PDA

View Full Version : SOBO // JULY START // Brit

jolham
12-15-2014, 08:58
Hello ladies and gentlemen , I'm looking to start the trail in July 2015. I am currently residing in London but will be flying over nearer the time to catch up with friends and acclimatise to the USAs fine food - (I will be bringing British chocolate with me however).
The idea of doing this alone is slightly daunting but not impractical as I have done various long distance hikes before. Is anyone else is planing to start the trail south bound around this time as it would be nice to start the long journey with someone else .

H

Jeff
12-15-2014, 10:52
You will meet other southbounders quickly....and July is an excellent time to start a SOBO.

jolham
12-15-2014, 21:54
Thanks Jeff , theres obviously a lot more focus on the northern hikers then the southern ones ! Ill keep my fingers crossed, everyone at home thinks I'm mental for doing this :)

Black Wolf
12-16-2014, 19:44
I'm going SOBO...but not until September..

Deadeye
12-16-2014, 23:03
everyone at home thinks I'm mental for doing this :)

So do we, but you're in good company.

srvand02
12-17-2014, 09:19
I'm sure you'll find somebody. Went SoBo in 2013 - ended up meeting my SoBo family of like 15 along the trail, not to mention all the funny NoBos you'll encounter Maine-Mass. Here's a vid of my trip, all the pictures you see with multiple people are pics of Southbounders. Miss these pieces of hiker trash!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ew4cq0tviq

srvand02
12-17-2014, 09:21
Whoops.... can't edit posts so here is the link instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eW4Cq0tviQ

Sodium
12-23-2014, 18:52
I'm another Brit planned on going SOBO next year :) Probably start early August, so I might catch you up!

Frank_the_cat
12-27-2014, 21:22
Hey! I'm planning SOBO starting in July. Have to go to a cousin's wedding the first weekend in July, then flying to Maine!

KokomoWes
12-28-2014, 01:06
I'm planning on starting in early July as well, after I graduate. I wouldn't say that I have much experience but I should have quite a few opportunities to hike this spring (I work for the outdoor pursuits program at my university).

Hope to see you in Maine!

Burd
01-12-2015, 23:13
Hey guys I plan on heading SOBO in july as well. What date is everyone thinking about exactly?

TomKarakowski
01-13-2015, 12:08
I went Sobo last Fall starting 7/9/14. Met plenty of folks. If you use the AT Lodge in Millinocket to get to Baxter, you'll end up starting the HMW with other aspiring Sobos. Not to mention all the quick Nobos and section hikers you'll encounter daily. You will not be alone, unless you want to be, until October.

pilotamis
01-16-2015, 19:20
I'm planning June 21st but may push it back to July 13. Hope to see you out there!!

OrangeHillbilly
02-09-2015, 13:25
Hey all July starting SOBOs! I'm also planning to start SOBO in July, probably around the 6th so as to be around family for the 4th. To you Brits, hope you have an awesome place to celebrate July 4th - it'll be a real cultural experience for you =).

This past fall I hiked all of Virginia. I was out for about 7 weeks total, so I am fairly experienced with backpacking and getting along on the trail. I did the first two weeks of my hike Solo, and even though I never felt at risk, I did get lonely. I like having solitude mixed with companionship and I always love having people around the shelter/camp at night. If any of you would like to partner up for the beginning, let's keep chatting about it. I came here specifically for looking for other July starts to partner up with!

OrangeHillbilly
02-09-2015, 13:26
July 6th or so for me!

saltysack
02-09-2015, 17:49
I went Sobo last Fall starting 7/9/14. Met plenty of folks. If you use the AT Lodge in Millinocket to get to Baxter, you'll end up starting the HMW with other aspiring Sobos. Not to mention all the quick Nobos and section hikers you'll encounter daily. You will not be alone, unless you want to be, until October.

Enjoyed your YouTube videos.....hope to do a sobo someday....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom V
02-27-2015, 09:52
I'm planning to start the 3rd week of July. It's good to see that others have similar plans! I'm sure we'll all bump into each other at some point!

