slowpoke
10-24-2005, 09:17
westwind stove or msr xgk stove
please help me decide which stove to use on my thru hike
i'm starting on feb 12 and need to pick which one to use
thanks for any help:-?

MadAussieInLondon
10-24-2005, 11:38
id get a good alch burner like a brasslite, but if you must have a gass burner, i'd get a snowpeak gst-100 (or gs-100)...

if your set on a trangia, trangias are HEAVY, id get a good burner from brasslite.com, same fuel, better stove.

The Solemates
10-24-2005, 11:41
why the xgk? if you want liquid gas, go with something lighter. like the simmerlite.

Footslogger
10-24-2005, 11:48
It's true that the Trangia is heavier than other alcohol stoves but it is extremely durable and reliable. Added to that you can store unused fuel in the stove. I did my thru with the Trangia (made my own pot stand) and would do that again. I own a few of the lighter weight alcohol stoves but only carry them on shorter hikes. The added weight (ounces) is worth the dependability ...at least to me.

'Slogger

RLC_FLA
10-24-2005, 12:00
We did our thru in '89 with an XGK, never had a bit of trouble with it no matter what the altitude or temp. Could buy white gas almost anywhere by the pt.

That being said, we're leaving this weekend for N Ga to do some day hikes and an overnighter up to Springer and we'll be taking our brand new "Mini Trangia". Never cooked with an alcahol stove before so we'll see what happens!

RLC_FLA
GA->ME '89

Panzer1
10-24-2005, 12:21
The MSR XGK is one of the hottest stoves on the market. Rated as "extreme conditions". While the Trangia westwind is a light weight alcohol stove. Not as hot. I think it is like comparing apples and oranges.

If I were leaving on Feb 12, I would take the XGK because it is a better cold weather stove. I would want a hot stove for this early in Feb.

If you were leaving in April, I would go with the westwind because it is lighter and you won't need such a hot stove.

Panzer

The Solemates
10-24-2005, 15:33
we left feb 1 and carried the simmerlite.

Panzer1
10-24-2005, 17:35
Why did you narrow your search down to these 2 stoves anyway?

Panzer

slowpoke
10-24-2005, 20:19
Why did you narrow your search down to these 2 stoves anyway?

Panzerthe reason i picked these stoves is because i own both of them and only want to take one

Panzer1
10-24-2005, 23:30
the reason i picked these stoves is because i own both of them and only want to take one
Well, since your leaving in February, I would take the XGK because it is the hotter of the two. The stove is actually designed for the winter months.

When the weather warms up, have someone at home mail you the westwind and mail the XGK home in the same box. The postage won't be much. This way you can use both of them on your trip.

Panzer

MedicineMan
10-24-2005, 23:58
but after 3 decades of this stuff there are a few laying around....the MSR xgk
is great if you are headed to Nepal....make a cat can stove or a pepsi can stove if money is the issue, if you like heirlooms to be get a Brasslite...besides i hate the noise of the xgk.