PDA

View Full Version : December hike

evan_rolltide
12-07-2014, 21:34
Looking to spend around 5-10 days on trail in the southeast in December. I know it could get cold. Trying to keep elevation low. Anywhere between Indiana to Florida is open. I was thinking about the Sheltowee Trace in Kentucky. Maybe just do a section.

Damn Yankee
12-07-2014, 23:04
up for the AT? I might be able to do 5 days in the Shenandoah NP

Dogwood
12-08-2014, 02:04
With virtually no crowds(in Dec on the backcountry trails), OK Dec winter weather(day time avg highs in the mid 40's, night time avg lows around 30), umpteen geological adventure and interest(there are a lot of cool arches and escarpments!), variety(ridgelines, lower bottom lands, river, water features(rivulets coming over the face of rock shelters) that can freeze in Dec, etc), very good views (especially with the leaves off the decidious trees), ample bail out pts should the weather unexpectedly turn sour, not overly burdensome logistics, low elev(under or about 1000 ft), well marked trails, consider the Sheltowee Trace through Red River Gorge. I know I could easily spend 7 days in Dec doing the ST and adjacent other trail/loops in the gorge and surrounding areas. With a decent weather window w/ sunny skies but brisk temps I would say it's an excellent time for backpacking and solitude enjoying the Red River Gorge, Natural Bridge SP, and Clifty Wilderness.

Foothills Trail is another very good good trail for winter to consider. A FHT can easily be extended to make it into a 8-10 day hike too if you don't get hung up on having to start at the Table Rock SP FHT "somewhat official" eastern terminus TH. I did exactly that one Dec between Christmas and New Yrs Day starting east at Jones Gap SP, hiking through Caesar's Head SP(by Ravens Cliff Falls), picking up the FHT proper at Sassafras Mt(the SC high pt), and continuing on to Oconee SP along the Chatooga River. Nice thing about the FHT is most of the waterfalls flow yr round which are really cool to check out if starting to freeze or have frozen up. I doubt you'll see anyone in Dec thru-hiking the FHT too.

Dec can be iffy, the deeper into the month you go more so, but how about incorporating the lower elev BMT through GSMNP into a 7-10 day hike mainly planning on staying on the lower elevation trails at the outer boundary circumference of the NP? I can't see permits/campsites being anything but wide open too.

Ktaadn
12-08-2014, 10:54
I did about 70 miles on the JMT/Sheltowee last winter. It rained a ton and the creek crossings were treacherous in some spots. It was a fun adventure. I would recommend it.

winger
12-09-2014, 12:29
Tipi Walter needs to advise you as he is a winter hiking guru.

evan_rolltide
12-09-2014, 18:20
i think I may go scout out the red river gorge this weekend on an overnighter, sounds like a neat spot. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

winger
12-09-2014, 19:30
I should have advised you myself, to check out the Foothills Trail! Its a fantastic hike with lots of options regarding start and finish points depending on how much time you have.
Temperatures will be moderate compared to other trails, but as always, check the weather forecast a few days ahead.
There are several threads on here regarding it.