PDA

View Full Version : Pack of Fools (NOBO AT April 1st Departure Group)

dangerdave
12-08-2014, 14:09
Let's gather up here, group! Who's leaving with me from Springer Mountain on April 1st?

I'm planning to do the approach from Amicalola Falls on March 31st so I can be on the Mountain for departure on the 1st of April.

Chime in Fools! Who's with me?

takethisbread
12-08-2014, 15:00
About 75 others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freightliner
12-08-2014, 15:26
Awesome group name I bet people end up changing there plans just to be a part of your group. Does this mean you're going to wear some sort of costume maybe a little clown paint or funny hat. Man you sure can have some fun with your Springer Mountain day one photo.

Mike415
12-08-2014, 16:22
That is when I intend to start. plan on staying on mountain and starting April 1. mike (aka TinMan)

T-Rx
12-08-2014, 17:14
That is when my wife and I will be starting also. See you on the trail!

Havana
12-08-2014, 17:53
You definitely have to wear one of those jester caps. Sounds like a load of fun. If only I could move up my retirement date from 2018!

jred321
12-09-2014, 08:33
That was my original plan but then I talked to a friend in HR who said based on the way PTO posts to our system and the fact that we get cashed out you should never quit at the end of the month and should wait until after the 1st. So I'll probably be a few days behind the pack

dangerdave
12-09-2014, 11:10
I'm sure there will be a lot of us on the mountain that morning. I think that's awesome! I'm not afraid of people. What to where...?

29122...um...no way, man.

dangerdave
12-09-2014, 14:36
Countdown: 113 days!!!

rocketsocks
12-09-2014, 18:41
I'm sure there will be a lot of us on the mountain that morning. I think that's awesome! I'm not afraid of people. What to where...?

29122...um...no way, man.some might be afraid of ya...depending on where you were wearin' it.

dangerdave
12-09-2014, 19:13
I'm just not going to wear a silly hat. That might be right for others (and I totally understand), but that's just not me. I did, however, order me a patch for my pack to commemorate the occasion of our departure...here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J4IYB9A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

rocketsocks
12-09-2014, 20:06
I'm just not going to wear a silly hat. That might be right for others (and I totally understand), but that's just not me. I did, however, order me a patch for my pack to commemorate the occasion of our departure...here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J4IYB9A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I like it! :)

oldwetherman
12-09-2014, 22:11
You folks will make a memory that will last a lifetime! Have fun. Post a picture here on Whiteblaze for us.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
12-10-2014, 00:59
Let's gather up here, group! Who's leaving with me from Springer Mountain on April 1st?

I'm planning to do the approach from Amicalola Falls on March 31st so I can be on the Mountain for departure on the 1st of April.

Chime in Fools! Who's with me?

Danger, you make it being a fool sound like so much fun! If I did the approach on the 1st I could head to Springer on my birthday. But I've really been looking forward to have an amazing BBQ sandwich from the General Store in Hartford TN as a birthday celebration.

By the way, LOVE the patch!!

dangerdave
12-10-2014, 08:02
We gotta have fun with it! This is one of the most exciting times of my life...our lives! I've got seven days of work left before I retire. SEVEN! Weeks later, I'll be stepping off on the AT with a bunch of other Fools!

Every emotion you can imagine is vying for supremacy. I can barely keep a thought in my head. Everyone else must be feeling the same...or something like it.

All I can say to the Class of 2015 is: There may be Danger ahead, or Danger behind, but there will be Danger all the way to Katahdin! :)

dangerdave
12-15-2014, 10:25
Ok, my patch came in. I should really pay more attention. It's about the size of a nickel. Very small. You'd have to get real close to my pack to see what it is.

I don't know if I want you guys that close...you smell funny. :-?

I need to find something else to replace it. Any ideas?

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
12-17-2014, 09:36
There might be something better out there closer to Mardi gras or do you know someone who sews who also does appliqué? There is always etsy. Maybe someone on there could do one to your specs? If you find someone let me know as it is looking like I might have to switch my dates unless I want to slack pack the first 30 days due to weight restrictions after a procedure I need done. But we'll see.

freightliner
12-17-2014, 12:35
I don't know what type of pack you have but if it's not waterproof then you could take it to an embroider to have whatever you want embroidered on your pack. I did that with one of my pack before I went to a waterproof dry sack type pack. It's one of those places that world embroider company logos on T-shirts and things or personal name. Come to think of it they would make you a patch to if that's what you want.

dangerdave
12-18-2014, 15:32
Ok, I'll look into those.

Not to change the subject, but the Fools (us) should steel ourselves for damage control in our upcoming journey. People are bailing from the bubble because of all the bad press on the impact of the numbers. I plan to be a nature advocate during my thu-hike. Respect for the woods, respect for fellow hikers, respect for the rules of the communities and entities I pass through, admonishing those who don't, and encouraging those who do.

If I'm not assaulted by a gaggle of destructive, drunken weekenders by the time I leave GSMNP, I'll just have to try harder. :)

dangerdave
12-18-2014, 21:18
I know not too many of us have chimed in here, but I have a question/consideration.

How many of you would be willing/able to change your plans to lesson the impact of the bubble on the forest? SOBO? Flip-Flop?

I'm retiring, so I can change my plans any way I like. If we want to help this situation, we may need to make an effort.

FrozenMac
12-20-2014, 12:00
Ok, I'll look into those.

Not to change the subject, but the Fools (us) should steel ourselves for damage control in our upcoming journey. People are bailing from the bubble because of all the bad press on the impact of the numbers. I plan to be a nature advocate during my thu-hike. Respect for the woods, respect for fellow hikers, respect for the rules of the communities and entities I pass through, admonishing those who don't, and encouraging those who do.

If I'm not assaulted by a gaggle of destructive, drunken weekenders by the time I leave GSMNP, I'll just have to try harder. :)

Hey Danger,

I'm also starting close to April 1st, and am of the nature-advocating-respect, "dick free on the AT" mindset. I got your back.

-Frozen Mac

dangerdave
12-21-2014, 13:14
Thanks, Mac! That is good to know.

With my red-neck spunk and your Brooklyn attitude, we'd be a force to reckon with! :cool:

It might also help being six one, two-ten. :)

dangerdave
12-27-2014, 20:00
After a long heart-to-heart with my guru (my wife), I've decided to Flip. I want a nature experience, not a social experience. The whole rolling party thing is just not for me. I'll do my part by deflating the Bubble and encouraging other to Flip as well.

Sorry Pack of Fools, you're on your own!

rocketsocks
12-27-2014, 20:43
Hey Danger,

I'm also starting close to April 1st, and am of the nature-advocating-respect, "dick free on the AT" mindset. I got your back.

-Frozen Mac
Now that's funny...Bone free, as free as the wind blows, as free as the grass grows..Bone free:D