PDA

View Full Version : Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian zipper problems

Old_Man
12-07-2014, 20:23
Hey folks--future potential AT thru-hiker here. I have a faithful GG Nimbus Meridian that's seen me through some tough hikes and has always been a reliable piece of gear. This particular model of pack has a removable top lid compartment that is very useful on long trips. I frequently remove the top lid and attach it to my bicycle. Recently, the teeth of the RiRi plastic zipper started popping out, rendering the top unusable.

I contacted GG regarding purchasing a replacement zipper. I know someone who is capable of sewing a new zipper into the lid. But GG has not returned my request for info on a replacement zipper, so with my start date looming in the not-too-distant future, I'm wondering whether to just buy a newer/lighter pack, try using my Nimbus without the top compartment, or see if I can find a comparable zipper online?

What would you do in my situation?

Grits
12-07-2014, 21:17
Hey folks--future potential AT thru-hiker here. I have a faithful GG Nimbus Meridian that's seen me through some tough hikes and has always been a reliable piece of gear. This particular model of pack has a removable top lid compartment that is very useful on long trips. I frequently remove the top lid and attach it to my bicycle. Recently, the teeth of the RiRi plastic zipper started popping out, rendering the top unusable.

I contacted GG regarding purchasing a replacement zipper. I know someone who is capable of sewing a new zipper into the lid. But GG has not returned my request for info on a replacement zipper, so with my start date looming in the not-too-distant future, I'm wondering whether to just buy a newer/lighter pack, try using my Nimbus without the top compartment, or see if I can find a comparable zipper online?

What would you do in my situation?

I checked with a friend and was advised that that pack has been out of production for sometime and the new packs do not use that zipper but if you call Customer Service: 800-222-8032 (tel:800-222-8032) (then punch #2 for CS) then ask for someone in Warranty or CS during normal working hours you should be able to get your replacement from GG. Hope that helps

HeartFire
12-07-2014, 21:21
If time is in a crunch, go out and buy a zipper to replace it. you can get a zipper that is longer than needed, it is easy to cut it down to make it shorter.

BUT, make sure the person sewing it in knows what she/he is doing - you need strong thread to hold it in, regular sewing thread will tear out quickly.

Old_Man
12-08-2014, 09:30
Thanks for the number Grits. I will try them this afternoon when I get off work.

Heartfire, thanks for the tips. I've been looking around for replacements.

The original is a plastic zipper. If I did end up replacing it myself instead of shipping it back to GG to let them replace it, I'm unsure whether I would use a plastic zipper or replace with a more durable metal one?