PDA

View Full Version : Why are you doing the A T?

Ron Haven
12-14-2014, 23:15
Is it a dream, or just to see if you can?

T-Rx
12-15-2014, 09:22
Ron,
This is a great question and something I have thought about quite a lot. For me it is both of these things, a challenge and a dream, plus: after a 32 year career in management within a Fortune 500 corporation I must admit that I have become a bit jaded and cynical in my view of the world and people. I am hoping my experiences on the AT and the people I meet along the way will help restore my faith in the basic goodness of mankind. This is also a time of transition for my wife and I as we begin this new phase of our lives (retirement) in a new location and state from our previous home of 26 years. We both plan to enter this next chapter of our liives with zeal and an unbridled enthusiasm for living every day to its fullest and being extremely thankful for all we have been blessed with in our lives thus far. I look forward to meeting you and many other wonderful people on the journey. Thanks for all you do to support the hiking community!

DavidNH
12-15-2014, 09:56
This is a question that a lot more folks should think about. Why are you doing the trail in the first place. The answer could well have a bearing on one's likelihood of finishing.

Damn Yankee
12-15-2014, 10:17
For me, it's a little of both. Like T-Rx, I too am retired and have the time to follow a dream of hiking one of the major trails. Also, and more importantly, I am a veteran who suffers from PTSD and have learned that time spent in the woods, by myself, with occasional company is good for my soul, renews my trust in people, and generally all around mental health healing. I am hoping to hike with the Warrior Hikers this year in an attempt to become a triple crowner.

T-Rx
12-15-2014, 10:25
Damn Yankee,
Perhaps our paths will cross next year and thank you for your service to our country!

GoldenBear
12-15-2014, 12:56
First of all, I'm a section hiker dedicated to doing all 2180 miles of The Trail -- and got halfway there just this year.

I think about that question just about every day I'm out there, and particularly when the rain is coming down, my socks are soaking wet, and I'm going down Agony Hill (but not TOO fast!).
I ask myself WHY am I exacting such a toll on my body and psyche, when there is absolutely NO chance for ANY reward, other than what I give to myself.
And, like Sherlock Holmes, I basically try to eliminate all possibilities but one -- at which point I declare that the one that remains, so matter how ridiculous, must be the correct one.

I definitely don't do it for the camaraderie -- I'd rather not meet a soul when I arrive at a shelter or campsite, and have had FAR more difficulties with other hikers than with loneliness.

Likewise, I don't do it for isolation or to get off the grid -- I could get that simply by staying at a wilderness cabin, and be far more comfortable.
And I DON'T ENJOY being away from civilization -- the second thing I do after stopping for the night is get out my smart phone (the FIRST thing I do is apologize for doing so!)

I don't do it to commune with nature, although that IS a definite part of the thrill. Again, a wilderness cabin with day hikes could accomplish that.
Besides, I definitely enjoy 21st Century comforts -- if I could stay every night at a hikers lodge with mattresses, outlets, hot showers, and free wifi, I'd do so.

The conclusion that I've come to is that I simply enjoy "besting" Mother Nature at her "game": that I know there is a challenge out there, that I CAN WIN if I combine my strength, my smarts, my discipline, and my will.
When I end a hike, there is a definite rush when I realize that I DID IT!
It's the same rush I get when I solve a crossword puzzle or a Sudoko game.

I can only say this backpacking rush has gotten into my system, and I can't shake it.
If I gave up now, there are 100 other things I could do that are just as satisfying, and a LOT less costly to my time, body, and pocketbook. But I would STILL be thinking about getting back on The Trail.

slbirdnerd
12-15-2014, 13:18
As a new but committed (or should be committed) section hiker, hiking the trail is a long-term commitment. Interestingly, I tell people what I'm doing and they say, "That's cool," but never ask why. I take that to mean either they don't care, or, they know me and it just makes sense. I've always been into the outdoors, nature, camping, animals, am a Scout parent/leader, independent, adventurous, and not afraid hard work, being dirty or peeing in the woods... and I generally see things every day that other people wouldn't take the time to notice. I like that about backcountry hiking.

