PDA

View Full Version : atlanta airport to subway

levesque1014
12-12-2014, 23:48
Has anyone taken the marta subway from the Atlanta airport to north station,? How difficult is it to access from the airport?

auburn499
12-13-2014, 00:01
You should know that MARTA is one of the worst transit systems in the United States if not the world. Most of the stations are miles away from their namesakes. The people who ride and hang around MARTA are very seedy. It may be cheap, but you will spend significantly more time trying to use Marta than an alternative. There are companies that will shuttle you to Springer or other trailheads in Georgia.

GoldenBear
12-13-2014, 00:02
> Has anyone taken the marta subway from the Atlanta airport to north station

Do you mean North Springs? Or North Avenue?
If the latter, then both the Red Line and the Yellow Line go there.
If the former, you'll have to ensure you board the Red Line.
http://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedFiles/Schedules_And_Maps/Rail_Schedules_or_Routes/Rail-Map33x33-2014.pdf

In both cases, you just pay the $2.50 to get on the rail line, and ride till you get to your exit. Then you exit.

> How difficult is it to access from the airport?

Basically, you just follow the signs for Marta.
I hate to use the phrase, "You can't miss it," but, if you can't find the entrance for Marta at Hartsfield-Jackson Airport, then you REALLY don't belong on the A.T. :^)
http://www.itsmarta.com/airport.aspx

Hogie
12-13-2014, 00:36
MARTA is safe to ride and is accessible from within the ATL airport. Like all major metro mass transit I wouldn't recommend riding it late at night, but outside of that I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

Northern Lights
12-13-2014, 02:12
Has anyone taken the marta subway from the Atlanta airport to north station,? How difficult is it to access from the airport?

Super easy, if I can find it anyone can find it :)

Trailweaver
12-13-2014, 02:21
If you read the forums here much, you will see that many people fly into Atlanta, take Marta to the northern most station (and I'm not sure which one that is, since I haven't done it) and then get a shuttle pick up to Springer. Hiker Hostel regularly picks up there, and I'm sure other shuttle drivers do as well. Marta may very well not be safe to ride at night, but I wouldn't ride any subway late at night in any big city. It's still reliable to do in the daytime. Check with the HH for some details, and m guess is that you can do this. GoldenBear is right - if you can't find Marta from the Atlanta airport, then you can't find the trail either.

TNhiker
12-13-2014, 02:34
but I wouldn't ride any subway late at night in any big city

i feel safe riding the nyc subway late at night....

mainly from about 96st street down.....

but I can't attest to the Atlanta subway....

norts
12-13-2014, 04:59
I used Marta this year, I am not used to using public transport. I found it very convenient and easy to access. When you make a booking with the hiker hostel they give details on which station to get off so you can meet their shuttle. Easy to find at the airport

Taz

Deacon
12-13-2014, 06:41
You should know that MARTA is one of the worst transit systems in the United States if not the world. Most of the stations are miles away from their namesakes. The people who ride and hang around MARTA are very seedy. It may be cheap, but you will spend significantly more time trying to use Marta than an alternative. There are companies that will shuttle you to Springer or other trailheads in Georgia.

-1. Not sure why you are saying this, but you are entitled to your opinion. . I found the MARTA very convenient and the people friendly, just like everywhere else. It's only steps from when you get off the plane to the trains.

To the OP, You will take the red line all the way to to end to the North Springs station, and wait for your shuttle there.

VTATHiker
12-13-2014, 08:01
I used MARTA last month to visit the downtown area from the airport. There are plenty of signs in the airport that direct you to the MARTA station and you just need to buy a $3.50 ticket ($1 for the card you get, and $2.50 for the transit) to go anywhere on the MARTA network you need to go. Very easy, and much less expensive than almost any other option.

Coffee
12-13-2014, 09:04
Rules for any subway anywhere in the world is to not appear to have money (check, for most backpackers), avoid eye contact, appear to know where you are going, and avoid very late night travel. I've never had issues in Washington or NYC following these rules. How much worse could Atlanta really be?

FatMan
12-13-2014, 09:49
Wow, I see you live in Decatur and certainly have knowledge of Marta. But I have to disagree. My wife and I use Marta several times a year going to concerts at various venues downtown and we find it very convenient. And although some of the riders may not be of the upper echelons we have never felt in any danger, even after midnight.

We also use Marta to the airport when we travel. Saves a ton on parking as I can park at my business in Doraville and walk over to the station. It is super convenient. Maybe the problems you see are more on the east/west lines.

To the OP, Marta is right in the airport near Baggage Claim. As noted above, if you can't find it get back on a plane and fly back home. You should not be out on the trail. :lol

MkBibble
12-13-2014, 15:59
It is dreadfully easy to get from your plane to the MARTA station; they are in the same building. http://www.itsmarta.com/airport.aspx

I have taken MARTA to he North Springs terminal a few times, day and night, and never had any issues. Okay, a little issue buying a ticket from the vending machine the first time, but a very nice attendant helped me out - without me even asking. If you're riding late (after 9:00 pm I think) you will have to change trains at the Lindbergh Center. Again, pretty easy.

