PDA

View Full Version : Approach Trail

LIVESTRONG
10-24-2005, 10:05
Just got home from springer finishing my thruhike, A lady at the visitor center told me that in 07 the approach trail will also be the AT. So the AT will start from the visitors center instead of springer

max patch
10-24-2005, 10:16
Just got home from springer finishing my thruhike, A lady at the visitor center told me that in 07 the approach trail will also be the AT. So the AT will start from the visitors center instead of springer

No way. Not going to happen.

Freighttrain
10-24-2005, 10:18
i thought it took an act of congress to designate a trail part of the AT? which is why the IAT isnt officially part of the AT?

D'Artagnan
10-24-2005, 10:50
Congratulations on your thru-hike!

Cuffs
10-24-2005, 15:58
You got my interest up on this one so I emailed the ATC and John Fletcher, Information Asst, states that it is strictly rumor. There have been no proposals to Congres to do this. The ATC's position is that Springer is the southern terminus.

Almost There
10-24-2005, 16:45
That would suck! The AT should start and end on a mountain top, simple as that! It's more awe inspiring for the start and finish.

Ridge
10-27-2005, 12:52
The 8+ mile access trail to Springer from Amicalola Falls State Park was part of the original AT which began at Mt Oglethorpe. Earl Shaffer began his first thru-hike there. I believe the trail will always have a mountain to end or began a thru-hike. I can't imagine starting a trip at Katahdin and hike the entire way only to end it in a parking lot at a state park, how crazy is that?

Doctari
10-30-2005, 18:14

That rumor has been on the AT at least every other year "Forever". Much like the "Rat in a coke bottle" type stories.

Doctari.