PDA

View Full Version : Financial Insight for a Thru-Hike

Texaco
12-10-2014, 20:10
Friends,

As a member on the A.T. Class of '14 Facebook page, I've noticed a lot of people asking about financial information for a thru-hike as they plan for 2015. A year ago, I was in the same position, wondering what would need to be spent and how much I'd have to have in reserves for cash to make it through. As they say, there are many who get off the trail due to lack of finance.

I went through my credit card statements when I returned from Katahdin and broke all the information down into spreadsheets to share on my blog as readers often asked about money spent. I'd like to share that information with you guys as you prepare for your own hikes. The following is based on ON TRAIL EXPENSES ONLY! Not the buying of gear beforehand. I took 114 days to get from Springer to Katahdin, with 5 of those being zero days. I stayed in many hostels, from ToG to Kincora, Wood's Hole to Chet's Place. 3 nights were spent in a hotel room, none of which were paid for solely by myself (split with fellow hikers).

If there's any more information you're interested in, I wrote a very detailed and picture-heavy blog - www.2180miles.com (http://www.2180miles.com)

Hopefully this can help some of you out. Best of luck.

Texaco

---

Total A.T. Thru-Hike Expense: $2,101.10
Restaurants: $615.51
Resupplies: $864.80
Post Office: $45.96
Gear: $199.92
Movies: $31.50
Lodging: $203.85

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/djflyy/djflyy020/ScreenShot2014-12-10at40233PM.png

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/djflyy/djflyy020/ScreenShot2014-12-10at40239PM.png

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/djflyy/djflyy020/ScreenShot2014-12-10at40246PM.png

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/djflyy/djflyy020/ScreenShot2014-12-10at40253PM.png

CarlZ993
12-10-2014, 22:31
Impressive documentation of your hike's expenses. You had a quick thru-hike as well. That also helps keep your expenses down (less time on the trail to spend money).

I'll give an example of someone who took a little longer to hike (3/21 to 8/19/2013; 152 days) & spent more on lodging (36 nights in hostel & 27 nights in a motel). All told, my expenses were just above $6,600.

The further I went along on my hike, the more likely I was to seek places to get fed, dry, & clean. My hiking mantra became, "I'm spending my grand children's inheritance.' I even wrote that in the shelter journals. That got some chuckles from other hikers.

Congrats on your hike & your documentation of your expenditures. It will undoubtedly be useful to other hikers.

Slo-go'en
12-10-2014, 22:45
Your resupply costs seems to be really low and not very frequent. Did you get subsidized by packages from home or eat really poorly?

Old_Man
12-11-2014, 00:04
Your resupply costs seems to be really low and not very frequent. Did you get subsidized by packages from home or eat really poorly?

It seems like the restaurants kind of even it out?

I thought the figure seemed low too but that is a pretty quick hike and the travel and gear bought before hand aren't listed. I'm planning a flip-flop on a shoestring budget and this is pretty encouraging.

garlic08
12-11-2014, 00:25
My costs in 2008 for a 106-day hike were very similar. I spent a little more on restaurants, a little less on trail food, but substantially more on lodging since I'm a middle-aged guy with a credit card.

rickb
12-11-2014, 04:54
That must have been a heck of of a meal in Hanover!

Mags
12-11-2014, 12:52
Not quite ~$800/mo. About in line for a disciplined thru-hiker. Anyone who does a 3 month thru-hike probably falls into that category. :)

Tuxedo
12-11-2014, 15:46

that Hanover co-op on the trail did cost alot when I went thru but so worth it. Including a 1lb Delmonico I hiked in to the next shelter

I spent 3or4x on restaurants I also did a steak dinner every state crossing as a reward. Food I never carried was well worth the cost!

but re-supply was half and mail cost more. Hostel and hotel bill I know was more but not much more. My bill was closer to $3300ish I'd guess since I didnt keep methodical record. I just know if I had to I could live on $10 a week once I had pre bought food and drops. Really lived on $80 a week. The Doyle alone was over $80 for example cause we partied like a rock partied like a rockstar, lunch and dinner and enough Yuengling to float in. I'll AT hike avg. about 125mi a week with 1nero and 1zero

rocketsocks
12-11-2014, 16:39
Nice shootin' Tex...that clears up a long standing question with that very figure (2 grand) that seems to come up pretty often and is congruent with many Original Posters saying, and after much discussion that they could do it on $2,000 when apprised that $4-$5 at a minimum is pretty standard.

Slo-go'en
12-11-2014, 16:57
Well, he did just admit it was probably more like $3300, which is a more realistic figure.

rocketsocks
12-11-2014, 17:01
Well, he did just admit it was probably more like $3300, which is a more realistic figure.
aaaah now I see, thought maybe I mis-read it. Your talkin' about Tux, I was refering to Tex.

rocketsocks
12-11-2014, 17:04
o'coarse doin it in 4 months is key.

Texaco
12-11-2014, 17:06

No mail drops, and I wouldn't say I ate poorly. Solely as an observation, and in no way a pat on my own pack, I don't think it's possible to hike 25-30 mile days for weeks on end unless I was eating at least somewhat nutritionally. Along those same lines, by hiking faster (100 miles every 4 days for the most part) I could stretch out my resupplies. When I slowed down to hike with a group between MA and the Maine border, I had to resupply more often and therefore spent more in the same distances.

