PDA

View Full Version : Did I miss anything? (Gear List!)

RainbowDash
12-12-2014, 17:21
http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=21790

I like this website because it has pie charts...mmmm pie....

dangerdave
12-12-2014, 17:44
Looks similar to mine. Great job! I think you're good to go.

All I have to carry that you don't is my extra 27 years. :)

You got pie?!

RainbowDash
12-12-2014, 17:50
Looks similar to mine. Great job! I think you're good to go.

All I have to carry that you don't is my extra 27 years. :)

You got pie?!I'll probably end up getting the osprey aura instead of kyte. Your only as old as you feel!

RainbowDash
12-12-2014, 17:51
I dont have pie but I'll be making ginger bread humans!

fastfoxengineering
12-12-2014, 18:17
Looks like you could save some weight in a few places. You look good to go but I would try to get your base weight down to 15lbs before you leave. You could prob do so without spending any or just a little money.

One thing that really stands out is your Neo Air All Seasons at 26.16oz. There are much lighter options out there. For the cheap go get a zlite at 14oz. Or for expensive get an xlite at 12oz.

Your first aid and toiletries are pretty heavy. Especially your FAK. But... the only way to really shave weight in that department is with experience. So I wouldn't just start pulling stuff out of there. After a week or two on the trail... take out every item in your FAK and you'll know what to ditch.

Rope at 8oz.. what are you bringing. I carry 50' of zline at less than 2oz and its perfect for bear bagging and such. Zpacks, Antigravity gear, and other lightweight gear outfitters sell what you need. For $10 you could save almost 6oz right there.

Knife at 10oz.. I love my Kabar Fighting Knife too (that's a joke, I don't know what your packing).. but you don't need a knife that burly on the trail. And at 10oz I hope your at least packing a fixed blade. If your set on a fixed blade.. go with a Morakniv. Cheap but AWESOME blades. That'll save you another 5oz right there. But honestly, if you have a regular light folding pocketknife or Swiss army that's all you need. I typically carry an Opinel #7. Plenty of knife at 1.5oz

Bear Bag at 8oz .... go by a silnylon bag from an outfitter for $10. Something like a 13L should be perfect. It'll weight a little more than an ounce. Another 7oz weight savings right there. I'd rather use disposable grocery bags than a bag that weighs 8oz.

Leave the trowel at home. Saves 3oz.

Consider leaving your tablet home. If you miss it, have someone send it to you. Id do that rather than take it then send it home when you realize you don't want it. If you truly miss it, you can get it. If you start with it, you'll find poor excuses not to send it home.

You don't need to join the ultralight crowd.. but after the first week on my first long distance hike, I was throwing out and sending things home I never though I would part with. Your pack weight becomes very important and personal to you.

Switching things out like a lighter knife over the heavy one now is easier than exchanging them on the trail. You'd have to mail the old one home or throw it away then buy a new, lighter knife. It's easier and usually cheaper when you most likely have a light folder in your jeans or junk drawer right now.

RainbowDash
12-12-2014, 18:42
Looks like you could save some weight in a few places. You look good to go but I would try to get your base weight down to 15lbs before you leave. You could prob do so without spending any or just a little money.

One thing that really stands out is your Neo Air All Seasons at 26.16oz. There are much lighter options out there. For the cheap go get a zlite at 14oz. Or for expensive get an xlite at 12oz.

Your first aid and toiletries are pretty heavy. Especially your FAK. But... the only way to really shave weight in that department is with experience. So I wouldn't just start pulling stuff out of there. After a week or two on the trail... take out every item in your FAK and you'll know what to ditch.

Rope at 8oz.. what are you bringing. I carry 50' of zline at less than 2oz and its perfect for bear bagging and such. Zpacks, Antigravity gear, and other lightweight gear outfitters sell what you need. For $10 you could save almost 6oz right there.

Knife at 10oz.. I love my Kabar Fighting Knife too (that's a joke, I don't know what your packing).. but you don't need a knife that burly on the trail. And at 10oz I hope your at least packing a fixed blade. If your set on a fixed blade.. go with a Morakniv. Cheap but AWESOME blades. That'll save you another 5oz right there. But honestly, if you have a regular light folding pocketknife or Swiss army that's all you need. I typically carry an Opinel #7. Plenty of knife at 1.5oz

Bear Bag at 8oz .... go by a silnylon bag from an outfitter for $10. Something like a 13L should be perfect. It'll weight a little more than an ounce. Another 7oz weight savings right there. I'd rather use disposable grocery bags than a bag that weighs 8oz.

Consider leaving your tablet home. If you miss it, have someone send it to you. Id do that rather than take it then send it home when you realize you don't want it. If you truly miss it, you can get it. If you start with it, you'll find poor excuses not to send it home.

You don't need to join the ultralight crowd.. but after the first week on my first long distance hike, I was throwing out and sending things home I never though I would part with. Your pack weight becomes very important and personal to you.

