PDA

View Full Version : AT Thru Hike Lecture last night

ericmack
12-14-2014, 08:00
Attended the Smokey Mountains Hiking Club dinner which featured "Maw Maw" who thru-hiked in 2012 at age 75. She showed many-many pictures of the trail to include many that looked like one needed to - in essence- rock climb.

I now I sound like broken record. But badly want to do this with wife in 2016. With the two hip replaced and right shoulder replaced plus fused spine and bad subtalar joints...I know I am limited in range of motion.

If I hit an obstacle I cannot climb- are there enough blue blazes to go around and/or are the White Mountains impossible for me?

My apologies for asking once again- my tough hiking wife is very skeptical I can make it- but has not hiked the AT.

Regardless- I will start. Just curious where I will look at something that I will cuss out!

Respectfully
Eric

imscotty
12-14-2014, 09:06
EricMack - I would say that there are many places along the trail that involve short rock scrambles. Not technical climbing mind you, but short stretches where you will be using your upper body and looking for the next handhold. Mount Mooseilauki in NH comes to mind, there are metal handholds placed in some rocks to help. You should also read up on Mahoosuc Notch which is more of a crawl than a climb. I actually enjoy the the chance to sometimes use my upper body and not have my legs do all the work. To get around something like Mahoosuc Notch would be a rather significant Blue or Yellow Blaze.

I hope that you will not let this deter you, just start walking and see where the trail takes you. It is all good. Wish you the best.

lemon b
12-14-2014, 09:31
There are plenty of blue blazes and shortcuts. Do not be foolish and get yourself hurt. If an area is too dangerous for your age and physical limits just skip it. Hiking is not a contest.

Connie
12-14-2014, 09:32
From YouTube:

Part 1

http://youtu.be/gkd_xcSfVDM

Connie
12-14-2014, 09:33
From YouTube:

Part 2

http://youtu.be/ukFxp9at4Io

Connie
12-14-2014, 09:34
From YouTube:

Part 3

http://youtu.be/PEbdLQBYTgY

4shot
12-14-2014, 10:07
The "full contact, full body" hiking does not begin until mid NH or so. If you are a southerner, you will be amazed and shocked at the differences in trail condition between that section and what you see around here. Just no way to simulate that around here.It would help to do as much hiking as possible and be in the best physical shape that you can. Weight training yoga and stretching can help with range of motion issues. (Legal disclaimer - please consult your physician prior to beginning an exercise program)

I carried maps and was usually aware of blue blaze trails and alternate routes. When I got to the Mahousic Notch,it was pouring down rain so I fond a gravel road and followed it to the road crossing where I picked up the AT again.I was uncomfortable hiking up there in wet conditions (although sometimes it cannot be avoided). With that being said, I do not know how one could blue blaze around an area as large as the Whites.You should order some maps and o the research...or perhaps a local could offer some suggestions. IIRC, southern Maine was actually more difficult than the Whites.

Good luck and best wishes on your hike.

bigcranky
12-14-2014, 11:24
The "full contact, full body" hiking does not begin until mid NH or so. If you are a southerner, you will be amazed and shocked at the differences in trail condition between that section and what you see around here.

Yes, this. Even Southern Vermont was as tough as anything I've hiked in the South.

ericmack
12-14-2014, 15:59
Thanks for the ideas- I know the Whites and Vermont can't be avoided- just will deal with it the best I can. Great news about the notch- I know I would fail there. Also- thanks for the videos "Pocketful of Dreams". Had trouble opening them- went on U-Tube and no problem. Thanks again for all the kind help.

Slo-go'en
12-14-2014, 17:54
I think in your condition everything north of Mass needs to be avoided. But there will be plenty of opportunities to test your skills and challenge your abilities before you even get that far. The AT was designed for mountain goats. You might actually have better luck on western trails.

full conditions
12-14-2014, 19:05
The "full contact, full body" hiking does not begin until mid NH or so. If you are a southerner, you will be amazed and shocked at the differences in trail condition between that section and what you see around here. Just no way to simulate that around here.It would help to do as much hiking as possible and be in the best physical shape that you can. Weight training yoga and stretching can help with range of motion issues. (Legal disclaimer - please consult your physician prior to beginning an exercise program)

I carried maps and was usually aware of blue blaze trails and alternate routes. When I got to the Mahousic Notch,it was pouring down rain so I fond a gravel road and followed it to the road crossing where I picked up the AT again.I was uncomfortable hiking up there in wet conditions (although sometimes it cannot be avoided). With that being said, I do not know how one could blue blaze around an area as large as the Whites.You should order some maps and o the research...or perhaps a local could offer some suggestions. IIRC, southern Maine was actually more difficult than the Whites.

