PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Skirt

baseballswthrt
10-24-2005, 06:15
I have long wanted to wear a hiking skirt. Where in the world do you find one? Are there any with pockets? I wear mens hiking pants with zip off legs so I have something to wear no matter what the weather and they have a lot of pockets (which I use). I don't sew, so I need to find one already made.

Almost There
10-24-2005, 06:24
mountain hardwear used to make one, and may come out with a new one before next summer. Nike makes one, Royal Robbins makes one. Just google women's hiking skirts and that should give you several choices. My wife hikes too, so I have become well versed in both mens and womens hiker fashions. The royal robbins one looks very similiar to the old mountain hardwear pack wrap skirt.

CynJ
10-24-2005, 07:34
I just went to rei.com - clicked on women's apparel then did a search for "skirt" - came up with a page full :)

Hammock Hanger
10-24-2005, 07:45
Another alternative is a "board skirt" It is made out of the same material as men's board shorts. (Surfer's trunks)

Lightweight, snag resistant and dries in a flash.

I lucked out and found 2 for sale, $5.00 each. I have worn the blue one on every hike since and wear the orange one during hunt season. This particular skirt is great becasue it came with a large pocket on the side.

good luck in your search, hope you find a skirt as comfy on the trail as I do.

gsingjane
10-24-2005, 07:56
I have a Columbia Sportswear greenish khaki hiking skort WITH pockets that I love. It has a front flap with a "pinch-in" buckle; it holds up well and looks pretty decent even after several days on the trail. I'm not sure how old it is (probably at least 2-3 years is my guess) but hopefully you could find one like it. It has become one of my great hiking garments, where when I put it on I get all fired up for hiking!

Jane in CT

PKH
10-24-2005, 11:36
MEC sells a couple of versions.

PKH

Turtle2
10-24-2005, 11:48
Just bought a Patagonia skirt on ebay for less than $10 with one zip pocket and buttons and a buckle to adjust the waist.

Mr. Clean
10-27-2005, 19:34
Also, check out sportkilt.com if you're interested in a kilt.

Cheesewhiz
10-27-2005, 22:25
Sorry to read a pink post but I sometimes hike in one of these. The male model and it has pockets.

http://www.macabiskirt.com/

CynJ
10-27-2005, 22:52
lol...I love the patterns on that sportkilt.com but man are the women's skirts a little short or am I turning into my mother? :p

there are great reviews about those Macabi skirts on BGT :)

baseballswthrt
10-28-2005, 05:44
I"ve been looking at the Macabi skirt on line and have read the reviews on BGT. My husband wonders if the strap hanging between your legs when you have it hiked up is annoying. I wonder if it catches on brush etc. as you walk by. I am seriously considering getting one.

I have found that men's hiking pants have better pockets (bigger and more) than women's. I wonder if the pocket configuration is the same for the man's skirt and the woman's skirt.

I think a skirt would be easier for peeing and I wear skirts when I can since I think they are cooler than shorts. I figure I could always put on pants if it was too cool outside.

PKH
10-28-2005, 06:25
Please forgive yet another invasion of the female domain . . . . . . .

But my wife did all of her hikes this past summer in a skirt - just above knee length I believe. She was amazed at the freedom and coolness, and wonders why all women don't do the same.

I'm sure I don't know.

Cheers,

PKH

Hammock Hanger
10-28-2005, 08:24
Please forgive yet another invasion of the female domain . . . . . . .

But my wife did all of her hikes this past summer in a skirt - just above knee length I believe. She was amazed at the freedom and coolness, and wonders why all women don't do the same.

I'm sure I don't know.

Cheers,

PKH
PKH, you could get a kilt.....:)

sassy03
10-30-2005, 17:32
I have recently discovered tennis skirts as a alternative. I don't enjoy wearing underwear, so that pretty much ruled out any regular skirt or kilt. With the tennis skirt, the spandex-ish shorts provide coverage, but I have found it is still more comfortable than shorts. You can even pee without having to pull it down. May be a little TMI, but it works!

soulrebel
10-30-2005, 19:00
http://www.skirtsports.com/site/index.cfm

Hammock Hanger
10-30-2005, 19:54
http://www.skirtsports.com/site/index.cfm

Interesting... I think my hiking partner would like the one that slits up to the waist!!;)

Sparkplug
10-30-2005, 20:52
This summer while on the AT, I switched from my convertible pants to a skirt. It was a great decision. Actually it was my husband, Snowman, who convinced me... He purchased a Mountain Hardwear Kilt, called a Mountain Kilt, in Damascus, and loved it! So, I had my parent's send me a skirt I already owned, and traded in my pants. The skirt was a Cloudveil skirt, very light, had one side pocket. Not necessarily meant for hiking, but I really enjoyed hiking in it. It was light and airy, and I could actually dry out if we stopped for a long lunch after a sweaty morning (there were many on the AT this summer, let me tell you!), which was wonderful. I found wearing a skirt very comfy, and I know Snowman did too, although he did get some funny looks while wearing the skirt in town :-)
-Sparkplug

lilmountaingirl
11-30-2005, 19:22
I lucked out and found 2 for sale, $5.00 each. I have worn the blue one on every hike since and wear the orange one during hunt season. This particular skirt is great becasue it came with a large pocket on the side.

good luck in your search, hope you find a skirt as comfy on the trail as I do.