Dogwood
12-13-2014, 20:36
Easy. also sweasy peasy easy enough to find out on your own with a few clicks on the comeputyoutour.

levesque1014
12-14-2014, 00:34
Thank you for this great info and snide remarks. I love them. I'm sure I can find my way. Great to know that it's in the same building and well signed. Plan to arrive early afternoon so should be ok.

MkBibble
12-14-2014, 00:54
I have always been puzzled by the announcements as the train approaches each station. There seems to be two different systems making the announcements, sometimes at the same time. I thought it was s random failure the first time, but it has been that way every ride over several years.

Also, unless you are riding late, the ride is goof proof. You get on at one end and off at the other. You can't miss your stop.

snowcone
12-15-2014, 15:00
Marta is very easy to use from the airport. Living in Atlanta I always take Marta to the airport to avoid parking fees. The entrance is right by baggage claim and you won't need to transfer trains to North Springs.

It's also fun to people watch on Marta but be wary of your belongings :)

scope
12-15-2014, 18:09

I live in North Atlanta, and we always take Marta when we fly, especially since we live rather close to a Marta station (Chamblee). Yes, its very easy, simply go to the end of the terminal on the baggage claim side, North or South terminal the same, and Marta is right there as part of each terminal. There's a "Doraville" train, and there's a "North Springs" train, the latter is what you want. Plan on it being about an hour once you're on the train.

This is utter bunk. Having travelled in Boston and DC, Marta does pale in comparison in terms of the system as a whole. In terms of clientele, its about the same as DC. But for the purpose of going from south of the city to north of the city, whereby your ride doesn't have to deal with the frustrating traffic of getting through downtown to get to the airport, not to mention the additional mileage and time that you pay for, its absolutely ideal. Keep in mind its about 1.5 hrs of mostly carefree driving from the North Springs station to Amicalola or the Hiker Hostel. Its at least an hour of stressful driving going the other way to get to the airport. I don't know what the rates are, but I know if I were a offering to shuttle, I'd charge half as much or less to pickup from North Springs than I would the airport.

Now, if you got the funds, by all means just sit back and let someone drive. That will save a little time, but not much. If you do take Marta, keep in mind its about an hour of Marta train time, and you might end up waiting up to a half hour for a train - though, typically not more than 10 min. If your plane comes in at 1pm, I'd allow 2 hours - an hour getting off the plane, getting your checked bag, and to Marta - and then the hour on the train. (I'd imagine your ride might have a better feel for that than I would).

Do you mean North Springs? Or North Avenue?

This is funny, unless of course you want to go to a Georgia Tech game. Who asks about Marta and hiking the AT who wants to get off at North Ave?

scope
12-15-2014, 23:15
...Also, unless you are riding late, the ride is goof proof. You get on at one end and off at the other. You can't miss your stop.

Yes, before traveling to Boston and DC, Marta was my only experience. Reading the maps of how to get where I wanted to go on those systems was mind-blowing! On Marta, you go North-South or East-West, with a couple of easy to remember kinks worked in - like remembering to get on the North Springs train instead of the Doraville train going north. Unless of course you want to come see me in Chamblee, one stop south of Doraville.

BillyGr
12-16-2014, 12:46
Yes, before traveling to Boston and DC, Marta was my only experience. Reading the maps of how to get where I wanted to go on those systems was mind-blowing! On Marta, you go North-South or East-West, with a couple of easy to remember kinks worked in - like remembering to get on the North Springs train instead of the Doraville train going north. Unless of course you want to come see me in Chamblee, one stop south of Doraville.

That has (most likely) to do with the age of the systems – it looks like the MARTA is around 35 years old (from their site).
Parts of the Boston and NY systems date to the late 1800's. And they've developed over the years as their cities have (both cities have continued to expand in various directions over the years). So they probably aren't as logical as they would be if someone was to have built them more recently, knowing where all the population of many years would wind up.
One additional – NYC at one time in the early years had 3 separate “companies” that ran transit in the city (BMT/BRT, IRT and IND), which adds to the system confusion as when they were competing companies they would run lines that were similar to what another company had. So, now that all three are combined there are still some lines that duplicate which would probably not have been built if it was all done as one system to start.

Tennessee Viking
12-16-2014, 12:46
Check Survivor Dave's website. Its has all the info you need.
http://www.atsurvivordave.com/marta.html

Snicklefritz
12-16-2014, 12:56
This is funny, unless of course you want to go to a Georgia Tech game. Who asks about Marta and hiking the AT who wants to get off at North Ave?[/QUOTE]

Quick Varsity stop first??

HICKS
12-16-2014, 14:07
I live in NYC and take the subway every day. I also travel to Atlanta about twice a year and have taken the train from the airport to North Springs a bunch of times. During the day I'd say that MARTA ride is very easy (if a bit slow) and feels if anything safer than NYC these days which is pretty safe (I've ridden NYC subway since the late 80's when it was quite bad).

I wouldn't take either at night by myself with a pack if there were other options though.

maptester
12-16-2014, 17:26
If you have concerns about riding MARTA in off hours (late or early) I would suggest you ride in the very front railcar where is operator is located. I have never had problems riding in the front car. And you can ask questions to the operator if you need to. YMMV