PDA

View Full Version : Still searching for the right tent

BrianOH72
12-08-2014, 15:04
About a month ago I narrowed down my decision on a shelter between the StratoSpire 2 and the Lunar Duo. My section hiking plans have changed some and as of now it looks like I'll be going alone so I'm considering a smaller shelter. Some of the things that are important to me are weight, quality and size. Being 6'2" I can't have to short of a shelter I either length or height. I worry some with water splashing up around the floor on the SMD. If I'm only saving 5 or 6oz is it even worth downsizing to a 1+ shelter such as the StratoSpire 1? Any input I greatly appreciated. Thanks!

QHShowoman
12-08-2014, 15:14
Have you looked at the Light Heart Gear So Long 6? It weighs about the same as the Stratospire 1, but is longer and wider.
http://lightheartgear.com/index.php/tents/lightheart-solong6-tents/solong-6-standard

Mobius
12-08-2014, 15:17
If you're back to a single person shelter I think the Tarptent Notch would be long enough to suit you, though it's a tighter fitting shelter (narrow). Sticking with just the ones you listed, if you haven't yet purchased the SS2, the savings in in weight (and cost) of the SS1 would be an easy "yes" for me. The SS2 is absolutely huge for one person.

For what it's worth I own an SS2 (when I backpack with my daughter) and Notch (when I go solo).

CaptainCoupal
12-08-2014, 15:54
If you're really worried about getting wet from the ground, don't be afraid to look at hammocks. www.hennessyhammock.com has some good starter hammocks. Additionally, you can learn a lot from www.hammockforums.net

AO2134
12-08-2014, 16:08
I have used SMD SKytrekker Scout and I am very happy with it. Used it on moderate rain days with no problems. Never in prolonged, heavy downpour. I am 6 foot. My feet generally hit the wall of the tent which poses a very minor problem with condensation.

bamboo bob
12-08-2014, 16:13
Have you looked at the Light Heart Gear So Long 6? It weighs about the same as the Stratospire 1, but is longer and wider.
http://lightheartgear.com/index.php/tents/lightheart-solong6-tents/solong-6-standard

Great set up, I've used it for the past two years. I would buy another if I ever needed to replace it.

takethisbread
12-08-2014, 17:34
I suggest weight not be the biggest issue for a tent on the AT. Rain and wet ground protection should be crucial. I wish I did better in this way. This is not the PCT or whatever. In a 150 day hike it's gonna be wet 50 days. Ground protection is important

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrianOH72
12-08-2014, 19:31
Thanks for your input. I'm very impressed with Tarptent and like the roominess of the StratoSpire. Do you have any problems with condensation or with water splashing in near the top of the bathtub floor by the mesh? Are you happy using trekking poles rather then a standard tent pole?

Rangefinder
12-08-2014, 19:45
Just ordered the SMD Lunar Solo SE for only $140 (a $40 savings) from their website and am really looking forward to receiving it.

I'm only 5' 10" so the length isn't too much of a factor. The price seemed attractive compared to many other offerings.

takethisbread
12-08-2014, 20:20
Thanks for your input. I'm very impressed with Tarptent and like the roominess of the StratoSpire. Do you have any problems with condensation or with water splashing in near the top of the bathtub floor by the mesh? Are you happy using trekking poles rather then a standard tent pole?

The lightheart so long? Is made for taller hikers. You may want to look at that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mobius
12-09-2014, 10:00

I've only had condensation when camping in lousy conditions (on grass, open sky, low lying areas next to lakes, no wind, etc.) I'd expect condensation in any tent in those conditions. It was never enough to wet out my quilt though. I usually leave half a door open on either side so I get a solid cross breeze which avoids the condensation issue. If it's really windy I'll button up, but open the end vents.

I've never had water anywhere near the bathtub floor. The vestibules are so large in the Notch and SS2 that the floor is quite far from the edges of the drip line. I've been in all night rain in both tents without issue.

I'm quite happy with using my trekking poles. I always hike with two anyway. I have no desire to carry an extra set of poles that are even weaker than my trekking poles.

hikingshoes
12-09-2014, 11:37
[QUOTE=BrianOH72;1927137]Thanks for your input. I'm very impressed with Tarptent and like the roominess of the StratoSpire. Do you have any problems with condensation or with water splashing in near the top of the bathtub floor by the mesh? Are you happy using trekking poles rather then a standard tent pole?[/QUOTE
Ive been training/ testing (at a campground) for the "AT" for 4 months now. I've used my Clark hammock , MSR carbon reflex 2, and the Stratospire 1. Hands down the Stratospire 1 is my goto tent,second is the Msr Carbon reflex 2. Never had my down bag get wet due to condensation or splashing,there was sign of splashing on the netting but no sign of water inside. I've been at this campground for 4 months, tent,pad,down bag been there all 4 months.