As to "why," I guess I'm glad they don't ask because I'm not sure, even as wordy as I am, that I can communicate it because it's something that runs very deep. Not just the outdoors, the adventure, but for me (and I'm a non-Christian/not really religious at all) it's a spiritual journey (think being in tune with Mother Earth, greater understanding). It's a place to go away from the "crazy" that our society has become, to unplug, see the good in the world, the good in people, make friends, see things most people would never even consider, challenge myself, accomplish something great, see what I"m made of, see the world...

BaxterBear
12-15-2014, 13:45
Hi Ron, I used the services you provide during my thru hike. I remember you!!

I hiked to get away from my career for awhile, investing is high stress with high risk/reward.
I came back a new man, refreshed and peaceful. I knew I could do it because I had all the time needed and more than enough funds to do it.

It was all on my back. I was most unsure physically but after enduring 3 weeks of adjustment I managed to adapt and it became enjoyable.

Deadeye
12-15-2014, 18:51
Not a dream, not a test. I like hiking.

juma
12-15-2014, 19:36
coffee outside at daybreak, a full day of exercise, a little polite conversation and a cold nite's sleep. no metaphysics needed.

Damn Yankee
12-15-2014, 19:48
Damn Yankee,
Perhaps our paths will cross next year and thank you for your service to our country!

That would be fun. Hope to catch you on the trail

dangerdave
12-15-2014, 21:06
Hi Ron, I used the services you provide during my thru hike. I remember you!!

I hiked to get away from my career for awhile, investing is high stress with high risk/reward.
I came back a new man, refreshed and peaceful. I knew I could do it because I had all the time needed and more than enough funds to do it.

It was all on my back. I was most unsure physically but after enduring 3 weeks of adjustment I managed to adapt and it became enjoyable.

This is encouraging, from one quinquagenarian to another. Thank you. After 28 years of stress (firefighter/paramedic), I'm looking forward to being away from the public. I don't foresee many nights in town. And I think my job has mentally prepared me well for this trek. While I'm in decent physical shape, stress on my body is my main concern. Once I got past the first few weeks, I figured I be fine. Thank you for confirming this.

Old Hiker
12-16-2014, 16:04
Both. Been dreaming about it for decades - tried in 2012 - 500 miles before slipping and getting injured. Trying again in 2016 to see if I can.

PLUS: get to meet neat people like yourself. Thanks for the shuttle service and helpful advice, plus the interesting history lessons about the local area.

Hope to see you again in 2016.

jdc5294
12-16-2014, 16:43
I did it for many reasons, some more important to me then others.

Because I could.
Because I love backpacking.
Because it wasn't something my family, friends, and the people I grew up around were into (this isn't a factor in me doing what I do anymore, don't know why it was in the first place).
Because the introverted side of me needed some recharging, I left early in the season so I was alone a lot (perfect).
Because of where my life was at the time, it was easy for me to disappear for 6 months.
Because I worked hard and had the money to spare.

That's just off the top of my head, but those were the big ones.

Bigfoot86
12-16-2014, 18:55
I'll see you in 2016 old hiker as i will be on the trail in April

Feral Bill
12-16-2014, 19:03
It's a dream. I've hiked on bits and pieces for decades, and want to see the whole thing. Also, it gets me out into nature for an extended time.

fluffkitten
12-16-2014, 19:21
Pure, unadulterated curiosity.

And walking/hiking through, around, over, under etc is and has been for over thirty years the best way to fulfil my curiosity about places. And walking is fun.

Ron Haven
12-17-2014, 12:08
The reason I ask this question is, Many people I believe does this for a dream. I have saw them be shattered early on. I have done a lot of things to prevent these things from happening. I don't see near as many shuttles needed for the Amtrac, bus stations, and airports in my area as I use to. I believe the keys to success is ask a million questions if you have to. Don't begin with a marathon race to start with just because your friend does. Bring just what you need, make sure you have the right shoes and gear. I know people who have did the trail in record time and I know a man that did 100 miles a year for 22 years. If I can ever answer a question for you, I will. PM me or e-mail me. I want to see to see you do it for what ever your reason is. See all of you up the trail I hope.

slbirdnerd
12-17-2014, 13:08
You are a true Angel of the Trail, Ron. Thank you for all you do! Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Feral Bill
12-17-2014, 13:17
The reason I ask this question is, Many people I believe does this for a dream. I have saw them be shattered early on. I have done a lot of things to prevent these things from happening. I don't see near as many shuttles needed for the Amtrac, bus stations, and airports in my area as I use to. I believe the keys to success is ask a million questions if you have to. Don't begin with a marathon race to start with just because your friend does. Bring just what you need, make sure you have the right shoes and gear. I know people who have did the trail in record time and I know a man that did 100 miles a year for 22 years. If I can ever answer a question for you, I will. PM me or e-mail me. I want to see to see you do it for what ever your reason is. See all of you up the trail I hope.

