PDA

View Full Version : Hot Springs to Daleville in November?

LuckyMan
12-09-2014, 17:41
I'm planning to hike out west this summer and early autumn but am interested in hiking a section of the AT, from Hot Springs NC to Daleville VA, starting in late October going into November. Could anyone who has hiked this section that time of year or who lives in that area please tell me what kind of weather there may be? How about water sources, hostels etc.? Is there likely to be fall color in the Virginia mountains in November or will it be too late? Thanks for any advice.

illabelle
12-09-2014, 18:06
Most of the fall color is gone by November. Water should be fine. I wouldn't count on hostels being open unless you've checked with them personally.
I haven't hiked this whole section, but I've done significant parts of it. Something one really must consider is that weather is not determined only by latitude, but also elevation. This section includes Roan Mountain - which has the highest shelter on the entire AT, Mt Rogers - the highest elevation in Virginia, and some rugged terrain south of Daleville - Dragon's Tooth comes to mind. These places may be beautiful, but they'll be subject to early snows, treacherous ice-glazed rocks, and bone-chilling wind.
I love hiking in the fall, and don't mind a little cold weather, but I'm only doing weekend stuff, so I can match a destination with the weather forecast on short notice - not so easy if you're planning a 450-mile trek.
Maybe you should aim for a section further north at lower elevations?

The Cleaner
12-09-2014, 18:09
In this area the fall weather is very changeable. I was out on 10-3 this year and was greeted to 38* at around noon near Jerry's Cabin shelter. It didn't get much colder but was very windy so I stayed in the shelter which is not always an option. On a later maintenance trip to the shelter it was 68* and sunny on 10-27 in the fields above the shelter. Later that weekend it snowed 22" at Mt. LeConte in the GSMNP. There was also some snow here on the AT, how much I never found out. We had a visit from the Polar Vortex in mid November dropping temps into the teens here in the TN valley with colder temps at higher elevations. As for water conditions a dry summer can lead to dry springs in the fall. You could post again closer to your trip to get recent water reports. As for leaf color, most leaves are gone above 4000ft. by mid to late October.

johnnybgood
12-09-2014, 22:12
The most challenging section to procure water will likely be during your last 20 miles from Catawba to Daleville. My advice to you is best fill your water bladder before leaving the Homeplace Restaurant . Oh yeah ...,make sure not to miss the AYCE buffet at the Homeplace and get there before they close .
They are open only for Dinner Thurs-Sat till 8pm, Sun- Lunch & Dinner till 6pm.

As for the Autumn colors, not much to see in late October -early November at elevation 2000 and above.

Unitic
12-09-2014, 22:42
I did Daleville to Hot Springs in Nov. of 2013 and the comments thus far are spot on.

LuckyMan
12-11-2014, 14:56
Thanks for the help. Would Daleville to Harpers Ferry be better that time of year?
Or, depending how late I get back from the Sierras, might consider the Foothills Trail or Bartram or Cohutta or Pinhoti.

FarmerChef
12-11-2014, 16:36
The Shennies can get pretty iffy unless you're prepared for snow and ice. If you're prepared for the temps and precipitation then it's no big deal and beautiful.

Angle
12-11-2014, 16:52
The most challenging section to procure water will likely be during your last 20 miles from Catawba to Daleville. My advice to you is best fill your water bladder before leaving the Homeplace Restaurant . Oh yeah ...,make sure not to miss the AYCE buffet at the Homeplace and get there before they close .
They are open only for Dinner Thurs-Sat till 8pm, Sun- Lunch & Dinner till 6pm.

As for the Autumn colors, not much to see in late October -early November at elevation 2000 and above.

I'm doing this section on Saturday, won't there be water at the stream north of Lamberts Meadow Shelter? Iceman