Hey HH ~ what brand of board skirt is that? I love board skirts but haven't been able to find them with pockets! Thanks in advance. :)

Hammock Hanger
11-30-2005, 19:27
Hey HH ~ what brand of board skirt is that? I love board skirts but haven't been able to find them with pockets! Thanks in advance. :)

Unfortunately I can't tell you the brand a I cut the labesl out and they are now about 4 years old.

I got a Columbia with pockets, not as big but more of them at Sports Authority.

And 2 on sale at Seirra Trading posy, they were Allegheny Trails.

Sue

lilmountaingirl
12-01-2005, 20:11
Thank ya much for the info, HH! I'll have to check STP and maybe Dick's.

Cutting the labels out...imagine that... ;)

april2006
01-23-2006, 21:12
My mom is going to make my skirt for my thru. We were discussing it this evening and I was stumped when she asked me what the skirts were made of. I had thought a poly/spandex blend kind of material, but she was worried it would get badly picked. I mentioned the board shorts kind of material, but I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas? If you hike in a skirt, please let me know what type of fabric it is. Thanks!!
April

Hammock Hanger
01-23-2006, 21:18
My mom is going to make my skirt for my thru. We were discussing it this evening and I was stumped when she asked me what the skirts were made of. I had thought a poly/spandex blend kind of material, but she was worried it would get badly picked. I mentioned the board shorts kind of material, but I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas? If you hike in a skirt, please let me know what type of fabric it is. Thanks!!
April

I have made numerous skirts for hiking (the only way to travel). BOARDSHORT material is the very best. It is lt weight, durable, cleans well and dries super fast.

It is sometimes hard to find the material but well worth looking for.

Good luck on your thru. Sue

Almost There
01-23-2006, 21:21
I hike in a kilt, having the same operation I would reccommend the same material as hiking pants, but board short material should work great as well!!!

CreakyBonze
02-03-2006, 22:57
ok, I hate to plead ignorant, but what is "board cloth"? Is it like denim? Or like the material in khaki work pants?

I too like the look of the Macabi skirt...and it is very tempting, but costly...If I could figure what kind of material to use, I too might crank out the sewing machine and make a skirt...

Creakybonze

"You don't stop playing because you grow old...you grow old because you stop playing." Bentlea

april2006
02-03-2006, 23:45
what is "board cloth"?

Had me stumped for a while too. Think mens swimming trunks.

CreakyBonze
02-04-2006, 23:30
Had me stumped for a while too. Think mens swimming trunks.

Shoot, I have two pair of men's boxer style swimming trunks, my hiking shorts...three pockets instead of two, one has the liner ....I cut the liner out of the other....maybe those will be backup with a skirt.
:p

Icicle
03-01-2006, 12:08
This summer while on the AT, I switched from my convertible pants to a skirt. It was a great decision. Actually it was my husband, Snowman, who convinced me... He purchased a Mountain Hardwear Kilt, called a Mountain Kilt, in Damascus, and loved it!

That's where my husband Snowman got his too!

Hey Sparkplug! :sun

lilmountaingirl
03-02-2006, 08:07
I just got a sport kilt from www.sportkilt.com. It's not UL by any means but it is so flippin' comfortable and easy to move in. Both my SO and I got them and will be wearing them on our hike this year. One feature I like is that it's adjustable so as my body changes, I can adjust the kilt w/out needing to buy a new one. :)

Tha Wookie
03-02-2006, 09:53
I have made numerous skirts for hiking (the only way to travel). BOARDSHORT material is the very best. It is lt weight, durable, cleans well and dries super fast.

It is sometimes hard to find the material but well worth looking for.

Good luck on your thru. Sue

You might be able to order a yard or two from www.questoutfitters.com (http://www.questoutfitters.com). I'd be interested in showing this to Island Mama, who hikes in homemade skirts. She used coolmax jersey for the summer -very nice, but over 2000 miles got a little ragged out. Maybe you could make two.

Is there an easier thing to make on a sewing machine?

Trail Yeti
03-02-2006, 10:23
I just got a sport kilt from www.sportkilt.com. It's not UL by any means but it is so flippin' comfortable and easy to move in. Both my SO and I got them and will be wearing them on our hike this year. One feature I like is that it's adjustable so as my body changes, I can adjust the kilt w/out needing to buy a new one. :)

The only problem with a sport kilt is that it can be a little warm for summer.....I actually ahve two. one is much heavier fabric than the other. I agree that it is nice to adjust, and they give more freedom of movement than a MH kilt (which is what I wore on my thru). And I love the tartan!!!!:banana :banana

lilmountaingirl
03-02-2006, 16:01
The only problem with a sport kilt is that it can be a little warm for summer.....I actually ahve two. one is much heavier fabric than the other. I agree that it is nice to adjust, and they give more freedom of movement than a MH kilt (which is what I wore on my thru). And I love the tartan!!!!:banana :banana

That's the only reason I didn't get the MH one...freedom of movement. I was happy sport kilt had my family tartan!:bananaI'm bringing convertible pants too, so I'm hoping I've given myself enough options to keep happy in any temp. ;)

Cuffs
03-04-2006, 19:05
Just found this today at a local thrift store... It is new!
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10211&c=511

Wrap-style, button on inside wrap and velcro at the outer flap. It is 100% Nylon, approx 18" from top of waistband to bottom of hem. One small cargo pocket on the right hip. Navy blue, 4.6oz.

