PDA

View Full Version : Lake City

bamboo bob
12-10-2014, 21:08
Anyone have an opinion about ease or difficulty of hitching into Lake City ?

Spirit Walker
12-10-2014, 21:31
It depends. The first time we were there we got a ride to Lake City in about 30 seconds - the first car that passed turned around and picked us up. Second time we just walked into and out of Creede. Third time there we got a ride to Creede from the second car that passed and got a return ride from someone in the outdoor store. OTOH, we were told it can take hours to get a ride sometimes.

Coffee
12-10-2014, 21:55
I had a difficult time hitching a ride from Spring Creek Pass into Lake City in August. I was under the impression that the Lake City trail angels ran a regular shuttle leaving Spring Creek Pass shortly after noon (I think 12:30). I arrived at the rest area next to the pass around 11:30 and hung around for a while not trying to hitch since I was waiting for the shuttle. Around 12:45 I started to worry that the shuttle might not be running and stood by the side of the road trying to hitch. No luck and not much traffic. No cell signal. After about 30 minutes, I went back into the rest area to see if anyone might be around who could give me a ride into Lake City. The parking area was nearly deserted. A RV eventually pulled in and I chatted up the friendly driver but he was going into Creede. I went back to the road and tried to hitch again but by that time it was almost 2pm and I figured that I'd better start walking toward Lake City to make sure I could get there before dark, if in fact I had to road walk the 17 miles. After about 3-4 miles of road walking (and simultaneously trying to hitch), a local couple stopped and gave me a ride into Lake City. I think that I got in shortly before 4pm.

I arranged for a shuttle to take me back to Spring Creek Pass after I took my zero day in Lake City. It is a great trail town but I'm not sure that I'd try to go there again in the future. I'd probably opt to walk into Creede from San Luis Pass if I could do it over.

Please note that I'm not being critical of the trail angels. These are volunteers and under no obligation to provide shuttles, scheduled or otherwise. I was disappointed that it was apparently not running that day but eventually adapted and made it in, and it was an interesting experience (in retrospect, not at the time!)

handlebar
12-11-2014, 01:31
Didn't have much trouble hitching during 2010 or 2013. Both times got a ride within 30 minutes. Great trail town. Stay at Raven's Rest Hostel. Good resupply at local market.

HeartFire
12-11-2014, 06:35
Check with Lucky at Ravens Rest to see if they have started the shuttle,. I know they were talking about a daily shuttle to Spring Creek Pass. There's just not a lot of traffic on that road, but it is a big trail head/parking lot there.

I definitely recommend Lake City as a trail town. Ravens Rest is a great hostel, everything is in walking distance, great saloons, resupply, coffee shop next door to the hostel with great breakfast.

Coffee
12-11-2014, 07:33
Ravens Rest was great. Excellent restaurants as well.

Mags
12-11-2014, 12:27
Check out the Trail Angles of Lake City page. Lucky plans on doing a shuttle.
https://www.facebook.com/LakeCityTrailAngels

LuckyMan
12-11-2014, 14:49
In August on the CT I heard vague rumors of a free midday shuttle but didn't know details so tried to hitch. Numerous cars went by. After at least 90 minutes a car finally stopped after a ride bride came off the trail and joined me. Then the shuttle showed up. It was easy getting back to the trail on the shuttle.

Spit Walker
12-11-2014, 15:07
Lucky at ravens rest rules! Took me an hr to hitch but so worth it to go to lake city.

Coffee
12-11-2014, 15:17
According to the couple who gave me a ride, most of the traffic involves people from outside the area. They don't know about the trail or why people are hitching. The locals on the Creede side and Lake City sides rarely have a need to go over the pass. At least this was their theory.

Dogwood
12-11-2014, 17:15
Do yourself a favor. Consider redefining your objective from hitching to "getting a ride." There's a difference. Consider contributing value to these experiences whenever possible. When we think of the objective in those terms a wider range of creativity, positive vibes, and options appear. Think about what people want, what they need. Address and supply those wants and needs while seeking a ride.