I thought the figure seemed low too but that is a pretty quick hike and the travel and gear bought before hand aren't listed. I'm planning a flip-flop on a shoestring budget and this is pretty encouraging.

I figure enough people talk about travel and gear costs, but despite speculation and guesses, not many document the actual on-trail expenses. I just wanted to provide that aspect, from my hike time, to people planning. It at least is some kind of reference, which I'm glad you find encouraging for your own hike.

My costs in 2008 for a 106-day hike were very similar. I spent a little more on restaurants, a little less on trail food, but substantially more on lodging since I'm a middle-aged guy with a credit card.

I don't think I fiscally fall in line with most my age, so it wasn't a matter of penny pinching to stretch through, but am frugal and focused on spending my days hiking. I wasn't as keen to get off the trail and go into town... it always felt like I was cheating on the A.T. haha.

I lost a bet and bought dinner for myself and two other hikers... and now that I think about it more, the bleu cheese stuffed meatballs were amazing!

Texaco
12-11-2014, 17:11

Usernames seem to have thrown you off there. Your comment references Tuxedo, I- the OP, am Texaco.

rocketsocks
12-11-2014, 17:16
...not fur nothin' Texico, but you may want to consider turning that info into an article here, seems solid, and I think many would benefit from it....now could they implement it with discipline it took to attain, Dat be a whole nother question?

jawnzee
12-11-2014, 21:32
I don't think I fiscally fall in line with most my age, so it wasn't a matter of penny pinching to stretch through, but am frugal and focused on spending my days hiking. I wasn't as keen to get off the trail and go into town... it always felt like I was cheating on the A.T. haha.

I lost a bet and bought dinner for myself and two other hikers... and now that I think about it more, the bleu cheese stuffed meatballs were amazing!

Thanks for the detailed report!

What was the bet?

Scooter2
12-11-2014, 22:48
Thanks for the report Tex. Followed your site and key to your low cost seems to be that you stayed on the trail with few zeroes.

Texaco
12-12-2014, 17:55
Thanks for the detailed report!

What was the bet?

You're quite welcome... bet wise, I couldn't even begin to remember.

Thanks for the report Tex. Followed your site and key to your low cost seems to be that you stayed on the trail with few zeroes.

I agree completely... best way to save money is not to spend it in the first place. I certainly had a more "focused" hike than some others, HYOH and all, but still very much enjoyed every aspect of the trail. If you followed the blog you probably picked up on that. I always replied to the "you don't get the full experience" comments with "I couldn't blog 2,000 words a day if I wasn't experiencing the trail"... many memories, many experiences.

ctebeau
12-12-2014, 22:38
This is incredibly helpful! thanks!:)

Skye15
12-17-2014, 15:26
On-trail finances have been an area i'm stressed on, thanks for the post, super helpful!

RED-DOG
12-17-2014, 15:57
If Texaco added his gear, Transportation cost it would have been more like $5000 or more, that's about right. after a person buys all the gear and transportation you'll spend around $4000+ on the trail. $3300 seemed a little low for a 4 month hike

I seriously think he had a few Mail Drops mixed in their, and supplemented the food with food he bought at stores, the reason I say this is some of the cost at a few of the resupply stops seemed way low for the distances he was covering between some of the stops.

On my 2012 thru I spent $5700 total cost that includes Gear and transportation, so on trail I spent roughly around $4300, and it took me 4.5 months

Thanks Texaco this gives prospective thru-hikers a rough idea on how much they should expect to spend on trail.

Texaco
12-17-2014, 16:09
I seriously think he had a few Mail Drops mixed in their, and supplemented the food with food he bought at stores, the reason I say this is some of the cost at a few of the resupply stops seemed way low for the distances he was covering between some of the stops.

This is in fact the internet, and context is tough... but are you implying that I'm not telling the truth?

I've stated more than once now that I never once got mail drops with food. I purchased everything I ate, and everything is detailed above. I received two boxes on the trail, each with a pair of new Trail Runners and a 2lb bag of twizzlers or Mike & Ikes. I literally have zero reason to exaggerate or leave out details here - this post is to help other people planning, not to make myself look like a godsend of A.T. Finances. I booked my travel with air miles, as I travel for a living, so that cost me nothing out of pocket. Gear was easily less than $2k. I spent just over $2,000 on the trail.

If you want to get into what I spent on gear, we can. That's a whole other thing. In the mean time, I'd ask that you please read what I've said and make note that I DID NOT RECEIVE FOOD FROM MAIL DROPS ON THE TRAIL. I hiked long distances and did them quickly. There's an entire page on my blog dedicated to mileage - feel free to review it:

http://www.2180miles.com/hike-stats.html

In the mean time... I continue to hope that this provides assistance for people planning. My financial numbers are only those pertaining to the first post on this thread, and any additional details I've provided in my own posts since... Let's keep this clear and understood.

garlic08
12-17-2014, 23:10
Texaco, as I said in a previous post your numbers on food are nearly exactly what I spent for a similar-paced AT hike. I'll back you up with my experience on the AT and several other long hikes.