BrianOH72
12-22-2014, 15:00
So I've been looking at the SoLong 6 and can say that I'm pretty impressed. I was wondering if you went with the standard or the custom? Also do you have any issues with condensation? Do you use a ground cover with it such as Tyvek or is the floor durable enough? Thanks!

Connie
12-22-2014, 15:26
I have thought cuben may be helpful, as a tent "footprint" or as a bathtub floor for a tent or an inner net tent.

The idea: it would be relatively easy to shake off water and wipe down, if necessary.

Does anyone have experience with abrasion resistance or puncture resistance, for this "application"?

swonut
12-22-2014, 16:30
So I've been looking at the SoLong 6 and can say that I'm pretty impressed. I was wondering if you went with the standard or the custom? Also do you have any issues with condensation? Do you use a ground cover with it such as Tyvek or is the floor durable enough? Thanks!

I have a SoLong 6 that I used to replace a Big Agnes Fly Creek 1. It has so much more room. I used a tyvek sheet under my pad, but not under the whole tent. I figured it cut down on the mud and such while giving me a little more insulation and protection.

Like others have said, I'd buy another one-- seems like a solid design. -- Well, actually, I had to add a loop of red string to one of the tieouts so I could easily find the right hand corner to help aid setup. They all looked
the same in the fading darkness.

Poppins
12-22-2014, 20:00
Im 6'2" and I love my Zpacks Duplex. I have tons of room in it length wise and sitting up as well. Plus with two doors and an awesome design to keep the doors open even in a light rain its amazing. Plus at 21 oz. with stakes its not that heavy. =) Tons of room for all my gear inside the tent in the bathtub floor.

Poppins
12-22-2014, 20:03
The Zpacks Duplex is durable, long, tall and very weather proof. In addition, I have very little condensation issues due to its superb ventilation.

Del Q
12-22-2014, 21:35
If you can afford it, go with cuben fiber. Packs almost dry, waterproof, light...............a great fabric. I had a tent made of sil nylon, did NOT like the "misting", waking up damp, just not ideal. Combining really light & dry = cuben fiber

Don H
12-22-2014, 21:45
Heck of a deal on these: http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/90-outfitter-lemons-to-lemonade-sale.html

ocasey3
12-22-2014, 23:32
Heck of a deal on these: http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/90-outfitter-lemons-to-lemonade-sale.html

We just snapped one of these up! :banana

Connie
12-23-2014, 01:38
I was lingering at that website.

I like the cuben. <sigh>

DelQ, If you can afford it, go with cuben fiber. Packs almost dry, waterproof, light...............a great fabric.

Do you have good experience, then, with a cuben tent floor, pitching taut, rain, snow in terms of performance and wear?

daddytwosticks
12-23-2014, 08:15
Just pulled the trigger on the SMD Deschutes CF tarp and Serenity net inner. Can't wait to try it out. :)

cbg
12-23-2014, 09:09
What is everyone's opinion of the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 1 while doing a NOBO thru hike on the AT? If starting in late February would you use Big Agnes footprint?

BrianOH72
12-23-2014, 22:15
Ok I've finally made up my mind and have chosen the LightHeart Duo. Big enough to be able to accommodate 2 people if need be or myself and pack if I'm alone. Weighing in at just over two pounds and packs down small. Judy at LightHeart Gear was great to work with answering any questions about as fast as I could email them to her. Excited for it to arrive. I'll keep everyone posted.

Connie
12-23-2014, 23:11
I would think the custom is for more lightweight, for reduction in hydrostatic head.

I would say, the anticipated use is the deciding factor.

HeartFire
12-24-2014, 22:27
There is very little weight difference between the 2 fabrics, one - the custom - is made here in the USA and has a lower hydrostatic head because of the manufacturing process, and the blend of chemicals in the coating. The standard tents are made from imported fabric with a different silicone based coating. That really is the only difference. I have made hundreds of tents out of the domestic fabric and they are 'waterproof'. there has been no issues with them misting or leaking. I think Big Agnes also uses a fabric with a 1200mm HH. The imported fabric is manufactured specifically for me, to meet my specs, it's the LightHeart Gear H3O Fabric (High Hydrostatic Head).

Judy - LightHeart Gear