PDA

View Full Version : Filtering/treating water for dog

CynJ
10-24-2005, 08:03
For those that hike with their dogs -do you filter/treat their water? :-?

I was thinking about that this weekend as we were hiking. I've never hesitated to allow Myra to drink out of clean, moving water without any sort of treatment. We've hiked all over CT/MA and she's drunk out of all sorts of streams/rivers without problem. I don't allow her to drink out of standing water or a boggy/swampy stagnant pool. Or water draining directly off of a road.

I know the "hiking with dogs" question has been beaten to death already and I'm not looking for a rehash here.

the goat
10-24-2005, 08:15
no need to filter for the dog, she should be fine drinking from just a/b any source.....at least my dog is.

The Hog
10-24-2005, 08:21
Unfortunately, it is not possible to eyeball a water source and make a reliable judgement as to purity. What appears to be crystal clear, moving water, can, and often is, loaded with bacteria. This can be determined by laboratory testing for total coliforms or E. coli.

I have personally tested clear, moving water coming out of a wildlife management area in Vermont (woods, no pastures or human developments), and found that it had both coliforms AND E. coli. That demonstrates fecal contamination by warm blooded animals, which in turn indicates the possible presence of intestinal pathogens. After such a test, any state health department will tell you that humans should not drink the water without treatment that kills or removes viruses, bacteria, and protozoans. The water was crystal clear, did not smell, and certainly looked potable. But the tests indicated otherwise.

I've never heard of drinking water standards for dogs, but it's an interesting question. One might presume that dogs have stomachs and immune systems that are superior to humans, but has it been proven?

CynJ
10-24-2005, 08:36
Wow - I found a great article!

http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/beaglehealth_giardiasis.htm

RLC_FLA
10-24-2005, 09:39
CynJ

In the mid 80's my future wife and her GSD were hiking from springet to the Smokeys, they BOTH came down with Giardisis (sp) just before the NOC.

RLC_FLA
GAME->'89

The Solemates
10-24-2005, 11:50
like I could stop my dog from drinking straight from a stream when he is thirsty anyways....so i think this subject is moot.

stupe
10-24-2005, 20:56
like I could stop my dog from drinking straight from a stream when he is thirsty anyways....so i think this subject is moot.Not to mention dogs licking their feet, most of our dogs have done that. Also, our dogs over the years have eaten other dogs feces, the cats feces, rotten bunker (dead fish used as striped bass bait), Portland Cement, sawdust, compost (sick for three days,cra**ed it out, good as new) , NYC puddle water, and my cooking. They all lived fairly long lives.
I have heard, but can't qualify, the story that dogs are more resistant to intestinal parasites than humans.
I would suggest having the dog checked for worms regularly, ( most wild mammals have roundworms, at least ) and keep an extra close eye on a trail dog , making sure that he or she was looking healthy, and eating and defecating alright. Visually examine the dogs feces, it's a good indicator to what's going on inside.

hikerjohnd
10-24-2005, 21:02
I adopted Bill Irwin's philosophy - if the dog would drink from the water source, so would I. So far so good...

stupe
10-24-2005, 21:18
I adopted Bill Irwin's philosophy - if the dog would drink from the water source, so would I. So far so good...I would'nt drink from my dogs favorite water source til after I had scrubbed it and flushed it several times....

hikerjohnd
10-24-2005, 21:43
I would'nt drink from my dogs favorite water source til after I had scrubbed it and flushed it several times....
Thank god my pup doesn't like to drink there!!! :D

CynJ
10-24-2005, 21:56
I would'nt drink from my dogs favorite water source til after I had scrubbed it and flushed it several times....
lol...that's Myra's favorite watering hole! :D

stupe
10-24-2005, 21:59
Thank god my pup doesn't like to drink there!!! :DOur cats try to drink out of it, too. One of them fell in once. The rabbit wants to try it, but can't reach. It's not like we don't give them water, they all have cutesy water bowls, with valet service regarding water changes and refills. The dogs especially prefer the toilet. I can't figure them out.

Nightwalker
10-24-2005, 22:44
I adopted Bill Irwin's philosophy - if the dog would drink from the water source, so would I. So far so good...
I like the Matthew 6:25-34 philosophy: Don't worry, be happy.

It ain't killed me yet!

Yeah, I sometimes treat water, like below Standing Indian shelter in that swampy creek, or if the spring is really slow and full of salamanders, but usually I just drink it!

:D