I hiked with a partner on the AT. We shopped at the same stores and ate at the same restaurants. He spent nearly twice what I did on food. My typical grocery bill for an 80-mile four day resupply would be about $25. His would be $50 or over, and would include lots of expensive packaged stuff. At the restaurant, I'd spend less than $10 and he'd spend a minimum of $20. Yet we both had excellent, fun hikes, we both stayed strong and healthy, and we both stayed within our budgets. Neither of us cared what the other was spending.

JohnnySnook
12-21-2014, 05:43
Texaco - I'm glad you have come back to whiteblaze.com and discuss your hike and and share your side and results of your hike. I know I posted some negative posts about your hike.

It really impresses me that you have donated to this site so I have no doubt your a ATC donating member!

It really impresses me to see you posting here after your hike. I truly didn't think that you would. I'll have to look into your gear. I really wanted a ZPack tent and a good sleeping bag but i don't that is in going to happen. Looks like I have down size my dreams regarding gear. I will be spending $300+ on my fishing gear.

If anything we need more hikers like Texaco.

I signed up to your RSS but never got any updates? Was I banned?

Abatis1948
12-21-2014, 09:57
Forest just completed his Thru and it cost way more than I have seen so far. He did not list what all was included, but he must have bought a small car to get to the trail. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=479232

Abatis1948
12-21-2014, 10:34
Forest just completed his Thru and it cost way more than I have seen so far. He did not list per item included, but he must have bought a small car to get to the trail. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=479232

Mags
12-21-2014, 17:42
He mentioned going to the ER. Unfortunately, anything medical is expensive. I had to take the Mrs to the ER earlier this week. Even with insurance, it was still a $200 co-pay. ouch.

Slo-go'en
12-21-2014, 18:59
I will be spending $300+ on my fishing gear.

Why? If your going on an AT hike, the money is best spent on a good sleeping bag and/or tent.

canoe
12-21-2014, 23:33
Why? If your going on an AT hike, the money is best spent on a good sleeping bag and/or tent. Exactly!!! The fishing is not that great (if at all) on the AT. Why would you even think about spending that much to go hiking with. If you want to go fishing on the trail simply get a stick and bring some line and hooks or flys and for a buck you have your fishing gear.

canoe
12-21-2014, 23:33
He mentioned going to the ER. Unfortunately, anything medical is expensive. I had to take the Mrs to the ER earlier this week. Even with insurance, it was still a $200 co-pay. ouch. Forrest also had to return home for a week which doubled his travel costs

canoe
12-21-2014, 23:36
Texico, thanks for sharing. I don't know why folks have to be skeptical of someones hike because that was not their experience. Glad you had the disepline to keep your costs down.

JohnnySnook
12-22-2014, 02:52
I will be bring a Tenkara rod which weighs 2.1 ounces. Add in the rest of the gear it should weigh less than 8 ounces. I thought a fly rod would be better but Tenkara is the way to go. Very light and backpacker friendly. I've even found a few tenkara guides that are very into hiking.
Many have commented that fisherman have been very kind to them as the thru hike. Giving them the fish they caught etc. As I research and join fishing forums I feel the trail magic provided by fisherman in different states might be quite enjoyable. Nothing like swapping fishing stories and grilling trout over a hot fire.

Yes, I know the fishing opportunities are few and far between but it is something to look forward to for me. HYOH? Right? If I don't want to spend 2 days in town parting should I feel guilty for fishing a close by stream? Sounds like it.

I won't be skimping on gear. The difference in price between a Zpack Duo tent and Big Agnus copper spur or Fly creek will cover the tenkara expenses.

Are the Big Agnes tents crap? Its seems many here like them? Are they lying?

Should I spend the extra $300 on the zpacks tent instead?

Texaco
12-22-2014, 13:41
Should I spend the extra $300 on the zpacks tent instead?

Please keep this thread to the topic on which it was created. There are many other avenues on WhiteBlaze to discuss your fishing. This is not one of them.

Coffee
12-22-2014, 13:53
First of all, I'm not doubting the numbers at all. But I am curious about how one goes about hiking so cheaply when it comes to resupply. On my 260 mile section hike from Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs, PA this spring, my records show that I spent $120 on groceries, $18 for sending one resupply box, and $180 on restaurant meals. I note that Texaco spent $33.97 on a resupply in Waynesboro, $27.99 in Fayetteville, and then didn't spend anything until Hamburg which is past the point where I got off the trail. So it seems like it cost just around $62 for resupply for longer than my hike whereas I spent $120 - double the amount! I eat pretty basic food while on the trail but splurge at restaurants whenever possible. And I'm not really dead set on further reducing my costs but as a frugal person I'm fascinated by how some people can hike on very little.

Anyway thanks for posting the numbers. I have rarely seen anything this detailed on actual costs.

evyck da fleet
12-22-2014, 14:00
Nice going Texaco. I'm glad you mentioned that you received a couple of pairs of trailrunners in the mail so future hikers can factor that into their budget. Out of curiosity were you in shape or have prior hiking experience to your thru? 3 1/2 or 4 months is quick for a thru. It might help others to know what kind of shape they need to be in to pull this off if they are thinking about a low budget hike.

Texaco
12-22-2014, 14:27
First of all, I'm not doubting the numbers at all. But I am curious about how one goes about hiking so cheaply when it comes to resupply.