Switching things out like a lighter knife over the heavy one now is easier than exchanging them on the trail. You'd have to mail the old one home or throw it away then buy a new, lighter knife. It's easier and usually cheaper when you most likely have a light folder in your jeans or junk drawer right now. My goal is to get it down to 15 actually. I've been debating about the tablet because its nearly a pound so I'll probably ditch it . If I ditch the trowel is a tent steak effective enough? The only thing I am stuck on is my sleeping pad I really need something comfortable. I'll switch to zline instead of wallmart rope. I love the look of that Opinel 7 and I love the price even more! :) If the bear bag is that cheap then I'll just buy one.
My first aid:
Immodium
Band Aids
Ibprophen small bottle
Gloves
Mole Skin
Sports Tape

Toiletries:
Tooth Brush
Tooth Powde
Floss
Doctor Bonners bar soap
camp towel
comb
bug spray
sun screen

Five Tango
12-12-2014, 22:13
I can't offer any advice but I do have a question.You have a gas canister stove but your fuel bottle looks like it is for
white gas?I don't understand that.Also,I used to know how long it takes acquamira tablets to work but since you plan to take a Platybus hoser have you considered a filter like the sawyer squeeze or the sawyer mini?BTW,hydrapak makes a pretty nice reversible 2 liter bladder that can be turned inside out for cleaning.Sawyer has adaptors for the Sawyer squeeze such that you can put a quick disconnect in line a couple inches from the bite valve and fill the bladder without having to take it out of the pack.Just a thot.I never did find the knife or rope referenced in the above post.Some of these new lines are nothing short of amazing though.My "knife" is now a hand pruner to get the briars and vines clear of my tarp etc. but I will have a small folder and mini scissor for opening packaging etc.

Deacon
12-13-2014, 07:22

It's obvious who doesn't carry a trowel in the woods, from the piles of feces left behind on top of the ground. Some say they use a pole or a boot heel. When I have to go, I can't wait or expend the effort to use those methods. I suggest the titanium Big Dig trowel at 0.6 oz. I never dug a hole where I didn't have to cut through roots or dig up rocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RETCW4
12-13-2014, 09:31
You show a MSR fuel bottle and a MSR Pocket Rocket. You'll need canister fuel for the Pocket Rocket

RainbowDash
12-13-2014, 10:01
You show a MSR fuel bottle and a MSR Pocket Rocket. You'll need canister fuel for the Pocket Rocket
oops I must of misread lol. I usually just use a pop can but I wanted something less perishable.

RainbowDash
12-13-2014, 10:03
It's obvious who doesn't carry a trowel in the woods, from the piles of feces left behind on top of the ground. Some say they use a pole or a boot heel. When I have to go, I can't wait or expend the effort to use those methods. I suggest the titanium Big Dig trowel at 0.6 oz. I never dug a hole where I didn't have to cut through roots or dig up rocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'll add that in :) Thanks!

RainbowDash
12-13-2014, 10:12
I can't offer any advice but I do have a question.You have a gas canister stove but your fuel bottle looks like it is for
white gas?I don't understand that.Also,I used to know how long it takes acquamira tablets to work but since you plan to take a Platybus hoser have you considered a filter like the sawyer squeeze or the sawyer mini?BTW,hydrapak makes a pretty nice reversible 2 liter bladder that can be turned inside out for cleaning.Sawyer has adaptors for the Sawyer squeeze such that you can put a quick disconnect in line a couple inches from the bite valve and fill the bladder without having to take it out of the pack.Just a thot.I never did find the knife or rope referenced in the above post.Some of these new lines are nothing short of amazing though.My "knife" is now a hand pruner to get the briars and vines clear of my tarp etc. but I will have a small folder and mini scissor for opening packaging etc.
They sell the knives on amazon for 13 bucks. I kind of hate filtersThey are so unreliabl and I usually will just use a cup to gather water and a bandana to get most of the particulates out before doing aqua mira drops. The reservoir looks good and I'll add it to my list! Thanks everyone for being so helpful!

Connie
12-13-2014, 10:35
Hydrapak reservoir can be turned inside out to wash it thoroughly.
http://hydrapak.com/store-2/#!/Shape-Shift-Reversible-Reservoir/p/6779086/category=632576

A new product, RoguePak clean water cartridge hydration system will be sold at the website the first of the year. http://www.roguepak.com

It is disposable: 50 oz. 70 oz. 100 oz.

I think Platypus brand started it all. I like "platys".

I carry one reservoir for "dirty" water, one smaller one or two smaller "platys" for "clean" water, with a Sawyer mini water filter to set up in between the two.

(Previously I used a Sawyer Squeeze, which is slightly bigger and slightly heavier.)

I carry the 1.5 liter "clean" water bladder with a flip-open spout lid in a side pocket, because I do not use a "drink tube" because the drink tube gets dirty.

Other people carry a grocery store-bought smaller water bottle on their pack shoulder strap for convenience.

Whatever you choose, drinking water is imperative.

I like the big opening reservoir-type, even if 2.5 liters is my "big" dirty water reservoir, because it is easier to fill with water and easier to clean.

I haven't been on the AT. In mountains and woods, in the West, it is helpful to work out a way to securely tie the water bladder to the end of the hiking pole to reach and dip water from the water source.

Five Tango
12-13-2014, 11:24
I am curious how you get the water out of your clean water bladder if you do not use the tube?Or do you just not drink from the tube?BTW,I discovered that an empty 1 liter bottle of Jose Cuervo Margarita Mix is a great compromise between flimsy water bottles and Lexan at only 3 oz.The platy hose screws right on to it no problem!

Connie
12-13-2014, 11:45
I use the tubes for the Sawyer water filter.

I replace the tubes, frequently, with those I find at a hardware store.

Five Tango
12-13-2014, 17:18
Oh,ok,I understand now.Not trying to hijack this thread and if I need to move to a more appropriate one,someone please advise; but I am dying to know if people actually use Polident denture cleanser for their bladders and tubes and what sort of results do they get?

jimmyjam
12-13-2014, 19:22
the
fizzy denture cleaners work good. i used to use them when i carried a camelback

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2