Indy13
03-31-2015, 01:14
I leave July 1st southbound. See you out there

RiffRaffSam
04-07-2015, 20:52
Hey everyone,

I'm going to start my thru-hike on July 3rd, ascending Katahdin on that day. Since I am solo hiking, I am keen to team up with some people to go through the 100 Mile Wilderness (with all the snow we've had in New England those streams could be flowing deep and fast so I'd have more peace of mind if I didn't have to do the crossings alone) . That's one of the reasons I posted on this forum. Also, I am interested in car-pooling to Katahdin with someone as well. So if anybody is driving up from the Boston area and has room for another hiker, please get in touch with me (naturally, I'd help with gas money). Otherwise I'll take two buses to Millinocket or Medway spend the night, then head into Baxter State Park on the July 2nd. I've reserved a lean-to at Katahdin Stream Campground so I have room at my site as well if you didn't reserve one or weren't able to. So if you'd like to join up whether traveling to Baxter State Park and/or going through the 100 Wilderness together, let me know. For the rest of you, I hope preparation is going well and I look forward to seeing you on the trail!

sdisser
05-07-2015, 10:11
We, Bud (NOBO'13) and Grits, have officially decided to start a SOBO'15 thru hike around the first week of July! We are looking forward to meeting our trail family!

snowpiercer
05-10-2015, 23:38
I'm starting 1st week of July!

gcobb1990
05-19-2015, 11:48
I'm going SOBO...but not until September..

Dang man. Respect. I left Aug 21 a few years ago and dealt with snow and ice the whole way. Can't imagine leaving any later but if winter's your thing, you'll have a great time! Best of luck to you!

chiefduffy
05-20-2015, 04:27
RiffRaffSam and other SoBo's, please call me at the AT Lodge in Millinocket - I can help with getting you to the trail, food drops in the 100 mile wilderness, last minute gear needs, etc.

namaste7
05-23-2015, 21:28
I'm planning to start the 3rd week of July. It's good to see that others have similar plans! I'm sure we'll all bump into each other at some point!

Maybe I'll see you out there Tom V. I'm planning on starting the 3rd week of July too.

ighwoman
05-26-2015, 11:21
I am a 68 year old female hiker, and I will be summitting Katahdin on 01Jul, and starting my SoBo 02Jul. Perhaps I will see you out there.
TicTac

Taylor
05-26-2015, 19:07
Hi All,

I am planning on beginning in July as well, most likely mid month. I do not feel confident/ comfortable enough to begin my SOBO hike solo through the 100 miles due to all I've read warning how difficult it is to start in the North. I'd either like to hike with someone through most of the Maine portion, or am alternatively thinking of starting in northern VA and hiking north and then flip-flopping to finish. Any advice or recommendations are welcome!
Thanks and good luck to all!

namaste7
05-26-2015, 19:25
Hi All,

I am planning on beginning in July as well, most likely mid month. I do not feel confident/ comfortable enough to begin my SOBO hike solo through the 100 miles due to all I've read warning how difficult it is to start in the North. I'd either like to hike with someone through most of the Maine portion, or am alternatively thinking of starting in northern VA and hiking north and then flip-flopping to finish. Any advice or recommendations are welcome!
Thanks and good luck to all!

Taylor,
I'm hiking Katahdin on 16July and starting the 100 mile wilderness on the 17th. I am also apprehensive about the 100 mile wilderness. If you are leaving approx the same time, I would be happy to hike the 100 miles with you.

Taylor
05-26-2015, 22:10
Taylor,
I'm hiking Katahdin on 16July and starting the 100 mile wilderness on the 17th. I am also apprehensive about the 100 mile wilderness. If you are leaving approx the same time, I would be happy to hike the 100 miles with you.