Anyway thanks for posting the numbers. I have rarely seen anything this detailed on actual costs.

Having not been through that section in over 6 months now, my memory won't be spot on. What I can say however is a little more info on my speed. You mention 260 miles - for me at that point on the trail, I'd have covered that distance in 10 days - 10 bagels for breakfast, a jar of peanut butter, 20 pop tarts, granola bars, 10 tortillas with a 1 lb block of cheese and a bag of pepperoni, 10 pasta sides and a handful of ramen noodles and dried veggies for dinner, and two dozen lemonade/raspberry flavored drink mixes. Plus my obligatory Glacier Ice gatorade in towns. Even at an EXPENSIVE resupply, these items are easily doable for $62. Add in shampoo for the YMCA in Waynesboro, detergent for the laundromat in the same city, and toilet paper... We're still probably right at those numbers.

Again, this is just a thought and I was flying through miles at that point in my hike (1,000 miles in 5 weeks) so my distance would be greater, stops fewer, and an equal amount of food consumed vs. someone hiking 15-20 miles a day for the same time period. When I slowed in MA/VT/NH to hike with a new group that became good friends, I was resupplying far more frequently, and spending more per mile than I had been when I was just busting my ass through the mid-Atlantic region.

Coffee
12-22-2014, 14:33
Very interesting, thanks. I hiked that section in 13 days, around 20 mpd, so I was slower and that no doubt contributed to higher food costs. Also, just Starbucks Via coffee packets alone would have been around $25-30 - two per day, although that's probably more of a "luxury item" than food. One of my goals is to find a palatable instant coffee cheaper (and more available) than Via for my PCT thru hike next year.

Texaco
12-22-2014, 14:36
Nice going Texaco. I'm glad you mentioned that you received a couple of pairs of trailrunners in the mail so future hikers can factor that into their budget. Out of curiosity were you in shape or have prior hiking experience to your thru? 3 1/2 or 4 months is quick for a thru. It might help others to know what kind of shape they need to be in to pull this off if they are thinking about a low budget hike.

Thank you.

First pair of New Balance 1210MTs went from Springer to Damascus, with easily more mileage left in them. Second pair went from Damascus to the Delaware Water Gap, and were nearing the end of their life (we're talking 900 miles at that point) and my third pair went from DWG to the 100 Mile Wilderness, where the soles split off after 800 miles including PA, VT's mud, and the Whites)... I duct taped them together for the last 90 miles of Maine (sucky situation, but beat hiking barefoot) and hiked Katahdin in a new pair. Can't say enough about NB as a brand, and the tough-going nature of their MT1210 Trail Runner.

Shape wise- I wasn't in great shape. I remember saying at Jacob's Latter, mile 150 or so, that I'd never make it to Katahdin. I cycled across the country in 2007, my only other big-magitude trip, and didn't really get in shape for that either. I figured with the AT that I'd build the muscle as I went (I have this advantage due to being 22 at the time, vs those twice my age). By the time I hit Kincora Hostel, I challenged myself and hiked 35 miles into Damascus in 12 hours. Leaving Harper's Ferry I hiked 62 miles in one day (20 hours and 32 minutes of hiking, 23 hours with breaks), from Harper's to PA's Highway 30 by Waynesboro... the blog entry for that day is here:

http://www.2180miles.com/trail-blog/60-for-60

The muscle builds while you're out there. I went in planning for 150 days on the trail and hiked the distance in 114 with 5 zero days. People are capable of whatever they allow/want/push themselves to be capable of.

Mags
12-22-2014, 15:27
One of my goals is to find a palatable instant coffee cheaper (and more available) than Via for my PCT thru hike next year.

Costco will often have the Via on sale for $12 for a pack of 24..or about .50 a packet. If you don't have/want a membership, you can buy gift cards. Non-members can use gift cards to purchase items. May only work if you maildrop (or bounce ahead) the Via.

Coffee
12-22-2014, 15:29
Costco will often have the Via on sale for $12 for a pack of 24..or about .50 a packet. If you don't have/want a membership, you can buy gift cards. Non-members can use gift cards to purchase items.

That's a good tip. I never thought of shopping Costco with gift cards.

garlic08
12-22-2014, 19:29
First of all, I'm not doubting the numbers at all. But I am curious about how one goes about hiking so cheaply when it comes to resupply. On my 260 mile section hike from Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs, PA this spring, my records show that I spent $120 on groceries, $18 for sending one resupply box, and $180 on restaurant meals. I note that Texaco spent $33.97 on a resupply in Waynesboro, $27.99 in Fayetteville, and then didn't spend anything until Hamburg which is past the point where I got off the trail. So it seems like it cost just around $62 for resupply for longer than my hike whereas I spent $120 - double the amount! I eat pretty basic food while on the trail but splurge at restaurants whenever possible. And I'm not really dead set on further reducing my costs but as a frugal person I'm fascinated by how some people can hike on very little.

As I mentioned in post #23 above, I hiked the AT with a partner who easily spent twice as much on food as I did, even though we shopped at the same stores and ate in the same restaurants and had as much fun. I wasn't a miser and he wasn't a spendthrift, just above below the average. I did not drink coffee or alcohol on the AT, and that makes a difference. My friend also enjoys expensive restaurant desserts and I don't.