There were about 8 or 9 in various misses sizes. If anyone is interested,
I'll get them, AND ship for $15.

kalynmr
03-08-2006, 22:22
Hey ladies,
Been looking for a skirt myself and what looks promising is the Columbia Sportswear Rapid Water Skirt. Made out of 100% nylon (same stuff men's swimming trunks are made out of), has 2 pockets, is a nice length (21in), and is relatively cheap ($24 at REI). I'm not sure how much it weights, I can let you know once I buy it. Here's the link:
http://www.columbiasportswear.com/Product.aspx?top=28&cat=260&prod=882
Good luck,
Kalyn

sarbar
03-08-2006, 23:34
I was in the Outdoor Research store in Seattle the other day, and Wild Roses by OR is making a number of skirts. Some do have built in liners, but all well made and not too bad $. You might try looking up Wild Roses.....

Jeanette
04-14-2006, 17:08
I've been reading with interest about skirts! I ordered the Mountain Hardwear kilt (mens small) and although it fit fine around the waist, it was still too short for me so I returned it. I like the length of the Macabi skirt but I'm too cheap to buy it so guess what I did? I ordered some nylon supplex fabric (same stuff the Macabi is made from) and am going to try to make my own. I'm not much of a seamstress, but I do have a simple skirt pattern that I've made once before so I'm going to use that. The fabric was about $15 plus shipping, from a place I found online called Rockywoods Fabrics. I'll let you know how it turns out!

bambi
04-29-2006, 16:49
just check if there's something you like
http://www.backcountry.com/store/group/100000195/c12/s100000010/Womens-Skirts.html

Skidsteer
04-29-2006, 19:33
just check if there's something you like
http://www.backcountry.com/store/group/100000195/c12/s100000010/Womens-Skirts.html

Bevs/Bambi: You're not fooling anybody. Tell the truth.

Hana_Hanger
04-29-2006, 20:13
Here's a great sale on this one...Just thought I would share.

I truly prefer my lava lava's or sarongs just like a kilt really.
Now I wonder why I spent so much on all of the following:
Hiking Shorts
Running Shorts
Mens Boxers
Board Shorts
Men's Swim Trunks
Woman's Skorts
Woman's Skirts
and almost bought that Macabi one too!

the Lavalava does triple duty as a towel, a sheet, a ground cloth...so many things and if you get the silk ones they are soooo comfy!
Darn I have no clue why I thought there could be something better out there that I must try...therefore had to buy.

Anyways here's the link....a good sale :)

http://www.bobwards.com/bobwards/servlet/item/features/87763-11?v_c=Where2GetIt

Lilred
04-30-2006, 11:47

Hiking Shorts
Running Shorts
Mens Boxers
Board Shorts
Men's Swim Trunks
Woman's Skorts
Woman's Skirts

the Lavalava does triple duty as a towel, a sheet, a ground cloth...so many things and if you get the silk ones they are soooo comfy!
Darn I have no clue why I thought there could be something better out there that I must try...therefore had to buy.

They have the same skirt at Campmor.com only not in floral patterns. They have solid colors. Same price. I was thinking of getting one of these.

Cuffs
05-08-2006, 17:22

Hiking Shorts
Running Shorts
Mens Boxers
Board Shorts
Men's Swim Trunks
Woman's Skorts
Woman's Skirts

I tried this skirt on at a local store... It is light weight, and comfy. However, it is straight cut (as opposed to A-line) I tried to walk around in it and found that when taking a long stride or stepping upwards, I was stopped in my tracks. There is little range of motion at the hem line...

Hana_Hanger
05-08-2006, 18:21
Thank you ALHikerGal
see now I am glad I did not waste any more money on this one either. :)

Lilred
05-08-2006, 21:13
Used sewing machine..................................$50
Blue polyester material at Walmart..............$6.45
Simple skirt pattern .................................$1.00

Hiking for six weeks on the AT
this summer........................................Pric eless :p

Cuffs
05-09-2006, 11:56
Used sewing machine..................................$50
Blue polyester material at Walmart..............$6.45
Simple skirt pattern .................................$1.00

Hiking for six weeks on the AT
this summer........................................Pric eless :p

I AGREE! I bought a cheap wrap skirt and like it, but I think I am just going to have to break down and sew my own. Hey, maybe if it turns out to be a good design, I could go into biz!!

Taking suggestions on Style (wrap, A-line...) Length. Pockets (should I put some cargo-type on the side seams?) Zipper, Velcro, button, pull-on? Fabrics?