Thank you for all you do. I look forward to staying with you in Franklin in a couple of years.

Night Train
12-17-2014, 15:03
Because I can.

Old Hiker
12-17-2014, 15:38
I'll see you in 2016 old hiker as i will be on the trail in April

29 Feb 2016, amigo ! See you then !

Ron Haven
12-17-2014, 20:33
All of you have a nice holiday. We will play some music when all of you come back through..

T-Rx
12-17-2014, 21:25
All of you have a nice holiday. We will play some music when all of you come back through..

Again I thank you Ron for all the support you provide to hikers. I also look forward to sharing in the music with you. We will see you in a few months! Merry Christmas!

Carbo
12-17-2014, 22:12
My head has a hundred reasons why I should not do the AT. My heart tells me a different story.

Ron Haven
12-18-2014, 16:17
My head has a hundred reasons why I should not do the AT. My heart tells me a different story.I like this answer !!!!!!

stephanD
12-18-2014, 18:47
Is it a dream, or just to see if you can?

I'm in the midst of preparing for my 2015 thru. I'm doing it for the mental and physical challenge. to visit places i have never been to, and probably will never visit again. I'm doing it to meet people i would otherwise never meet.

Speakeasy TN
12-21-2014, 13:43
Hey Ron!
I've wanted to hike the Trail since I was a kid. I bought my first maps around '90. My wife gave me the go-ahead after meeting the people at the Bash in 2010 and I had to jump off in '11 due to a death in the family. Short answer is I can't help it! Unfinished business I suppose! See ya in April if not before. Merry Christmas!

polechar
12-21-2014, 15:50
Ahhh the trail, its been a little over a year since I've finished and not a day has gone by that I haven't thought about how great of an experience it was. My reason for hiking was my love for hiking, camping and the woods, my reason for doing it all at once was for the challenge. The problem now is that I want to do it again (if that's a problem).

12-22-2014, 12:28
To stop the world if for just a moment.

Grunt
12-22-2014, 18:57
First it's a dream; in the early 70's I read an article out of NatGeo about the Trail and that was something exciting; however, like so many career and family came first. We car camped in the mountains of VA and MD and occasionally came across the "blaze" and something stirred within. Retiring in 05 presented the opportunity and standing onto of Springer 06 for my first section hike was truly mystical. Ten years and 600 miles later the dream has faded but now it is the challenge and at age 62 the physical demand is very real. I have to say that I ALWAYS enjoy the souls I meet along the trail (even a few knuckleheads); most are younger and it gives me hope for humanity and the guys I meet my age are always fun to be around. The only way for me to really experience God's creation is to live and breath and eat and sleep and walk and walk and walk.

RangerZ
12-22-2014, 23:23
In 2017 I'll have 37+ years of federal service including 23 in uniform. It's already past time for a change. The overnights and long weekends that I've been doing show me that there are other better things to do than be in an office all day. We all know how still and quiet the woods can be. There is just too much of America that I haven't seen yet. Plus it will be a return to some of the challenges that I met in my now long departed youth.

ALLEGHENY
12-22-2014, 23:43
I needed it and I need some more.

YC 15
12-23-2014, 00:44
So many reasons, in short.. I'm at my best when on the trail

Pringles
12-23-2014, 09:14
I've been section hiking since 1986, and while I've put a dent in the 2180 miles, I'm still not terribly far. I ask myself that question a lot, especially when I'm driving to and from hikes, and when I'm at the bottom of a hill, looking up. While I have lots of little answers (I like hiking, I like nature, I like being out at dawn and dusk, I like the people I meet), I have figured that when I really answer the question "Why do I hike?", I probably won't need to any more. So I keep puttering along, thinking about it, and watching the birds and the snakes and meeting you all and putting just a few more miles on the record. I never have "nothin'" to do, I can always think about the trail.