PDA

View Full Version : Washinton Unsupported (no resupplies) Hike

royalusa
12-07-2014, 13:07
On August 13, 2014 at Snoqualmie, we ran into Ross headed south on what he called the first ever PCT unsupported hike on the PCT through Washington. His definition of unsupported also included no resupplies, which I guess means he left the Canadian border with 500 miles of food.

If my memory is correct, he mentioned pulling 40+mpd, except in some heavy blowdown areas where his mpd dropped into the 30s.

The night before it rained the entire night - a huge storm; we had thunder/lightning from 5:30 pm until midnight or later. He said his shelter was his weakest link in regards to his gear and thus opted to spend the night in the Snoqualmie trailhead privy, which he described as so small and filthy that it was OK per his "rules" of unsupported.

I've not been able to find anything about his hike on my google searches.

Anyone have an update? Could be an interesting read.

Dogwood
12-07-2014, 13:24
Ross was not the first to hike the PCT through the state of WA unsupported. It's been done before. By my "rules", I hiked WA unsupported. I wore loose fitting no liner running shorts w/ no briefs the entire state.:) I'm petitioning the FKT International Rules Committee on recognizing my great achievement. :D The MVTR specs were off the charts unparalleled too. :banana

Hmm, is there public acknowledgement for thru-hiking the PCT through Oregon wearing only sandals? I may have a record for that too - the first unsupported by trail runners thru-hike of the Oregon PCT. :cool:

Mags
12-07-2014, 13:26
called the first ever PCT unsupported hike on the PCT through Washington

He posted his jaunt on Facebook IIRC. One reason why I don't like Facebook forums is that it is hard to search for anything older....

I must say, though, it is getting to the point where these "Records" are starting to almost sound arbitrary. We are almost to the point where we have to ask who HASN'T done a record. :)

Dogwood
12-07-2014, 14:31
I just received the Guinness Book Of Backpacking Records - a three volume collection. Make sure to highlight my backpacking achievements in Vol I page 472 when you receive your three volume set. I think it appropriate that everyone start highlighting my trail name in bold, italicized, underlined, large font, and in color too. My favorite color is forest green. I've changed my trail name to Little Napolean. Thank you for your acknowledgement of my greatness although I shouldn't have to thank anyone for what I surely deserved. :eek: Caveat: all my records were achieved just because I wanted to challenge myself; they have nothing to do with my ego.:D

Connie
12-07-2014, 14:41
When I was in Girl Scouts, we hiked 18 miles, in one day, up and over a high mountain pass in the North Cascades, part of an 18-day hike "supported" by burrows. We had to make up miles, because we had fallen behind schedule, due to a "zero" day hunkered down under 10x10 plastic tarps in torrential rain. I think we should have a special badge to sew on our sash, for that one.

Is there an award for Girl Scouts hiking the PCT?

Linesman
12-10-2014, 15:24
Ross was not the first to hike the PCT through the state of WA unsupported. It's been done before. By my "rules", I hiked WA unsupported. I wore loose fitting no liner running shorts w/ no briefs the entire state.:) I'm petitioning the FKT International Rules Committee on recognizing my great achievement. :D The MVTR specs were off the charts unparalleled too. :banana

Hmm, is there public acknowledgement for thru-hiking the PCT through Oregon wearing only sandals? I may have a record for that too - the first unsupported by trail runners thru-hike of the Oregon PCT. :cool:

Is this "where will it end??" type of contribution still interesting or amusing in discussions of record breaking hikes? How about giving the guy some recognition? If any of you have hiked the state of washington, you know its about 500 of the hardest miles anywhere. Doing the whole state on one load of food is about the most badass thing I've heard of in a while. I'd like to see some more info as well.

handlebar
12-11-2014, 01:06
Being "the first person to...." has never motivated me. If that what motivates someone else it's fine by me.

On my first long hike I was motivated by an image I visualized of me on that sign at Katahdin. It turned out I really enjoy trekking and it's keeping me fit. Now, however, that I am the "First person living in Mahoning County, Ohio who has backpacked over 10,000 miles since he/she turned 61", it's nice to know I'm a first, too. :) I even made the front page of the local newspaper after I finished the triple crown. I can say from personal experience that being recognized for achievements in ones avocation is satisfying.

Malto
12-11-2014, 10:16
Is this "where will it end??" type of contribution still interesting or amusing in discussions of record breaking hikes? How about giving the guy some recognition? If any of you have hiked the state of washington, you know its about 500 of the hardest miles anywhere. Doing the whole state on one load of food is about the most badass thing I've heard of in a while. I'd like to see some more info as well.

While I agree that it is kinda cool, there are any more epic things happening now. How you been following Trauma and Pepper's PCT hike? That is epic!

Mags
12-11-2014, 12:24
While I agree that it is kinda cool, there are any more epic things happening now. How you been following Trauma and Pepper's PCT hike? That is epic!

Now THAT'S something!

I consider myself pretty up on the trails, however I am frankly losing track of all the FKTs and such.

Not Pepper and Trauma's trek of the PCT.

Something like Kristin's Gates solo trek of the Brooks Range or Trauma and Pepper's trek really holds my interest more.

The current FKTs, while athletically impressive, are being done on known trails with fairly known parameters and are getting to be cover-versions of the same tune.

When the four-minute mile was broken by Roger Banister, a new high mark was achieved and justly celebrated. What could not be done was done!

Who runs the fastest mile now? As impressive as it may be, I don't know. I could google it.

But that's kind of the point.

The latest FKT on the PCT this past year is impressive....but I am not being snarky when I say I have to google him also.

Just Bill
12-11-2014, 13:00
for the OP-
http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/thread/29?page=3
http://www.trailrunnermag.com/people/adventure/1425-ultrapedestrian-ras-completes-unsupported-crossing-of-washington

"It suits my temperament and skill set. I’m not fast, so trying to do something just as quickly as possible isn’t really logical to me, because there are more talented people who will put up a faster time with the same amount of support. Doing it unsupported presented a challenge on the grandest scale. I’m nerdy that way. I like anticipating all the things that can go wrong and having a plan in place for each complication.

Sounds like somebody Tipi would get along with.
Malto- you may find some of his food strategy interesting.

Otherwise good for him- looks like more of a FirstKT than a race.
We all had this discussion not that long ago on one of Tipi's threads about how far one could go without resupply- I think it's a fairly compelling trip for that reason. I too think that trips like this are needed and better appeal to all of our sense of adventure over athletics.

Trauma and Peppers trip is certainly the more interesting, but just because the rock stars are having a concert down the street doesn't mean I don't like the fella jamming at an open mic night either. ;)

Zippy Morocco
01-14-2015, 20:51
I believe this is Ross/Ras's website. I met him too. He gave me a sticker. http://ultrapedestrian.blogspot.com/?m=1