PDA

View Full Version : Shell convenience store at Atkins VA road crossing

Pajj
12-09-2014, 22:36
Can anyone give details about the ressuply selection available at the Shell convenience store at the road crossing for Atkins VA? Trying to figure out if there would be enough there to get me to Pearisburg (5 or 6 days)

Slo-go'en
12-09-2014, 23:40
They have a fair selection of stuff if your not too picky. Marion is a better resupply as it has all the major supermakets and a walmart, but is a little harder to get in and out of in one day.

takethisbread
12-10-2014, 00:03
Oh yes for sure! They even have sandwiches and those small pizza things. And it's a easy hitch down the street to Dollar General if you have a prob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starchild
12-10-2014, 00:04
5 or 6 days is a lot to ask from that place, it is doable, but limited selection.

There is also Trent's Grocer along the way (0.5 miles off) which is more limited but can be used for a top off.

Woods Hole Hostel also a welcome stop in that area.

And 2 other towns that are accessible and usually a easy hitch

CarlZ993
12-10-2014, 00:26
I recall some slim pickings @ the convenience store. I did a mail drop in Atkins @ the Relax Inn. A 5-day hike will get you to Pearisburg. I never hiked later than 3:59 pm each day (Knot Maul, Jenkins, Jenny Knob, Woods Hole Hostel, & Pearisburg).

freightliner
12-10-2014, 06:33
If you're in the middle or the end of the bubble it could get tricky. Last winter when I went through there I managed to scrounge up enough food but the problem is they didn't have any heat. They told me they can't seem to keep it in the store I felt like saying why don't you just order more. Luckily I had just enough to make it to partnership shelter where they have some at the visitor center.

bigcranky
12-10-2014, 08:24
It's a small convenience store. It's possible to get enough food for a few days, but 5-6 would be pushing it. Also, the Exxon next door had reopened as of September, which adds a similar store for twice the selection (and they were planning to open a Mexican restaurant iirc.)

But for a full resupply for that long, I'd probably go into Marion from the Mt Rogers HQ buiding (Partnership shelter.) There is cheap bus service and it's only one day south of Atkins.

Don H
12-10-2014, 09:30
It's OK if you don't mind eating Slim Jims, beef jerky and Doritos for dinner for a few nights. A mail drop to the Relax Inn ($5 fee) would be better in my opinion. The Barn Restaurant also takes mail drops but you would need to hit it when they're open.

tiptoe
12-10-2014, 10:01
Yes, the Shell station is junk food heaven, with most candy super-sized. I too did a maildrop, and got more substantial food at the Dollar Store. Trent's Grocery was a big disappointment for me in terms of resupply, but I did buy my first Little Debbie's pies there, and the hamburgers were very tasty.

Lone Wolf
12-10-2014, 10:10
Can anyone give details about the ressuply selection available at the Shell convenience store at the road crossing for Atkins VA? Trying to figure out if there would be enough there to get me to Pearisburg (5 or 6 days)

it's a gas station. nothin' but junk food. hitch or get a cab to marion, 8 miles away or do what bigcranky suggests

Sly
12-10-2014, 11:57
You could go into Bland which is half way to Pearisburg and has a grocery store

Pajj
12-10-2014, 12:47
Sly, I was hoping to get from Damascus to Atkins, then from Atkins to Pearisburg, therefore skipping Troutdale and Bland(which I've been told isn't the best for resupply) which were on my original plan. Not sure why I thought the Shell at this road crossing would be any different from another gas station, Atkins just seemed to be a good midway point between Damascus and Pearisburg. I'd like to only resupply once in between those two stops if possible, which made the Shell seem like an easy option being as it's right on the trail. Thank you all for your insight! very helpful.

Slo-go'en
12-10-2014, 13:04
You could go into Bland which is half way to Pearisburg and has a grocery store

Bland is a good stop. Not too hard to hitch in and out of. The gas station convenience store has a good grill and basic supplies.

Had a bit of trail magic last year when I passed by there. A few of us got a ride all the way to a DQ a few miles out of town. Getting back looked like it was going to be a problem until I talked the driver of an old folks bus which had taken a group to the Dollar store into taking us. I just asked for a ride back to the center of town where it would have been easier to hitch up the road to the trail, but he took us all the way back. The old ladies on the bus were having fun talking to us, so maybe that's why he went the extra distance.

Trents is also a good little lunch stop, though I think I got a touch of food poisoning from the grill. The kid working the grill didn't look to have the best hygiene.

kf1wv
12-11-2014, 06:14
. . . an old folks bus . . . The old ladies on the bus . . .

Really, Slo-go'en? -1

73, kf1wv

July
12-11-2014, 08:09

If you wish to stay on point/trail, mail drop box to relax inn which is just steps off the trail. Or... just re-up at the gas station...? Huh?