PDA

View Full Version : photos

squeezebox
12-11-2014, 15:50
So how do track of the where and when each photo is from where & when? It would be nice to look at a photo and know where & when, instead of just guessing which vista is which. I'll probably buy a nice little camera and forgo the smart phone.

Feral Bill
12-11-2014, 16:27
Your photo files should have date and time under "Properties" Take a notebook to match them up with. Or maybe make notes on your map.

freightliner
12-11-2014, 16:48
I know little bit about nothing but I do know my old camera and my new camera have a thing called geo-tagging. When I downloaded my photos it would show me where I took the pictures at. I found it really cool but I have no idea how I did it. My phone will do the same thing. So I guess what you want to make sure you get a camera that said Geo tagging on it. Here's a fun tip when it comes to camera's if you're hiking with somebody give your camera to them and you take their camera so that you each can have pictures of yourself. I do this with my hiking partner I take her camera and she takes mine and it's fun at the end of the day to see what pictures we got. One flaw is though if you fall down you'll have proof that you belong to the fall down club. You'll have about 10 pictures of you trying to get back up again to.

Connie
12-11-2014, 17:24
My little digital camera has GPS. I select GPS, that information is recorded along with the digital data every digital photo has. Then, app software or PC software will read the GPS. The software puts the photos on a map, and, there you are. It is also possible to upload the photos to map software online.

I found my digital camera with GPS "used" or "open box" at eBay. I think it was "open box" because it appears to be brand new, in fact.

squeezebox
12-11-2014, 18:55
Very cool! Can you suggest some brands and models? My camera is 15 yrs old if I could find it.

Connie
12-11-2014, 19:16
I found this camera by Google Search digital camera GPS and eBay Search digital camera GPS.

freightliner
12-11-2014, 19:21
I can't help you there I have no knowledge of them there like cars. There's just too many of them and everybody will think their is the best. I asked a professional photographer friend of mine what I should carrie he told me blah blah Sony. I can't believe how beautiful the photos are but I did have to drop some serious cash for it. I'm hoping to get some really good wall hangers from this hike. If it helps any I saw a lot of go pro last year from Nobo I don't know how well they do but they're all carrying them. I could probably safely say that you can't go wrong with a Sony.

Miner
12-11-2014, 22:19
That's one of the reasons I kept a detailed journal which included where I camped each night and the daily mileage. Using the time stamp on my photos, I could look at my journal and figure out roughly where I was at that time and then refer to my guidebook/databook/map to figure out what I was likely looking at. I also take photos of all trail signs which also help place your photos.

Slo-go'en
12-12-2014, 01:11
Flipping through the piles of 35mm prints I have from years past does make me wish I had at least labeled year and approximate location. I'm like, man, I wonder where this was? And how come I look so young?

Connie
12-12-2014, 01:50
I checked out each digital camera I found online with dpreview.com and other reviews. I also checked the mfg. website for information. I also downloaded the manual there.

I wanted to get an idea, if it would be too complicated to operate the camera to take pictures.

I also had features in mind: 12+ optical zoom, panorama photos, video. Of course, GPS because I want my photos on a map. I also wanted RAW format. I convert to jpeg the last step, if then, processing the photo for contrast, color balance, whatnot.

I think the OP needs to look at the desired features. Optical Zoom. Easy. Etc.

Honuben
12-12-2014, 01:53
Each photo taken is usually designated by a number and if i have to i write that number in my awol guide and/or take a photo of a sign post of a location to signify the order of when i have taken them.

Wild Turkey
12-26-2014, 23:27
Just purchased the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5. It has GPS which tags photos precise location. It also has WIFi which allows me to upload files to my iPhone. It's waterproof and shock proof as well. It can be found on eBay for around $200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk