PDA

View Full Version : shenandoah national park proposes fee increases

scudder
12-08-2014, 16:13
you can read all about it in the "news" section of the Shenandoah National Park website. current car fee of $15 summer $10 winter to be raised to $25 year round. current motorcycle fee of $10 to be raised to $20. 7 day walk or bike in permit to rise from $8 to $12.

Starchild
12-08-2014, 16:24
Walk permit??? I just filled out a form when I entered there was no walk permit fee at least for me.

Also I think walkin or biking should be encouraged, not discouraged, so disappointing to learn that they charge for that.

Car use, well that's the cost of that game.

swisscross
12-08-2014, 16:27
Why would/is the motorcycle fee cheaper? Most of them are the loud obnoxious Harley's. The noise they create should warrant double the fees of cars.

Sort of sorry to all the Harley owners out there.

EVERYTHING is getting more expensive. Grocery prices are killing us.

Ktaadn
12-08-2014, 16:43
Walk permit??? I just filled out a form when I entered there was no walk permit fee at least for me.

Also I think walkin or biking should be encouraged, not discouraged, so disappointing to learn that they charge for that.

Car use, well that's the cost of that game.

I think there was a walk-in fee at the Old Rag TH. That must be what they are referring to. I can't think of any other per person fees.

Mudsock
12-08-2014, 18:00
One of the best buys I have found is the Senior Pass for the National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands. It is available for those 62 and older. For TEN DOLLARS, you get lifetime admission for a car load of people, or the pass holder and three persons (even on foot) if per person fees are charged.

Take an old guy with you.

Coffee
12-08-2014, 18:09
There is a walk-in fee at the Old Rag trailhead but there is no way to pay a fee walking the AT through the park unless you seek out a ranger to submit payment (which I'm sure few if any hikers actually do).

When I moved to northern Virginia 12 years ago, the SNP fee was $10 and it will soon be $25. That's a lot more than the "inflation" adjustment the NPS is claiming to be implementing here. That being said, an annual pass is $50 and they do have a number of free entry days, and it doesn't cost anything to hike in from most trailheads outside of Skyline Drive.

The $80 interagency pass is probably the best deal for anyone going to many parks in one year.

As for the senior pass, only 21 more years before I qualify!

Feral Bill
12-08-2014, 18:37
One of the best buys I have found is the Senior Pass for the National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands. It is available for those 62 and older. For TEN DOLLARS, you get lifetime admission for a car load of people, or the pass holder and three persons (even on foot) if per person fees are charged.

Take an old guy with you.

A great deal, but I don't believe it covers all National Forest lands. Here we have a "Northwest Forest Pass" for WA and OR, $10 for coots, also lifetime.

NOT! :) I was wrong.

BillyGr
12-09-2014, 14:57
Probably since the vehicle fee can include multiple people (we had a 15 passenger van years back when you could still rent those in NY), while a motorcycle generally only holds one or two, so somewhat a compensation to the smaller vehicle.