You can spend a lot of money without being really frivolous, and I can see how your food costs could easily be twice those of Texaco's (and mine, since mine were nearly exactly his).

A lot of my resupply would be a mixture of rolled oats, raisins, and walnuts, bought in larger boxes/bags and mixed in ziplocks on the bench outside the store. For $10 I'd have four or five days of muesli, roughly half my calories. The rest would be $15 worth of cheese or PB, tortillas, nuts, crackers, and some fresh fruit and veg. My partner would buy lots of packaged muffins at several dollars each, boxed cereals, higher-end crackers, honey, small quantities of different types of nuts and berries, cured meats--the same calories but costing more. Both of us went stoveless and our hiking styles were very compatible--meals took the same amount of time and we liked to stop at the same times and eat about the same amount.

I had the money to spend. My hike came in way under budget, both time and money. I just didn't see the need to spend more money on food--it just didn't matter to me.

Coffee
12-22-2014, 23:11
Some great money saving ideas here... One other item that jumps out at me is energy bars. They aren't cheap anywhere and sometimes extremely expensive in trail towns but I typically go through a few per day. Maybe I should work on substituting a granola/oat/nut mix of some sort along with the occasional candy bar.

Jeff
12-23-2014, 06:47
When hiking as a member of a group you tend to spend more money. So many time "group decisions" end up going into town more often than not.

Please keep in mind, when splitting a motel room with a group, be upfront with the motel manager regarding the number of hikers in your group. Usually the motel will only add $5 or so for the 3rd or 4th or 5th hiker. But sneaking in buddies is a sure way to hurt future hikers if discovered by the motel manager. I know of several motels that used to offer a hiker discount...they stopped that, one even charges a premium for hikers.

garlic08
12-23-2014, 10:10
Some great money saving ideas here... One other item that jumps out at me is energy bars. They aren't cheap anywhere and sometimes extremely expensive in trail towns but I typically go through a few per day. Maybe I should work on substituting a granola/oat/nut mix of some sort along with the occasional candy bar.

Excellent point and one I didn't consider because energy bars are not a part of my universe. I don't turn them down when I find them in hiker boxes or when offered by a generous and/or over-packed section or day hiker, but I'll never buy one. The cost per unit of nutrition is pretty outrageous, compared to a handful of nuts and raisins. Not to mention the packaging. Single-serving packaging has no place in my pack. And they're often mostly high fructose corn syrup anyway. Sorry, end of rant.

One barometer of the cost of your food is the garbage you pack out. The less trash you carry, the more you're relying on cheaper bulk foods. I remember one 170-mile six-day resupply on the CDT (Cumbres Pass NM to Silverton CO) when all my trash fit in the empty peanut butter jar, and I had a handful of reusable ziplocks for the next resupply.

Coffee
12-23-2014, 10:18
The cost per unit of nutrition is pretty outrageous, compared to a handful of nuts and raisins.

Even when purchased at Wal Mart, each Clif bar is almost $1 so it does add up. I'll have to do an analysis of the nutrition provided in a Clif bar compared to what I can put together with granola, raisins, nuts, etc. On the Colorado Trail, I assembled that type of mix at one stop where each Clif bar was around $2.50. I believe this was Silverton or Lake City. Silverton is also where I paid $7 for a package of fig newtons and nearly $10 for a tube of neosporin.

Texaco
12-23-2014, 11:45
I was buying an 18 pack box of granola bars/chewy bars at Dollar General for $3 - they were 100 calories a piece, but even at 3 a day you've got nearly a week of snack foods to be consumed every few hours. As was said by garlic08, fancy things like Clif bars (white chocolate macadamia nut) were only consumed when day hikers were handing them out. They cost WAY too much for the 260 someodd calories they provide.

Texaco
12-23-2014, 11:48
Please keep in mind, when splitting a motel room with a group, be upfront with the motel manager regarding the number of hikers in your group.

Absolutely. The three hotels I stayed in were in Hot Springs, Waynesboro PA, and Gorham. 3 of us in NC, 2 of us in PA, and 4 of us in NH. Rates weren't added to with the extra people, and they were happy to bring extra towels, but we were up front about how many of us there were, and went above and beyond to keep the place clean, especially after resupply shopping, before leaving. That's simply a habit I have as I live in hotels around the country for work. Especially in trail towns where hikers take advantage of not cleaning up, it's great to try and go the extra mile for cleaning staff and owners that welcome you into their business.

Speakeasy TN
12-25-2014, 11:30
Costco will often have the Via on sale for $12 for a pack of 24..or about .50 a packet. If you don't have/want a membership, you can buy gift cards. Non-members can use gift cards to purchase items. May only work if you maildrop (or bounce ahead) the Via.

BEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT OF THE DAY! Half price VIA is a dream!

Jake27
12-25-2014, 12:26
Good info texaco!! very inspiring.

Angie J Romans
12-25-2014, 12:48
Thanks for posting this!! I don't understand why it has to be more expensive, honestly. I've been struggling financially as I just graduated and will have to start paying loans back while I am on the trail (means I am working two jobs now in order to save!) And I know I am going to get sooooo much crap for this but I probably will only be able to save around 1500. I am planning to do it as quick as possible, never staying in towns unless there is a hurricane or something, and also possibly skipping a portion of the hike (I am thinking PA since I live here and hike it already, so -200 miles). Any POSITIVE comments or suggestions? I am doing my hike no matter what, as a positive experience for me to discover and express myself so I would appreciate anyone who is going to say I am planning for failure to please not comment.

