backpacking, had an eyelet pop out. Folks must be walking on the tops of their boots or something. :) You could try something like "ShoeGoo". May help a bit, but personally I wouldn't bother. What boot are you looking at?

I am generally easy on shoes/boots, but have done plenty of back country miles.

They are the Salomon Quest 4D.
I bought them anyway. I got them at a really,really low price.

I met a hiker this summer who was thru-hiking in them in NH and he claimed he had to get replacements on them a few times because the rocks were harsh on the eyelets and caused them to come out. Now, if the boot was so bad to use, why did he keep going back to it? Well, it is a very comfortable boot.