PDA

View Full Version : New Boots

Tuckahoe
12-11-2014, 01:53
I am in the market for a new pair of boots/shoes and I have narrowed my list to these four --

Vasque Men's Juxt Multisport Shoe
Teva Men's Riva Event M Hiking Shoe
Teva Men's Kimtah Mesh M Hiking Shoe
Oboz Men's Firebrand II BDRY Mulitsport Shoe

I would like to hear from anyone that owns a pair of one of the listed shoes and hear your thoughts on them, likes and dislikes, etc.

July
12-11-2014, 08:13
Have'nt used your listed but can vouch for Oboz Sawtooth, got over 1500 trail miles on 3 pair.

fastfoxengineering
12-12-2014, 04:25
How much weight you packing?

I switched to trail runners with no experience before my first long distance hike and will never go back to boots for 3 season. Waterproof shoes suck imo. My feet were the only ones that were fine after the first week on the trail.

I can only suggest going to your local outfitter and trying some on. Glad I did. I ended up with a pair of New Balance trail runners on sale for $60. All though they only lasted 300 miles I couldn't of been more happy for them. The long trail in vermont eats any shoe up. Furthermore, my NB's for $60 felt better than some shoes I was trying on that cost $100+. I didn't upgrade the soles but would certainly recommend it. Also, I suggest sizing up a half size. Your feet swell. I never suffered any blisters during 300 miles.

Like I said, go to your outfitter and try some on. Narrow it down to two pairs and walk around with each for 20 minutes. Don't feel embarrassed to do so. It's your money. Most outfitters will understand and let you do your thing. They'll be like "this guy knows more about hiking shoes I do"...

I don't know what your feet are like...But I went to Eastern Mountain Sports after my trip and purchased three more pairs of the same trail runners. So I know I got some comfy, functional kicks for at least another few seasons.

Deacon
12-12-2014, 07:22
Pretty much agree with FastFox.
I try to find the lightest, thinnest shoe with the stiffest sole. That hard to find.
I've narrowed my choices to Keen enclosed sandels. Totally enclosed all around, can accept myr own insert, no lining to stay wet, but most of all, has a stiff sole.

I tried the McKenzie, but found the sole not stiff enough when walking on rocks and roots. I will try either the Owyhee or Arroyo II.
I know I sound like a commercial, but I don't like hiking in wet feet.

daddytwosticks
12-12-2014, 08:10
I can also vouch for a pair of New Balance trail runners. Get a pair labeled "all terrain" for a little stiffer sole. Very comfortable and allow my sweaty feet to breath. Please note, I don't hike in the snow! :)

Tuckahoe
12-12-2014, 22:17
I do not mean to sound like an ungrateful prig, but come on guys... my query was specifically about personal experiences with one of the four shoes I listed, not seeking suggestions.

Fastfoxengineering, I can appreciate that you are a fan of New Balance, but I would be pretty pissed at the lack of durability in a shoe that only lasted 300 miles.

July, thanks ;)

Slo-go'en
12-13-2014, 00:17
In my experience, there is no way to tell how well a boot will work for you until you get out on the trail with it and then it's too late. Boots or shoes which work great on the relatively soft trail in the south don't work well on the more rocky trails in the north.

A pair of Merrill low cut boots which felt really nice in the store turned out to be a really bad choice for hiking in Virginia. The soles were too soft, a bit too wide and too much toe flex for me. But their great around the house and road walking. Personally, I found Scarpa boots to fit me the best and I should have stuck with those.

fastfoxengineering
12-13-2014, 04:18
I do not mean to sound like an ungrateful prig, but come on guys... my query was specifically about personal experiences with one of the four shoes I listed, not seeking suggestions.

Fastfoxengineering, I can appreciate that you are a fan of New Balance, but I would be pretty pissed at the lack of durability in a shoe that only lasted 300 miles.

July, thanks ;)

Sorry for getting a little off topic. I think that only getting 300 miles out of shoe is just something you have to deal with when using trail runners. Especially in a state like VT which is much more rough on shoes than other terrain. They'd prob last 600 miles on easier terrain. Furthermore, I'm willing to accept less durability from my shoes if they're way more comfy.

And all though I have no experience with any of the boots you listed. I still suggest going to try them all on. I assume you want to order them online? And personally, I'm against that nowadays. Everyone's feet are different. All though I'm sure each of those boots perform well, you could hate one and I could love it.

So, my advice would be to try them all on. Go with the one that feels best. There's no disadvantages in that scenario. Your feet will thank you.

July
12-13-2014, 21:19
Have used boots from all 3 manufact that you have listed, over the years. All good companies imo, for about the last 3-4 years have stuck with the oboz for my hiking shoe, but know that in the future they will possibly discontinue/ modify/alter at some point, then a new search will potentially entail. Please keep thread updated on your choices.

lemon b
12-14-2014, 09:01
Also find myself in need of new boots. Something that happens almost every year. At this point in life I find trail runners do not work because my feet are too old for the beating. Shopping for new footwear is always fun. Fast fox certainly is correct about the Long Trail no matter what one uses it is going to get beat up. My main concern these days is toe comfort and warmth. There is never going to be the perfect hiking boot, but we certainly do have a nice selection these days. Just like a sleeping system this is one area we do not want to skimp on. Also, my experience is that the sock is just as important as the boot. I always try to keep an extra pair so as to keep my feet as dry as mother nature allows.

bamboo bob
12-14-2014, 12:21
Have'nt used your listed but can vouch for Oboz Sawtooth, got over 1500 trail miles on 3 pair.

I bought a pair of Oboz on the PCT and they fell apart in less than a month.

Tuckahoe
12-14-2014, 14:39

How long ago did you get them, which model and how far up the trail did you get before they fell apart? Thanks Bob!

July
12-14-2014, 22:33

That is unfortunate. With the sawtooth I have averaged around 500 miles on a pair. I have had one top cap lip come unglued, just trim a little1-1/2flap off. I still wear the shoes around the house, lawn, etc. The reason for replacing on trail after 500 miles was I felt the structural integrity was broken down, as I usually do 20 plus mile days. Where the foot meets the ground is where the work gets done so to speak. Still wear 3 yr old pair for yard work etc... (well over 8-9 hundred miles)

Tuckahoe
12-16-2014, 21:44
Have used boots from all 3 manufact that you have listed, over the years. All good companies imo, for about the last 3-4 years have stuck with the oboz for my hiking shoe, but know that in the future they will possibly discontinue/ modify/alter at some point, then a new search will potentially entail. Please keep thread updated on your choices.

July, I chose the Vasque Juxt. It was the only one of the four available in a 13EE rather than D, and it was a big plus that I paid $48 (57% off the $110 retail:))