She
12-26-2014, 21:53
Great info Texaco; greatly appreciated for those of us in planning stage.

Slo-go'en
12-26-2014, 22:28
Thanks for posting this!! I don't understand why it has to be more expensive, honestly.

Because stuff costs a lot. With only a $1500 budget you have to hope absolutely nothing goes wrong. No need to replace gear, no need to hole up in town for a few days, no injuries to deal with. You'll have to think about every penny you spend and spend it wisely. If your used to scraping by with little or nothing and don't mind not having a shower for a few weeks at a time, then you have a chance.

One thing which hasn't been talked about much is having a partner. Doesn't have to be for the whole trail, but someone you can split the cost of food and lodging with. A lot of food is packaged so you end up throwing some of it away. If you can split that with someone it reduces both your costs. And don't forget to get a discount or savings cards for the major supermarkets you'll encounter. Hostels are priced per person, but motels you can split with others. Every so often you can find a free shower, but you'll need to have your own soap and shampoo, so carry a little of both.

Lybarger
12-27-2014, 05:17
Have not read all posts but the spreadsheet shows Lodging only 5 nights for the entire thruhike. That is not typical for 99% of the thruhikers I have met, so please don't plan your hike with that little $$ budgeted for Lodging.

CarlZ993
12-27-2014, 13:19
Thanks for posting this!! I don't understand why it has to be more expensive, honestly. I've been struggling financially as I just graduated and will have to start paying loans back while I am on the trail (means I am working two jobs now in order to save!) And I know I am going to get sooooo much crap for this but I probably will only be able to save around 1500. I am planning to do it as quick as possible, never staying in towns unless there is a hurricane or something, and also possibly skipping a portion of the hike (I am thinking PA since I live here and hike it already, so -200 miles). Any POSITIVE comments or suggestions? I am doing my hike no matter what, as a positive experience for me to discover and express myself so I would appreciate anyone who is going to say I am planning for failure to please not comment.
I'm sure it is possible to hike the AT with very little money. I saw a few do it quite cheaply. One was a border-line transient living out of hiker boxes along the trail. I found it generally cheaper down south & more expensive up north. But, some expenses will occur whether or not you like them or not. For example, you'll probably have to replace your trail running shoes 3 times on the trail. At $125/ea, that is already $375 of your $1500 budget. I had bad experiences w/ bending & breaking hiking poles. From VT thru ME, I bent or broke 5 poles. I had pole sections sent to me several places along the way. Since I considered hiking poles a necessity (I'm clumsy on a good day), I had to replace these broken sections (I had Black Diamond on speed dial). I had to re-treat my rain jacket a few times as it lost its ability to bead water on the surface. All my other stuff lasted the entire trek.

Some cost saving considerations:
- minimize town stays
- minimize the duration of your hike (long hiking days = fewer hiking days = less money spent)
- don't pass up 'free' or 'nearly free' lodging (i.e. Jailhouse Hostel, Kincora Hostel, Gorham NH trail angels)
- ask for Walmart gift cards (or other gift cards) as presents
- look for opportunities to share motel lodging w/ others (I usually shared w/ one other; I saw younger kids often putting 4 in a room; this minimizes the costs dramatically)
- keep a positive hiking blog; sometimes hikers will get 'gifts' from people following their blogs (Subway gift cards, free motel room somewhere, free house stay, etc.; I saw it happen to others)
- if parents are willing to pick up shipping costs & accompanying hassles, you can buy food in bulk before the hike & ship it to you along the way; will lower food costs overall
- start your hike later (assuming NoBo hike) so there are less chance of a winter weather delay
- if you have family or family friends that travel a lot for business, see if they'll donate some hotel points for a room along the way (Erwin, Waynesboro, etc); I got a freebie in Erwin & another when I finished in Bangor.

Full disclosure: I budgeted $5,000 ($1000/mo) for my 5-month hike. I spent $6,600. But, I'm retired & had a Platinum Visa card. As I grew tired of being wet & miserable, I often sought refuge in hostels/motels (63 nights indoors out of my 152-day hike).

Best of luck on your thru-hike.

Texaco
12-27-2014, 15:03
Have not read all posts but the spreadsheet shows Lodging only 5 nights for the entire thruhike. That is not typical for 99% of the thruhikers I have met, so please don't plan your hike with that little $$ budgeted for Lodging.

Off the top of my head, 3 hotels, and probably just over a half dozen hostels. Yes, not as many as most, but this was simply to show that it is doable if you are dedicated/driven to do it for less. Also, it is worth the mention that some hostels allow work-for-stay options if you're in a bind.

hikeandbike5
12-27-2014, 15:24
Texaco, how much of an impact did trail magic/hiker feeds play in your hike, especially in the southern section where I'm told trail magic abounds at every road crossing.

Jeff
12-28-2014, 07:28
I'm sure it is possible to hike the AT with very little money. I saw a few do it quite cheaply. One was a border-line transient living out of hiker boxes along the trail.

Hiker boxes are for all to enjoy. For those planning an upcoming hike on a tight budget, please don't count on hiker boxes as your principal source of resupply. Leave some for those behind you.

JohnnySnook
12-29-2014, 08:15
Texaco, I wasn't de-railing your thread. I just hate it when so many say a fishing rod is a waste of time. Yet you carried a heavy camera body(twice the weight of a tenkaka rod) yet everyone jumps on the fishing rod.

I did say I wanted to investigate your gear also for cheaper options. Just Sayin…
I'm not 22 so top of the line gear would be nice. I have been trapped in a rain forest for 2 weeks in central america years back and made it out some how. There was a ranger with a machine gun laughing at us for days and a week and we had to hike 15 miles out in 100+ temps but we made it. They knew we were there but the ranger was looking for cougar poachers and couldn't leave. Straining water out of brackish estuary to drink for 3 days wasn't fun either, I contracted an ameba that nearly killed me. I bet most kids these days wouldn't make it. It was hell.

You kids have it so easy. Spot GPS to follow you everywhere you walk to keep your parents happy. Try being stuck in a remote national forest in central america for 10 days.

In fact you had to order another camera body when your's got wet. What was to cost of that the time spent waiting for it?

I guess i should take back my comments saying you proved me wrong and helping future hikers? One of the few young hiker like yourself that cares about the trail.

Know young bucks like you the only thing that could slow you down was an injury or a woman? Which was it? i think the later! LOL.

You kids have it so easy these days. If I could get a call thru to loved ones during these times it was great. I think a another great black out of the northeast would be great. Maybe this time for 7 to 10 days. I will say the years spent in central and south america I'll never forget! Best time ever! If I was a rich kid it would of been better!
For now thats it. What to go fishing?

takethisbread
12-29-2014, 11:39
There is no right or wrong way to hike this trail or any amount of money it costs. Folks can be frugal and it works. You tend to figure it out as you go, how you'll be. I hiked with a guy who stayed in a hotel 1 time.

I spent $10,000 on my thruhike. I hiked it in exactly 5 months and took 31 zero days. I stayed in only the better hostels and hotels. Sometimes I shared a hotel with 5 other people. Sometimes I got a room for myself bc I wanted that alone time. I rented cars a few times in town. I went into NYC for 4 days.
If I didn't spend the 10 grand I would not have made it. Others like texaco, it comes a little easier and they don't need as much rest and luxury after a 25 mile day. Hyoh as they say. Glad I had the money to do it the way I did and the folks that I hiked with, kinda felt the same way and all had the budget to do so. Everyone I kinda hiked with spent well over $5000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texaco
12-29-2014, 13:09
Texaco, how much of an impact did trail magic/hiker feeds play in your hike, especially in the southern section where I'm told trail magic abounds at every road crossing.

Trail magic was great, but it was more of a dessert after my own meal. It wasn't regular enough to count on it as a principle source of food. Trail magic at "every road crossing" may be a stretch, though it is certainly more present in the south... down there, and everywhere, it will mainly be a cold soda/beer, and some sort of candy/snickers bar. The rare occasion will be a BBQ or someone with homemade corn bread (god that was delicious... a mom of a NOBO hiker stopped down in Virginia with home made cornbread and burgers).

The only thing I'd say that I truly benefited from with trail magic/hiker boxes were fuel canisters. They limited me to only actually buying two... One at Neel's Gap, the other at Wood's Hole Hostel.

Texaco
12-29-2014, 13:18
Texaco, I wasn't de-railing your thread.

I just hate it when so many say a fishing rod is a waste of time. Yet you carried a heavy camera body(twice the weight of a tenkaka rod) yet everyone jumps on the fishing rod.

You kids have it so easy. Spot GPS to follow you everywhere you walk to keep your parents happy. Try being stuck in a remote national forest in central america for 10 days.

In fact you had to order another camera body when your's got wet. What was to cost of that the time spent waiting for it?

I think the difference, in people's opinion, about the weight there is that my camera allowed me to capture memories of the trail. I warranted the weight because I knew the image quality would far surpass that of people's iPhones and Android devices... even mirrorless point-and-shoots. I was blogging, and my goal was to bring back an immersive photo-journalistic product when I finished.

Would fishing the entire way make you happy? If so, bring the rod! I think people look at you saying that you want a fishing rod and interpret it as you intending to feed yourself solely off the catches you make. That may be why they are condescending of the idea. But hey man, I saw two guys with full size acoustic guitars strapped to their backpacks. Carry what's worth it to you.

The vibe of condescension in your posts bugs me a bit. "You kids" - if I wanted to get lost in Central America, I would. The appalachian trail is just as remote as it is readily accessible by mainstream America (that was in fact the point of the trail, no? to get the city-folk into the woods for short periods) For some people it is as removed from civilization as they will ever be. For others, it's merely the first of many adventures to come. To fill you in a bit more, I carried my Spot to keep my blog active, and to show the readers where I was. Beyond that it was the insurance value of being able to hit the SOS button in a severe situation. Amazingly enough, I'm capable of making decisions on my own.

