PDA

View Full Version : Hostel Site for Sale

jbbweeks
12-13-2014, 13:40
I have very mixed emotions in selling my cabin. Having taught school for over 20 years, I recently had to retire for health reasons. For years I dreamed of having a hostel on the AT and offering “trail magic” to everyone that passed my way. Forced to retire a couple of years back, I foolishly, I used my nest egg to build my dream and hoped for the best, but, very close to completion, things fell apart.
The AT has always attracted me, even though I have difficulty hiking. My friends gave me the trail name “Nightcrawler” because I had a habit of crawling into the shelter after dark, exhausted. If my respiratory system had supported my trail aspirations, I would have been a thru-hiker a decade ago. But I loved every moment I spent on or around the trail. In my younger days, I could just keep pushing and make some miles. Section by section, I hiked past every white blaze between Springer and Damascus. Finding a slip of property near the trail in Bland County, Va., I finagled with the owner to work out a ‘dollar down and dollar a day’ type deal and faithfully made payments while I taught school. Then one weekend I got sick and was never allowed to return. Suddenly without my students,I had no one to help. I hoped helping the AT hikers would fill that sudden void, so I took a shot at my dream and…
I live in upstate SC, 5 hrs. away from my cabin, so my friends in Bland have been watching things. Selling is the last thing I want to do, but, sadly, I have reached that point. But I want someone that loves the AT, has a generous spirit, and wants to help all hikers on the trail, to take over my dream. It may be a selfish, narrow-minded pipe dream, but if I have to let it go, I at least want the pleasure of knowing my cabin is in the hands of a trail person or group.
So with that said, the location is near the footbridge on VA 615 in Bland County VA
the cabin is about a mile over the ridge from the trail - 1.75 mi by road
· Two bdrms, two bthrm, large loft area, kitchen, great room, huge front deck
· Never had appraisal done, but State Farm made me insure cabin for $ 91,000
· It is 75% complete
· Right now has temporary power (extension cord from power pole)
· Water from one of two creeks pumped to 1100 gal. storage tank above cabin
· Water pumped by ram pump (no electricity needed)
· Approx. 3.5 acres bordered by Jefferson National Forest
· Must have $ 75,000 to almost break even
· Not under sales contract at present
· Some fantastic neighbors
If anyone would like to invest a little $$$ in a worn out middle school history teacher, has a love for the AT and doing trail magic, and wants to be partner in an AT hostel, I would entertain all offers.

Thank you WhiteBlaze for your service to hikers-
I am with regrets-
Bruce Weeks
[email protected]
(864) 287-8017 home
(864) 221-6410 – cell / text-best way to contact
29158 29159

HeartWalker
12-13-2014, 16:01
Good luck with your sale

Connie
12-13-2014, 16:23
double post

Connie
12-13-2014, 16:24
There was someone in the forum that wants to have a hostel.

They mistyped the thread name: Hostile.

I think a forum moderator changed the name of the thread to Hostel. I'll look around.

Hostel Question:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/107698-Hostel-Question?highlight=Hostel

Deb
12-13-2014, 23:42
What a beautiful place. I love the look of it, and the decks.

Honuben
12-13-2014, 23:53
I wish i had a permanent real job. If this opportunity came up in a few months/year, i would jump at this. Bumping for you. If still for sale in a year, i will get back to,you.

jdc5294
12-16-2014, 16:47
Good luck with your sale
+1, sorry things didn't work out. With some work this could be a great place.

JohnnySnook
12-18-2014, 03:36
Where is Baxterbear? This looks like it could be a great investment! It's not in GA where he wants the trail rerouted to but closer to your home?

ChefATLTCT
12-18-2014, 06:22
Is the area zoned for commercial use? Can a hostel operate on this property legally?I know down south zoning laws are scarce or even non existence, unlike up here in MA were every inch of land is controlled by some local zoning ordinance.

jbbweeks
12-18-2014, 12:22
I don't think zoning would be a problem. The building inspector told me that people out in the area of my cabin demanded privacy and he did everything he could to respect their wishes.

jbbweeks
12-18-2014, 12:47
Also, there is a Professor Emeritus at Virginia Tech, Dr. Robert Giles, working on a "Rural System" initiative that would include Bland County. His initiative seeks funding to expand and exploit all recreational activities available in the counties along the AT. I am only vaguely familiar with his work, but it seems thought provoking. He has struggled to gain local support. [email protected] ; www.RuralSystem.com ; he has a book about the project http://ruralsystemguide.com/A_Rural/TitlePage.html and seeks input from all concerned.

TheNumberSix
04-02-2015, 11:33
That is a dream!