PDA

View Full Version : Best Books for AT prep

arcuri1427
12-12-2014, 22:05
Planning on hiking after graduation in a year and a half, so I want to start reading as much as I can now. Suggestions on good all around books as well as any specific books I might want to check out?

Thanks

Marybeth Clay
12-13-2014, 00:35
Appalachian Trials by Zach Davis is a really great book. It's about the mental/emotional side of long distance hiking, and gives good insight into a lot of "trials" inevitable on any long distance hike. While a lot of prep focuses on gear and being physically prepared (both of which are important!), this book helps prepare for overcoming the common psychological challenges that lead a lot of people to get off the trail.

http://www.amazon.com/Appalachian-Trials-Psychological-Successfully-Thru-Hiking-ebook/dp/B0074U5L58/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418445165&sr=8-1&keywords=zach+davis+trials

Rain Man
12-13-2014, 13:28
As Far As The Eye Can See by David Brill.
Walking On The Happy Side Of Misery by Model-T.

Just for starters! There are many more good ones that will be suggested.

Not a book, but an early, early online journal that is great: Then The Hail Came (http://www.skwc.com/exile/Hail-nf.html) by George Steffanos

somers515
12-13-2014, 15:00
Appalachian Trials by Zach Davis is a really great book. It's about the mental/emotional side of long distance hiking, and gives good insight into a lot of "trials" inevitable on any long distance hike. While a lot of prep focuses on gear and being physically prepared (both of which are important!), this book helps prepare for overcoming the common psychological challenges that lead a lot of people to get off the trail.

http://www.amazon.com/Appalachian-Trials-Psychological-Successfully-Thru-Hiking-ebook/dp/B0074U5L58/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418445165&sr=8-1&keywords=zach+davis+trials

+1 for Appalachian Trials.

At some point I'd put A Walk in the Woods on your reading list. The littering isn't as funny as Bill Bryson thinks it is but I think it's worth a quick read.

http://www.amazon.com/Walk-Woods-Rediscovering-America-Appalachian/dp/0307279464

MuddyWaters
12-13-2014, 16:08
I dont know if reading any of these books help with prep, but reading about others experiences , especially in first couple weeks can shape your expectations.

Too many wannabe hikers are out of shape, and expecting it to be like a stroll around their neighborhood. They are the ones that dont get far.

Another group tries to keep up with faster hikers and ends up hurting themselves, they dont get far either.

All the info you really need, is right here

arcuri1427
12-15-2014, 15:12
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Tipi Walter
12-15-2014, 15:16
Arcuri1427---No books are needed. Most AT books are terribly boring with towns visited and meals eaten and a million unknown people you'll never meet mentioned.

My advice is to start sleeping outside every night in your backyard or on your deck or porch and start getting used to your sleeping system and sleeping pad and hats and all the rest. Go to a local outfitter if possible and look at everything, esp shelters, packs and sleeping bags. In the meantime, get some sort of sleeping pad and go outside and throw 5 or 6 heavy quilts or blankets on top (until you get a good bag) and start sleeping outside.

If things get tough get up and go back inside.

swisscross
12-15-2014, 16:31
The best book is the journal you write.
Get outside and document your experience not for anyone but yourself.

Tipi Walter
12-15-2014, 16:34
And take a camera cuz in 40 years you'll want to see the places you camped and the gear you used.

Tipi Walter
12-15-2014, 16:36
And 50 years from now you can do a vintage gear post here on Whiteblaze and show us the ancient boots and tents you used.

RED-DOG
12-15-2014, 16:39
Their actually a book that explains how to plan a AT Thru-hike and it's called "How To Hike The AT-Planning and Preparation" the name might be off a little bit it's been a couple of years since i have seen it but if you look around in your local outfitter or On-line you should be able to find it.

RED-DOG
12-15-2014, 16:42
[QUOTE=RED-DOG;1929019]Their actually a book that explains how to plan a AT Thru-hike and it's called "How To Hike The AT-Planning and Preparation" the name might be off a little bit it's been a couple of years since i have seen it but if you look around in your local outfitter or On-line you should be able to find it.[/QUOTE
Go to Trail Journals.com and read the journals of this years thru-hikers.

Slo-go'en
12-15-2014, 19:03
"How to hike the A.T." The nitty-gritty details of a long-distance trek by Michelle Ray.

She pretty much covers it all.

The #1 thing to do for prep - save up lots and lots of money.

freightliner
12-15-2014, 19:10
I would think that Ray Jardine's book on UltraLite backpacking would be a good book to read. He's a bit of a nut case so don't take it as backpacking religion but there is some excellent tips in there that you could use. I have also found that in the Nimblewills Nomad book 10 million steps was a really good read. A lot of good tips on backpacking and good quotes to remember. If you want to learn how to do all the wrong things while hiking you could read AWOLS book but I can't remember the name of it now. That should keep you busy for now.