Auntie Mame
05-11-2006, 21:10
Found what might be a good skirt with light under-shorts; black or navy, stretch-poly, at W$@mart. I just did a few days hiking in athletic tights, and I like the stretch factor, so hunted around for a warm weather alternative. Checked 2 different LL Bean's, Target and finally came up with an $11.00 item at Wally World. I'll try to remember to report in after I actually use it!
Marcia

Granola Mamma
06-16-2006, 22:51
Well, this is interesting. I've had to give this a lot of tought too, along with the "hair issue". We only wear skirts so I've known all along that it's going to be dresses for me. I know I'm going to get some weird looks, and probably comments too. But I don't care, I've dreamed of doing this for so long! See, we're a branch off of Mennonite, conservative Christian, and most of our dresses are ankle length but I can sometimes get away with mid-calf. I've not had any trouble so far hiking in them. I've just lived in shirts for so long that I don't think twice about being mindful of it. The only time I have to be extra-careful is around a campfire because it's not something I do every day. But, as I mentioned in the thread about bras, I wear lycra shorts underneath for a bit more modesty in case a sudden updraft comes along! Not that anyone wants to see my tidy whities! I can hear it now-Whooo hooo, heavy-set "Amish" chick's underpants! Checik it out everyone! Yeah, right. :)

Granola Mamma
06-16-2006, 22:53
Yikes, my spelling is off. Time for bed. In the above post, tought should be thought, and "shirt" should be skirt. I'm going to bed ya'all.

Jeanette
06-16-2006, 22:57
I'm afraid I'm one of the few dissenters on the topic of hiking in a skirt.

I made one out of quick-dry ripstop nylon and took it with me on a six-day section hike of GSMNP. I'm sorry to say that it wasn't all I had hoped it would be. :( Maybe I made it too long (I was kind of going for the Macabi look) -- it tended to drag through wet grass and get caught on low scrub-branches, and it got dirty in a hurry. But if I'd made it any shorter I don't think I woulda felt like I had enough coverage! I stopped hiking in it after the first day, but on several evenings I did use it for wearing around the shelter... it offered a comfy, dry option at the end of a long day. However, even that posed some problems -- a couple times my sleeping quarters were on the top tier of the shelter, and it was a little awkward climbing up there (modestly) in a skirt with 8 or 10 male hikers standing around... :rolleyes:

milemarker424
07-12-2006, 10:02
I tried a skirt for the first time this season and found it awesome! Definitely cooler than shorts. The only problem was the length! When I tried them on in the store, I was all shy and didn't want a short skirt. So I got one that was maybe 3 inches above my knee (I'm tall so that's still pretty long). But then, when I was hiking, after about 20 steps, I had to roll the waist up and by the end of the day the skirt was basically all the way rolled up and I looked ridiculous! The problem was those big uphill steps, especially on boulders where one leg goes way up and the other is way down and the skirt was restricting me! I think though I might cut slits up the leg on the sides so that the length is still long but the skirt moves more with walking. thoughts?

Chip
07-15-2006, 00:12
utilikilts.com you might look at this web site. They make the "Survival" style for men. Maybe they can sew one for the lady hikers too. :)

VictoriaM
07-29-2006, 23:03
I found some skirts on LL Bean that might interest you ladies. They're actually in the swimwear section.

http://tinyurl.com/e7f63

They're pretty short (almost to the knee), very tough, quick-drying, and have pockets. I've been wearing mine around the house since they came in, and will be taking them out for a trial hike on Monday. I'll let you know what I think. The big plus with buying from Bean, if you like them, is that they'll replace them for free if they wear out, no questions asked.

Mammoth
07-30-2006, 12:31
That skirt looks great, and the price is very appealing. I'll be looking forward to your review.

VictoriaM
07-30-2006, 21:43
I'm back from my hike (went a day early) and have good news. The skirt was great. I hiked from route 17A in NY to wildcat shelter and back, which covers a variety of terrain. The skirt was cool, didn't stick to my skin or ride up. I purposely went into a thorn patch to see what would happen, and was pleased that the shirt kept the thorns out of my skin, and didn't show any signs of being punctured. Going up steep hills the skirt would tighten on my legs, but I have a very long stride, so not everyone will have this problem (not that it was really a problem, I didn't feel constricted.). Despite going commando, I felt well ventilated, but not exposed, since the skirt is nearly knee legnth. The mesh pockets did not bunch, and the waistband was comfortable.

The only problem I had was when I had to go up over some very large rocks - big enough that I had to step way up and haul myself up with my arms. I had to tug the skirt up just a bit for these. I wasn't uncovered at any point, but someone who is very concerned with modesty might be uncomfortable with how close to uncovered I was. That would only be an issue when hiking with a partner, though.

I was impressed enough with the skirt that I think I'll buy some extras, and some other colors. It's nice enough that I would see myself wearing it around town, too. Definitely doesn't look like swimwear.

Cuffs
08-05-2006, 22:31
In an attempt at being "domestic" I bought some skirt patterns (on sale) and some fabric (also on sale) and am going to make some test skirts.

How long does everyone think a hiking skirt should be?

How straight? (like a pencil skirt or more ALine? Or somewhere in between?

I am using a stretchy fabric, kind of like swim suit material, so theres lots of give.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
ALH

corentin
08-05-2006, 23:56
If you make it too straight you won't be able to step up/take full strides. I think length would depend a lot on how much coverage you feel the need for.

Monster
08-14-2006, 15:04
Hiking skirts certainly sound like the way to go, but what about chafing? I find that when the air is humid, my thighs chafe together PAINFULLY. I also have this problem as a runner, but can avoid it by wearing lycra shorts or using Glide. Glide is fine for a run that lasts only a few hours, but I would hate to smell like it all the time if I had to wear it everyday while hiking!

shoe
09-10-2006, 01:57
I am definitely thinking of the hiking skirt, but I plan on wearing mine with the bicycle type shorts underneath. I am quite over weight and hate my thighs rubbing together. I wear these all the times, usually with shorts but I hate the way the shorts ride up and look all wonky. I may have to go hit the Goodwill soon or else learn how to sew.

