PDA

View Full Version : wt. loss & smaller clothes

squeezebox
12-12-2014, 00:30
I've read several trail journals where the person claimed a pretty big wt. loss. I'm thinking of someone who said 65 lbs. I could use that.
But what about undergrowing your clothes, when the clothes you have are now way to big? I can imagine going from a men's XL to Med.
I'm guessing new clothes sent from home, or bought from an outfitter. What did you do?

Slo-go'en
12-12-2014, 01:03
I guess if you have that much weight to loose you tighten the belt as much as you can until you can't keep them on, then buy new ones. Hopefully you will last long enough out there to have to deal with that issue.

MuddyWaters
12-12-2014, 01:18
Synthetic tshirt and running shorts are easy to replace. And cheap. Long underwear not hard either unless you insist on merino. Puffy jackets would be the only real expensive item. Oversize rain gear OK. A pack hipbelt that becomes too large is another problem.

You shouldnt have much clothes.

Honuben
12-12-2014, 01:24
Weight loss is definately possible, but each individual is different. If you want to loose that much weight, start now, Start now, Start now. Even if you get in shape and you will find that once you get on the trail you wont be in good enough shape. However, just keep on hiking. Yournutrition on the trail will allow you to continue farther ,so get a head start on that. Read up on nutrition. As far as clothing you may start out in winter clothing but will change out to warmer weather clothing and honestly i wouldnt worry about the summer clothing. Shorts and a tee of those can be very cheep. Your previous winter stuff will be fine if you hit colder weather up north. This is only true if you are mentally prepared and expect the unexpexted. So just prepare yourself by getting in shape and being mentally prepared for the long haul.

Old Hiker
12-12-2014, 13:10
Lost about 30 pounds in 500 miles. The only problem was half way through, my rain pants were WAY too big. I had to put holes in the waist band to tie a string through to draw them up. Luckily (?), they were the Dri-Duck material and about worn out. I paid full price in Hot Springs for a good pair.

I just pulled my belt tighter. It doesn't have holes, just a pull through buckle.

Bronk
12-12-2014, 14:41
I went from 220lbs to 167 in 4 months of hiking. Just buy new clothes as you go along. When you get done with your hike, don't go out and spend a pile of money on a bunch of new clothes...wait at least 2 or 3 months for your weight to stabilize again. I bought a bunch of new clothes that didn't fit within a couple of months.

Rocket Jones
12-12-2014, 15:16
Wear a military-style belt with the webbing that goes through the slide buckle and friction fits to tighten. Boy Scouts use them too.

Cheap too: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KQXKK9W/ref=twister_B00BQ3HWWO?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Busky2
12-13-2014, 12:12
[QUOTE=Rocket Jones;1928108]Wear a military-style belt with the webbing that goes through the slide buckle and friction fits to tighten. Boy Scouts use them too.

I lost 22 pounds in the first 18 days on the trail. Dr.s scale day before I started to the Dr.s scale near the NOC (planter factitious). I looked like crap but I had no idea and no appetite at that time too. I bought new stuff to wear at the NOC @ Wesser at tourist prices:(. You do what you have to do and hike on.