Going into Lake City in mid Sept 2010 mid week(weds or thurs) at the start of leaf peeping season in a light rain around 10 a.m. I was sporting at least seven days of CDT grime. I was wearing a ripped pr of wet shorts. I got a ride by sticking my thumb out at the pass within 15 mins with about 6 cars passing in that time. The driver's name was Martin. He was a hunter/fisherman of Hispanic dissent scouting out for future trips while enjoying a fishing vacation with family. His young son's name was Horatio. His family owned a small ranch property on a nearby fishing lake. The ranch was handed down through three generations. He drove a white newer model PU. His occupation was in HVAC. Took me part way into Lake City. Said he stopped because he felt sorry for me - thought I was in distress. He knew a trail crossed at the pass. Martin informed me of some of what he considered to be the best places to fish in the area. Obtained the second part of my thumbed hitch into LC from the second car that came by literally as I was exiting Martin's PU car from someone stopping asking for directions. Serendipity. I obviously, showed them exactly how to get to and through LC and the location of the front door of Ravens Rest Hostel. They drove me to the LC PO first to pick up a box. We stopped off at the LC Visitors Center next. I could tell they were into outdoor adventure. After they agreed to let me buy them coffee at the cafe next door to the hostel we enjoyed a back and forth 40 min conversation. I found out they were from Ft. Collins CO involved in eco adventure tourism. We intrigued each other with our tales of adventure. So, much so that they offered me a place to stay whenever I'm in Ft. Collins and a position in S. America should I want it.

Again, into Lake City, early Oct, a Sat, in 2012, about 2 p.m., during leaf peeper season, sunny day but quite brisk, after two days of intermittent showers/icy rain/light snow. I was sporting more than a wk of Colorado Tr. grime. Got a ride at the pass by engaging in leaf peeping, trail condition, and bear/lightning awareness conversation before getting to the pass parking lot as we were descending from Snow Mesa. These middle aged folks were from Missoula MT on their way back home from a trip in New Mexico. Names were Carl and Kate. Both said they never picked up a hitch hiker before. Weren't initially so avid about giving me a ride either. Kate was a bit fearful and reluctant so I told her what I was doing (thru-hiking the CT), I showed them my maps, trail guide and Hawaii I.D. We had a few brief words concerning a vacation they took in Hawaii. I also gave up my Swiss Army knife for Kate to hold for the duration of the ride. We later had ice cream together. We had a group photo taken. I found out they lost a son in the war in Iraq. They gave me their contact information should I ever find myself in Missoula. As we departed they told me I reminded them of their son who also enjoyed the outdoors.

Who says it's just about hitch hiking?

bamboo bob
12-11-2014, 17:25
Who says it's just about hitch hiking?[/QUOTE] Point taken Dogwood. Thanks everyone for the heads up about the shuttle. It seems the difficulty "in getting a ride" stories are mostly stories. With my wife as a built in Ride Bride i should have no problem.

Coffee
12-11-2014, 17:29
Good advice, Dogwood. At the start of the CT hike, I was barely comfortable with the idea of hitching at all and now I'm at least more comfortable with it than before. One thing about the Lake City hitch is that I was in a bad mood (thinking that there was a shuttle) and maybe that attitude reflected poorly and/or created bad vibes even though I was trying to be upbeat on the side of the road. I was in a worse mood on the roadwalk when I realized that Spring Creek Pass was not the high point of the road into Lake City and that there would be another pass along the way had I continued my roadwalk! That, and it was raining. Well, it was all part of the Colorado Trail experience and definitely something I'll remember well in a few decades.

Coffee
12-11-2014, 17:33
We later had ice cream together.

San Juan Soda Company by any chance? That place was like a time machine to another era and served an unbelievable sundae. One of many great places to eat in Lake City.