Hammock Hanger
09-10-2006, 08:37
I am definitely thinking of the hiking skirt, but I plan on wearing mine with the bicycle type shorts underneath. I am quite over weight and hate my thighs rubbing together. I wear these all the times, usually with shorts but I hate the way the shorts ride up and look all wonky. I may have to go hit the Goodwill soon or else learn how to sew.

I had minor chaffing in the beginning but as my skin toughened and I started to lose weight that became a non-issue. Monistat powder cream worked wonders. -- That said on my last 2 hikes I started out quite a bit heavier and the chaffing was bad and I was w/o my Monistat. Nothing else worked. I ended up cutting my ltwt long johns into shorts and wore those underneath. I cut out the diamond shaped gusset -crotch, which still allowed me the freedom that I had learned to enjoy with a skirt.

Good luck with your hikes. Hammock Hanger

AZTrish
09-11-2006, 23:19
I bought 2 Sportif hiking skirts from STP early this year and wore them all season hiking in the 100+ degree desert heat.....I was worried about chafing too but also found some boy-cut microfiber panties at the VF outlet out here in Mesa and had no problems. The skirts are a little on the short side (about 5 inches above the knee) but I was much cooler than in shorts and the boy-cut briefs gave me coverage for climbing. And the skirts I purchased are made of that "quick dry" material and have quite a few pockets.

6's and 7's
09-12-2006, 09:50
i just finished a thru hike and i wore a tennis skirt that had built in shorts, i thought it was great, as far as restirictiveness i might as well have not worn anything, so liberating, and when i was bouldering and doing big steps(with very short legs) i never worried about showing anything to people behind me because of the shorts inside (which were kind of like spandex fitting). gets my approval, i hiked in it over half the time.

Blissful
12-12-2006, 12:45
Reviving the thread.

Just bought a Columbia hiking skirt for 10 bucks yesteday. Question? Do you have problems with mosquitoes flying up the skirt and uh...biting in different places?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-12-2006, 13:28
IME, mosquitoes avoid the 'different places' area. I did get a bee up my skirt once, but got him out without getting stung (though I did flash a couple of young fellows - the only damage being they nearly laughed themselves silly)

Wohelo
01-22-2007, 23:54
I use the Mountain Hardware Arroyo Skirt. I like this skirt because it hits right above my knee, but has an adjuster (like the ones at the bottom of fleece jackets) that allows you to hike it up higher if you need to. I found this helpful in situations of serious climbing. It has great deep pockets and a drawcord waist that doesn't rub and chafe my middle. It dries really fast too. I always wear boyshort underwear (exofficio - breathes great) and sometimes light weight tights underneath (i am fair skinned and I worry about the sun; also it keeps my legs clean).

Just thought I would chime in because I hadn't seen anyone mention this skirt just yet. I really love it. I have ditched my convertible pants for good.

Hammock Hanger
01-23-2007, 08:56
I love hiking in a skirt. I have to ask this queston to those that wear skorts. If the skirt has shorts under it, then it is like wearing a pair of shorts with a skirt on top. I have yet to understand this concept... why wear 2 types of coverage?? (With exception to the ones that have spandex shorts those I understand more. Well, at least I know I wouldn't be caught in spandex shorts w/o something over them.) Not flaming anyone, really just wondering....

Blissful
01-23-2007, 10:44
Yes, there is a extra piece of material or flap around the front so you look like you're wearing a short, short skirt. I have a few I love to wear in the summer, but not for hiking.

BYC
01-23-2007, 10:44
Two years ago while out on a hike I noticed skirts being worn primarily by the men. I figured if they thought it to be so great I'd give it a try. I bought Butterick 5577 fast and easy pattern. Although my size 6 frame came in at a size 12 Butterick sizing. I found boarding fabric and some nice fake ultra suede with a bit of lycra at Joann fabrics for under $5 a yard. The pattern has a very slight A-line, slits at side seams and a drawcord waist band. I added a side pocket. I made both skirts just above knee length. The boarding cloth skirt weighs 3.5 oz and the ultra suede skirt is 6 oz. I prefer the ultra suede skirt becauce of the lycra. It is warmer and good for the colder weather. I absolutly LOVE hiking in a skirt. It is very liberating. And I feel dressed up. It makes me feel good when the going gets tough.
Barbara

Chocolate Bandito
03-05-2007, 17:29
Wondered if any of you have tried hiking in a running skirt. I just ordered a gymgirl skirt from Triks (on sale at runningshoes.com) to possibly use for hiking. It has shorts underneath, so that will hopefully help with chafing issues. I've tried some other skirt-like things before, but none have been completely satisfactory. I had a Mountain Hardwear kilt (the unisex one), but it didn't fit well over my hips/butt. Plus, there was a seam on the sweat-catching fabric panel in the back that rubbed my skin raw. I also have a very lightweight rayon flowered skirt that I often hike it, but it is so light that I have to be really careful about it flying up in the wind. It also chafes if I wear it a long time without shorts. And, when I do wear bike shorts under it, it slides up the shorts till it sits uncomfortably high on my waist. So, I'm hoping the running skirt will fix those issues. Plus, it's a pretty hot pink color.:D

