PDA

View Full Version : Celebrate: We're past our earliest sunset of the year!

colorado_rob
12-08-2014, 18:13
As a daylight lover, and a hiker that doesn't start before the sun is up, I like to celebrate this day every year... today's sunset will be ever-so-slightly later than yesterdays, and the difference will accelerate... Nice!

(on the down side, of course, sunrises will come later and later as well until early January, but morning sun is less important to me personally).

Here's a link if anyone cares to read up on this:

http://earthsky.org/tonight/earliest-sunset-today-but-not-shortest-day

The Cleaner
12-08-2014, 20:20
+1. I'm always looking for the sunset if I'm not too busy. The best sunsets are in the colder months when the sun is at a lower angle in the sky.

Sarcasm the elf
12-08-2014, 20:22
Thanks for the link. I had alway thought that the winter solstice had the earliest sunset of the year.

rocketsocks
12-08-2014, 20:27
Thanks for the link. I had alway thought that the winter solstice had the earliest sunset of the year.
...as did I.

illabelle
12-09-2014, 07:22
I knew the earliest sunset didn't correspond with the solstice, but I never knew why. Thank you for that link!

russb
12-09-2014, 08:23
I try to plan weekend trips around celestial events. Sun/moon rise/set cap off great trips.

For those interested, we have the geminid meteor shower coming up. I plan to be in the woods at a secluded lake for (hopefully) a good show this year.

rocketsocks
12-09-2014, 08:45
I try to plan weekend trips around celestial events. Sun/moon rise/set cap off great trips.

For those interested, we have the geminid meteor shower coming up. I plan to be in the woods at a secluded lake for (hopefully) a good show this year.
like wise, nothin' like campin' out under a full moon and night hikin' less o'coarse your after star gazin'...then it sucks. I take both into account.

Deadeye
12-09-2014, 12:11
love the later sunset, but as the saying goes in Vermont... the days get longer, but the cold gets stronger