PDA

View Full Version : trailplace.com

DavidNH
12-12-2014, 12:18
Anyone know what happened to trailplace.com? I try to access the website and now only get a message saying Notice: This domain has been redirected.

Slo-go'en
12-12-2014, 13:19
It must have finally shut down. Once Wingfoot's guide stopped being produced there was no reason to go there anymore and WhiteBlaze has all the traffic.

BaxterBear
12-14-2014, 15:35
Is trailplace for sale? I am interested in purchasing hiking related domains of high value.

DavidNH
12-14-2014, 18:03
no idea. punch in www.trailplace.com and you'll know as much as I know.

Shutterbug
12-15-2014, 01:56
Is trailplace for sale? I am interested in purchasing hiking related domains of high value.

I don't know the current situation. When Wingfoot announced that he was getting out, I contacted him on behalf of a client who wanted both the website and the guide. Wingfoot was polite, but let me know that he had a much higher offer from someone else. I don't know who bought those rights, but whoever it was paid too much.

freightliner
12-15-2014, 04:10
I thought it was that guy who ran 501 shelter. I saw last winter that he packed up and left and now there is a young couple they're taking care of it.

gsingjane
12-15-2014, 10:25
I'm not sure who owns it now, but at least at one point a hiker with the screen and/or trail name of 7Sisters had purchased it. I believe he went MIA after a while, at least in terms of the site, and it might have been transferred to a different person after that.

Jane

OgreJon
12-15-2014, 12:54
I know the Wingfoot guide was sold to and run for another year or two by Bob '501' McCaw, not sure if he also bought the website, but he might have.

I hike with him through the 100 mile wilderness a few years back, very nice guy. His trail name was not a reference to the 501 shelter, he said he was starting a the AT at Springer and he was told he was the 501st starter that year ( http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=5065 ).

You might try contacting him (email in the trail journal).

Jonathan

BaxterBear
12-15-2014, 13:29
Thank you, I remember using trailplace back in the day and I would like to obtain the domain and hire developers to rebuild the site to beyond it's former glory.

DavidNH
12-15-2014, 13:51
BaxterBear.. while I don't know you, I like you very much based on your posts. You seem to have a good understanding of ethics, regulations, and land protection. I do hope you can obtain the domain name and build the place back up to something great.

I can say that I visited trailplace.com for a couple years or more since Wingfoot left. The name of his successor escapes me. This is what you see when you type trailplace.com into your url box now:

http://ak2.imgaft.com/images/domaindispute.jpg
If you are the registrant of this domain, please contact
[email protected]

BaxterBear
12-15-2014, 13:57
Thank you for the kind words, and the information for the domain.
You can thank my grandfather for imparting his wisdom on me of the outdoors all those years ago.

imscotty
12-15-2014, 15:33
BaxterBear - If you ever want to know who registered a website just do a WHOIS search. You can Google that and come up with a number of different WHOIS sites. You can get a lot of information from the registration data including contact info.

TrailPlace.com is indeed owned by Bob McCaw. I do not want to put his contact information up here, but I will PM it to you.

Scott