Mrs Baggins
03-12-2007, 14:58
I have one from Royal Robbins - all black and looks like a "skort". I love it, very comfy, nylon material, easy to wash and dry, wide comfy waist band.

jewelweed
07-01-2007, 22:48
In search of the perfect hiking skirt...I finally decided to make my own. Unfortunately, nearly impossible to find the material. So, I bought some clearanced hiking pants (exofficio's runamuck) and followed the jeans to skirt pattern. It is great because I can find the material I like then, make the skirt the lenght I want and add any features if I want. Also, the pattern is versitale. I actually only used one "panel" in the front and then made small split in the back. What ever you want. Just work with the pants you get.

http://www.savvyseams.com/clothing/jeanskirt.php

CherrypieScout
07-02-2007, 06:55
I saw hiker skirts at Dicks, a sporting goods store in Birmingham. It was made by Columbia. Had nice pockets. It was made of the same "wick away" material as their shorts and pants. Colors - green, kaki

ms doolittle
07-03-2007, 06:37
I wear a women's sportkilt from www.sportkilt.com (http://www.sportkilt.com). I love it, but it only has the one hidden pocket (which is small).

xirebos
07-07-2007, 02:07
Some more skirts for your consideration http://www.sahalie.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=818&path=1%2C2%2C5%2C813%2C818

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-07-2007, 08:20
Well, this is interesting. I've had to give this a lot of tought too, along with the "hair issue". We only wear skirts so I've known all along that it's going to be dresses for me. I know I'm going to get some weird looks, and probably comments too. But I don't care, I've dreamed of doing this for so long! See, we're a branch off of Mennonite, conservative Christian, and most of our dresses are ankle length but I can sometimes get away with mid-calf. I've not had any trouble so far hiking in them. I've just lived in shirts for so long that I don't think twice about being mindful of it. The only time I have to be extra-careful is around a campfire because it's not something I do every day. But, as I mentioned in the thread about bras, I wear lycra shorts underneath for a bit more modesty in case a sudden updraft comes along! Not that anyone wants to see my tidy whities! I can hear it now-Whooo hooo, heavy-set "Amish" chick's underpants! Checik it out everyone! Yeah, right. :)Granola Mamma, when I was a bit heavier, my favorite hiking attire was a mumu type dress in poly-cotton with bike shorts underneath. As you note, no one wants to see our granny-panties. I often used a ponytail holder to reel in the extra yardage around the hemline when near a campfire (and when the wind was vicious). If I planned to hike long distance I think I would consider installing a permanant loop or possibly a bit of lightweight shockcord in the hem.

My dresses were about 4" below the knee and I found I could pull my legs up in the dress and attach the ponytail holder to close off the bottom while sitting around in camp to stay warm (after all the chores were done). It looks sort of like a baby's bunting.

lilmountaingirl
07-07-2007, 11:32
Skirts are definitely my preferred attire for hiking. I like my Sportkilt for cooler weather, will layer with a pair of Under Armor running tights if it's really chilly out. In warmer weather I toggle between a Nike board skirt and a Victoria's Secret (yea, yea, I know...) Shock Absorber skirt. The board skirt and VS skirt are shorter but much cooler and dry much faster than the Sport Kilt. I've also got a tennis skirt that I haven't worn on the trail, but probably will try at some point.

I find skorts to be a little uncomfortable.

That said, if I'm doing something where there is a lot of scrambling (ie Knife Edge on Mt. K), I'll wear shorts just so it's not a XXX hike. ;)

peanuts
07-07-2007, 17:04
i have been looking at the macabi skirts. mult-functional.

Programbo
07-07-2007, 21:24
I hate to sound stupid...But...What exactly makes a skirt a "hiking skirt"?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-07-2007, 21:45
To me, a hiking skirt has to be made of a material that can stand the rigors of hiking and will dry quickly. It also has to be a style that will allow you to climb, step over big rocks, blowdowns, etc and won't do the Marilyn Monroe fly-up in wind.

Cuffs
07-07-2007, 22:21
Well said FD! Now, if I could find just such a creature!

Johnny Swank
07-07-2007, 23:25
Anyone have a line on a good, simple pattern for a hiking kilt for a 6'2" guy? I'm sold on using a kilt after stealing my wife's sarong all day. No, I'm not going to call it a skirt!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-07-2007, 23:34
A traditional kilt pattern (http://www.scottishdance.net/highland/MakingKilt.html)

Programbo
07-08-2007, 10:10
]......and won't do the Marilyn Monroe fly-up in wind[/I].

Oh well forget it then :p

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-08-2007, 10:12
Oh well forget it then :p Sara, what am I gonna do with you.... for you, we will allow the Marilyn Monroe skirt - in 1.7 ripstop uncoated

peanuts
07-09-2007, 08:38
check out these!!! http://www.macabiskirt.com. i am saving my pennies for one:)

modiyooch
07-09-2007, 09:02
My skirt is by Brooks and I bought it at a running store, Feet Fleet. It has comression shorts. Anyway, I got caught in a rain storm. The skirt repelled the water and dried quickly. The shorts remained dry. I will say that when you wash the skirt, the shorts take longer to dry.

ms doolittle
07-09-2007, 10:28
That said, if I'm doing something where there is a lot of scrambling (ie Knife Edge on Mt. K), I'll wear shorts just so it's not a XXX hike. ;)
Thanks for that information. Duely noted. ;)

Ewker
07-09-2007, 11:47
I wear a women's sportkilt from www.sportkilt.com (http://www.sportkilt.com). I love it, but it only has the one hidden pocket (which is small).

and you look nice wearing it :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-09-2007, 12:43
Has anyone added a skirt to a pair of bike shorts? The plump female dino in compression shorts is not a pretty sight.... I'm thinking a lightweight skirt with some pockets would improve both other hikers' view and the utility of the combo.

soulshine26
07-10-2007, 00:08
Yikes! If I tried to hike in a skirt, my thighs would rub together so severely that they'd catch me on fire! Chafing is not a pretty thing. :)
But in all seriousness, How does this skirt, work? What are the benefits? I have always worn pants w/ zip off legs.

Marta
07-10-2007, 07:30
I like the idea of skirts, but in reality loose shorts work better for me. They have the advantages of a skirt (ease of peeing) with the advantages of shorts (chafing prevention). I keep looking at skirts in catalogs like Title 9 and Road Runner Sports and thinking to myself--having shorts under the skirt is substituting two pieces of clothing for one. So I don't think I'll be skirting around anytime soon.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-10-2007, 07:51
Yikes! If I tried to hike in a skirt, my thighs would rub together so severely that they'd catch me on fire! Chafing is not a pretty thing. :)
But in all seriousness, How does this skirt, work? What are the benefits? I have always worn pants w/ zip off legs.I wear (hide your eyes fellows) crotchless bike shorts under my skirt for chafe protection and fire prevention :D. The advantage of the skirt for me is the amount of air that can get up under the skirt to keep the nether region from getting swampy, being able to pee without removing my pack and the extra coverage afforded to my ample hienny. As Marta notes, the skirt is an extra piece of gear. If I was as skinny as Marta, I use loose shorts - loose shorts end up bunching up between my thunder-thighs and causing more problems with chafing than they solve. A skirt over the XXX bike shorts gives me the best of all worlds - lots of air, lots of pockets (in the skirt as bike shorts don't have pockets) and the ability to pee without taking off my pack.

ms doolittle
07-11-2007, 12:28
FYI ladies. Ewker really isn't a stalker. He likes to pretend from time to time. No, he had to send me a PM because I haven't slapped him for this comment yet. ;)

So... here ya go, Ewks! http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/taunt006.gif

:D

and you look nice wearing it

Marta
07-11-2007, 16:52
If I was as skinny as Marta...

Oh, please, Lady. Last time I saw you you were skinnier than I am.:D

I have the bunching/chafing problem with some shorts, too. It's trial and error to find ones that work. Spandex shorts roll up and make tourniquets around the tops of my legs--neither comfortable nor attractive. I'll go around in tights (also not an attractive look on me, but who cares?), but not Spandex shorts.

Ms. Dino, are you still following the LW diet? Is it still working?

I'm about to start the JMT diet. Go for a longish hike in a place poorly supplied with town food. I'll probably gain ten pounds when I get back...to add to the 10 I've gained since reaching Springer.:rolleyes:

Marta/Five-Leaf

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-11-2007, 18:00
I've been following the LW diet as much as possible -- however, tons of company, tons of eating out, and many, many snacks with my grand and great-grandkids has derailed the LW diet for the past coupple of weeks. I'm hoping to get back in sync by Thursday. I have a seven yo great-grandson right now, but he's in the shower getting ready for church tonight.

Bubble Toes
07-17-2007, 10:17
I just got this skirt for hiking a few weeks ago and love it so far. It has lots of strech and wicks well for me. Maybe I just really loved the price.

http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/product/759907

Cuffs
07-17-2007, 13:20
I just got this skirt for hiking a few weeks ago and love it so far. It has lots of strech and wicks well for me. Maybe I just really loved the price.

http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/product/759907

OH... Youre one of those "skinny people with great legs" arent you!?!? Its a nice skirt, but I want something just a tad longer... say.... that hits at or just above the knee...

Blissful
07-17-2007, 15:38
Anyone have a line on a good, simple pattern for a hiking kilt for a 6'2" guy? I'm sold on using a kilt after stealing my wife's sarong all day. No, I'm not going to call it a skirt!

I got my hubby a Sportkilt - the blue hiking one for Father's Day. He just loved it (wore it the last few weeks while we were in NY to MA). He did have an issue or two with it (of which I won't mention here), so he did use some bodyglide. But I think some of it might be resolved with losing weight which comes naturally with a long distance hike. He was also glad to see several men out there in kilts. Had some interesting questions like "What clan are you from" and of course "Are you Scottish". He did change to shorts in town though, esp in CT.

desertlavender
02-01-2012, 22:12
The best hiking skirts I have found so far are made by a craftsperson in Tucson, Arizona, named Robin Hall. She has a web site at www.athenagarments.com. She doesn't have an online store, but email her if you're interested. I have two of her skirts. They're both made of fast-drying poly/cotton in very pretty prints with velcro closures and the last I heard she was selling them for $35 apiece.