To answer your other camera question... I spent no time waiting for another dSLR body to arrive. Mine died 35 miles south of Killington, and I had one overnighted to an outfitter on the trail in Killington, and grabbed it on my way through town. Unfortunately, the 1.5 days I spent without it were host to some scenes I truly wish I'd have been able to capture with my real camera. Alas, such is life.

Let's go fishin' Johnny. It's been a long time since I've been.

Texaco
12-29-2014, 13:21
There is no right or wrong way to hike this trail or any amount of money it costs. Folks can be frugal and it works. You tend to figure it out as you go, how you'll be. I hiked with a guy who stayed in a hotel 1 time.

If I didn't spend the 10 grand I would not have made it.

I completely agree. You make a good point - you would not have made it without spending that much to afford yourself the amenities you needed in order to tolerate (may be the wrong word choice, but I can't think of another at the moment) the other aspects of the trail. I totally get it. There are such polar opposite experiences here, but neither of us are right, and neither are wrong. There's 2,185 ways to hike the A.T. - just a matter of getting out there and as you said, figuring it out as you go.

MuddyWaters
12-30-2014, 10:50
Hiking is vacation, nothing more, nothing less.

Different people want different things out of their vacations

Some take a cruise, and never leave the boat, even though shore excursions are a big part of cruises. They add $$$ though.

Some go to disney world and stay offsite in cheapest lodging, and eat at McDonalds, when the themed restaurants and lodging at Disney are a major part of it.

One thing my wife did teach me, is that you dont go on vacation if you need to scrimp and save money on vacation to do it. You might as well stay at home if you are going to make yourself miserable.

Different strokes for different folks.

Skye15
12-30-2014, 10:53
What is the best way to keep up with all of your spending/finances while on the trail? If there a good app to use?

Coffee
12-30-2014, 11:08
One thing to keep in mind is that spending more money can sometimes insulate and remove you from the "trail community". Depending on one's perspective, that may be a good or bad thing. And it can change the nature of a hike. I'm not the most social person but after a week in the woods hiking and camping alone, it is sometimes nice to stay at a hostel (assuming it is reasonably clean and well run) in order to talk to other people engaged in the same type of outdoor activities. Spending 5x the cost of a hostel would buy a hotel room which might be more physically comfortable and private but also more isolating. Depending on the context and my state of mind at the time, I can select from either option as I see fit. I just try to keep in mind that sometimes spending less money enhances rather than detracts from the overall experience.

Coffee
12-30-2014, 11:09
What is the best way to keep up with all of your spending/finances while on the trail? If there a good app to use?

I like Hello Expense from the android store. It supports multiple currencies as well which is useful sometimes.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.helloexpense&hl=en

MuddyWaters
12-30-2014, 11:16
One thing to keep in mind is that spending more money can sometimes insulate and remove you from the "trail community". Depending on one's perspective, that may be a good or bad thing. And it can change the nature of a hike. I'm not the most social person but after a week in the woods hiking and camping alone, it is sometimes nice to stay at a hostel (assuming it is reasonably clean and well run) in order to talk to other people engaged in the same type of outdoor activities. Spending 5x the cost of a hostel would buy a hotel room which might be more physically comfortable and private but also more isolating. Depending on the context and my state of mind at the time, I can select from either option as I see fit. I just try to keep in mind that sometimes spending less money enhances rather than detracts from the overall experience.

Totally agree. But when your spending becomes less than average, it begins detracting as well.
If you want the average experience, plan on spending the average amount of $

I like private hotel rooms. When I want R&R, I want privacy and quiet. I also dont like having to worry about my gear when its not with me. Its not that I dont trust my fellow man...I just dont trust every one of them. Knowing gear is secure and safe when you leave it behind is a big load off mind, makes a difference in enjoyment of time in towns.

takethisbread
12-30-2014, 14:50

It works both ways. Some people who skip towns, to save money, sometimes miss out on social time in town with friends..I found this to be more prevalent than the scenario you describe. Occasionally I did get my own hotel room, cuz I needed that decompression from a larger group, I still went out to dinner and shopping and whatever with everyone, I just slept by myself. Occasionally 6 in a hotel room gets a bit stifling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skye15
12-30-2014, 16:28
I like Hello Expense from the android store. It supports multiple currencies as well which is useful sometimes.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.helloexpense&hl=en

Thanks, Coffee. I'll look into that one.

Connie
12-30-2014, 17:16
I think a "hidden" expense is alcohol.

I am astonished to see my nephew spend on "a few beers".

I saw a woman purchase a pack of cigarettes. I was astonished to see how much money she paid out for one pack.

I read, here, that the OP spends less at the grocery store, than his companion.

I always spend less, than others in the line at the grocery store.

The grocery store clerks do a big "double take" on my selections, because I purchase excellent food. I just got a lamb roast, for example, along with other good food last time at the grocery store. I spent less than $50. I eat very well, for less money.

I think the numbers are real, with no hardship, no special "discipline".

I hike to be out there. I am only social enough to like to be around people, when I want to. I do not necessarily have to "join in". I like being around people, when I want to be around people.

I think, I could easily "take on" a long trail, at my income: no special earnings and savings.

Texaco
12-30-2014, 18:08

I didn't track in real time, instead went back through at the end. For real time tracking there's a great app/website called Mint that will allow you to set up budgets and will show when you're nearing the cap of what you allotted to spend for different activities.