Good luck and best wishes on your hike.
The best you can do in our neck of the woods is a multi-day trip on Grandfather Mountain. Ladders, cliffs, exposure, and boreal forests.

ericmack
12-14-2014, 20:36
I think in your condition everything north of Mass needs to be avoided. But there will be plenty of opportunities to test your skills and challenge your abilities before you even get that far. The AT was designed for mountain goats. You might actually have better luck on western trails.

Thank Full Condition- know NC well and hiked those forests. Part of what hooked me. Slo-go"en...sounds like I will cuss out New England!

jdc5294
12-16-2014, 16:55
I can't remember anywhere in the Whites that was as bad as the hand-over-hand stuff in the Notch or going up the last third(ish) of Katadhin, which was the worst on the whole trail in my opinion. But it's been over 2 years now my memory could just be going. And I'm sure you can yellow blaze around anything, even the Whites. I forget the name of it but there's a hostel right before you enter the Whites, I bet if you paid them something they'd be willing to shuttle you around to.....Gorham, NH? Jeez I can't remember what town you hit coming out of there. I must be getting old.

RED-DOG
12-16-2014, 17:10
You should be fine in the southern half theirs plenty of blue blazes you can take, in my opinion the BBs are more spectacular than the White Blazed AT route, you will have a couple of issues in PA but if you take your time and carefully pick your steps you should be fine, but by the time you get to NH you be in good enough shape that you should be able to handle it if you take your time but MT Katahdin should be avoided.

Like others have suggested in your other thread, I would suggest you do the AT in sections.

HighLiner
12-16-2014, 20:44
I summited at the same time the folks in this video did. In fact talked to several there. It was pretty cool seeing our group in the background on one of the pans. What an amazing day. Thanks for sharing!

Sly
12-16-2014, 21:26
I summited at the same time the folks in this video did. In fact talked to several there. It was pretty cool seeing our group in the background on one of the pans. What an amazing day. Thanks for sharing!

Unfortunately that's probably one of the large celebratory groups that got reported, most likely for hogging the sign, open alcohol etc. The results being a scathing report from Baxter State Park to the ATC about AT hikers not complying with the rules and regulations.

Something like 16,000 people have hiked the trail, in the scheme of things it's certainly a worthy accomplishment, but that shouldn't let someone's individual or group enthusiasm ruin the summit for someone else.

HighLiner
12-16-2014, 22:17
We actually left just prior to the "celebration". I fortunately had the summit by myself for a few minutes and had time to savor "my moment". We then moved away from the sign and people watched. After reading the BSP report yesterday I do see your point. At the time I did not even consider their celebration as out of line. But aside from the large gathering, I truly only saw happy people there. I certainly felt a sense of reverence for this magnificent place. But I guess I feel that way for the entire trail.

Traveler
12-17-2014, 08:05
We actually left just prior to the "celebration". I fortunately had the summit by myself for a few minutes and had time to savor "my moment". We then moved away from the sign and people watched. After reading the BSP report yesterday I do see your point. At the time I did not even consider their celebration as out of line. But aside from the large gathering, I truly only saw happy people there. I certainly felt a sense of reverence for this magnificent place. But I guess I feel that way for the entire trail.

I hope in these lectures and podcasts that celebrate the trail and encourage its use, there are cautionary words to the rules (both written and unwritten) hikers should follow to ensure the trail remains open. Not just for Katahdin but along the entire length. If not, there should be.

ericmack
12-17-2014, 16:32
If I actually make it up Katahdin- I promise to be very proper in my decorum :) Then they can cart me down strapped to an ambulance litter.