Sierra Echo
02-01-2012, 22:19
I just get pleated mini skirts from the good will. Put on a baselayer and it works great! :)

Cuffs
02-02-2012, 11:19
Putting on anything under a skirt defeats the purpose...

doritotex
02-02-2012, 11:55
I have long wanted to wear a hiking skirt. Where in the world do you find one? Are there any with pockets? I wear mens hiking pants with zip off legs so I have something to wear no matter what the weather and they have a lot of pockets (which I use). I don't sew, so I need to find one already made.There are lots of choices of course, but no one is answering your question, a skirt with pockets! And not just one teeny pocket! I've researched skirts and I can't find one with enough pockets! What's with women's clothing and NO decent pockets?!! That's why I buy men's pants, so I have roomy pockets!

Sierra Echo
02-02-2012, 15:38
Putting on anything under a skirt defeats the purpose...

It all just depends on who is behind you.

birdygal
02-02-2012, 17:56
check out these!!! http://www.macabiskirt.com. i am saving my pennies for one:)

Those are nice

Cuffs
02-05-2012, 21:26
It all just depends on who is behind you.

Huh? Don't be wearin a micro mini and it don't matter.

Slow n' Steady
02-11-2012, 09:38
When I was doing my PA section, I found a Mountain Hardwear skirt in Delaware Water Gap. I wear it all the time now and love it. It dries quickly, hitches up for hiking mountains and drops down for looking decent in town. It has pockets, but they are not the greatest. Other than that, it's a great skirt.

GrandCanyonWildflowr
05-15-2012, 14:45
Has anyone tried a sarong?

Minnitonka
05-30-2012, 09:38
I found a Nike skirt yesterday for $10. I think it may be a tennis skirt- but it will work for hiking. It has the built in panty, or maybe its a skort- I don't know, but it is moisture wicking, drys fast and is light weight. There are no pockets. But it should do the trick for hiking.

I found it at Marshalls- I also found great moisture wicking bras for about $12. Much better price than the local outdoor outfitters who want at least $35 per bra!

Shebear
06-14-2012, 09:12
It is really cool to see the changes available since this thread was first posted! I have been wearing a Marathon Girl Ultra skirt by Skirt Sports for 3 years. I bought my first one when I ran Marine Corps Marathon, and have found it to be a necessary article of clothing since then. I wear it trail running all the time. The material is very lightweight, cooling, and has "spankies" attached, not shorts. It has one small ziper pocket on the back hip that can keep a key, ID, ipod or small phone in. Anything heavy pulls your skirt down, especially if running. I recently saw another skirt called Happy Girl by the same company that has shorts under with silicone to keep the shorts from riding up. There are pockets on the legs of the shorts plus a zip pocket on the back. The length is a little longer, which will help keep the nay-sayers from giving me the stink eye for the short one. I really want to try this one for hiking, but they seem to be sold out everywhere. :(
Anyway, happy hiking.
Shebear

sailsET
06-22-2012, 22:39
man are the women's skirts a little short or am I turning into my mother?

It is, indeed, a bit disconcerting when we notice our mother's words issuing from our own brains! Sheesh!

oldbear
06-23-2012, 00:09
I know that this is a female forum But I'm a guy that needs some freedom of movement and some ventilation :Basically I'm gonna need a man skirt
So when men's bathing suits go on sale at summer's end I'm gonna buy four of the kind that most resemble hiking shorts . pay somebody to make 2 man -skirts out of them ...and see what happens

Cuffs
06-24-2012, 09:15
There are men's hiking kilts...

Wildewoman
06-30-2012, 22:30
Did a hike today in a cute little Jockey knit skirt. Perfect length, two nice deep pockets. It was hot, humid today, but I wasn't feeling it. I'm not sure a skirt has to be made by any particular outfitter. It just has to fit bill!

SassyWindsor
07-01-2012, 01:35
My sister recently purchased this "running dress" I'll borrow it and give it try. Looks interesting.

http://www.rei.com/product/831064/sporthill-charlotte-running-dress-special-buy

freckles
07-09-2012, 10:53
Doesn't look like anybody has posted this link yet:

http://www.titlenine.com/

I love this site, and they've got a bunch of knee-length sport skirts that they advertise as quick drying. I've been looking at them a while now but haven't been able to decide which I like best.

elkie-girl
07-25-2012, 01:44
I know that this is a female forum But I'm a guy that needs some freedom of movement and some ventilation :Basically I'm gonna need a man skirt
So when men's bathing suits go on sale at summer's end I'm gonna buy four of the kind that most resemble hiking shorts . pay somebody to make 2 man -skirts out of them ...and see what happens

Just buy a plain skirt, probably A-line or flared at the bottom, probably khaki, tan or grey color and enjoy it. You would look "strange" to anyone straight anyways, learn to deal with it (you probably did already), but you'd spend much less money if go just with a skirt and forget about those stupid man-skirt things.

Gunny Huber
07-28-2012, 12:44
http://www.sportkilt.com/category/51/Commando-Kilt.html
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Men%27s-Elkommando%E2%84%A2-Kilt/OM3417,default,pd.html

For the men and, i guess, some women.

http://www.sportkilt.com/category/64/Hiking-Kilt.html