Hi Namaste,
I like the idea of Floridians sticking together! I was hoping to start a little earlier around the 10th or so but am open to talking about it more! I am still in the research phase and trying to buy all of my equipment. While I consider myself physically fit and have some long distance hiking experience, I'll admit I don't know the first thing about tying my food up in a tree...
I'd love to talk further about your plans, equipment and packing list etc. I can PM you my number. I'm not sure how much you've already acquired but I am going to plan a day trip to the REI store in Jacksonville either next week or late in June when I get back from a trip.
Thanks and hope to talk soon!

saltysack
05-27-2015, 06:13
Hi Namaste,
I like the idea of Floridians sticking together! I was hoping to start a little earlier around the 10th or so but am open to talking about it more! I am still in the research phase and trying to buy all of my equipment. While I consider myself physically fit and have some long distance hiking experience, I'll admit I don't know the first thing about tying my food up in a tree...
I'd love to talk further about your plans, equipment and packing list etc. I can PM you my number. I'm not sure how much you've already acquired but I am going to plan a day trip to the REI store in Jacksonville either next week or late in June when I get back from a trip.
Thanks and hope to talk soon!

If your driving all the way to Jax....go to black creek outfitters down the street from rei...much more knowledgeable staff...they are directly across street from Costco behind bono's bbq....good place to eat also...I love rei but most bco staff actually use the gear they sell...check out both stores....

Taylor
05-27-2015, 09:50
Thank you for the tip Salty, I definitely will stop in! I'm wondering if I can't find reputable sources closer to where I am. We have a Bill Jackson's but prices are crazy, there's also a large Bass Pro not too far but the staff knowledge base is very different. However, I know getting the right gear is essential so I don't mind making a day trip to consult with people who really know what they are talking about. Thanks again for sharing.

saltysack
05-27-2015, 16:25
Thank you for the tip Salty, I definitely will stop in! I'm wondering if I can't find reputable sources closer to where I am. We have a Bill Jackson's but prices are crazy, there's also a large Bass Pro not too far but the staff knowledge base is very different. However, I know getting the right gear is essential so I don't mind making a day trip to consult with people who really know what they are talking about. Thanks again for sharing.

I would highly rec going to an outfitter that mainly deals with hikers.....I would also consider heading up to mountain crossings in Ga or outdoor 76..you could buy and try immediately ...these folks know the AT as many are past thru hikers...don't go to bass pro as they will sell u heavy crap u don't need! Less is better. Knowing what I know now I would get most of my gear offline mainly from cottage gear companies..esp the big 4...just my $ .02.
Just to name a few that come to mind..

Pack companies
Ula has an amazing support and products.
Zpacks
Gossamer gear

Shelter
Lightheart gear
Zpacks
Mld
Many more.....

Bag/quilt
Western mountaineering
JRB quilts
Enlightened equipment

Sleep pad
Neoair is tough to beat for wt and comfort.

Taylor
05-27-2015, 18:17
Ah THANK YOU! I've been compiling a gear list from everything from clothing, to stoves, to footwear and everything in between. It has been a daunting task but exciting. I very much appreciate your input and brand guide. I actually found an outdoor store in Tampa that is smaller but seems to be very good, and one of their sales associates has hiked the AT so I am going to touch base with her as well.

Thanks again, you rock!

Taylor
05-27-2015, 18:19
I'm starting 1st week of July!

Do you have a definitive start date yet? I also want to begin early July but haven't finalized dates yet.

SaltyBiscuit
06-05-2015, 23:36
July 1 for me! lets go SOBO's!!!

alegria7
06-08-2015, 17:00
Hello! I'm also planning on Starting early July! Do you have a start date? I'm hoping for a buddy for at least three 100 mile wilderness/maybe to summit Katahdin with. I've done some of the southern part of the trail already this year, but life made a NOBO hike for me impossible, so I'm going to flip. Looking for people to hike with! Super glad that other people are starting around the same time =] Feel free to private message!

-Marietta

bemental
06-08-2015, 17:14
Hello! I'm also planning on Starting early July! Do you have a start date? I'm hoping for a buddy for at least three 100 mile wilderness/maybe to summit Katahdin with. I've done some of the southern part of the trail already this year, but life made a NOBO hike for me impossible, so I'm going to flip. Looking for people to hike with! Super glad that other people are starting around the same time =] Feel free to private message!

-Marietta

Wow, identical situation for me, identical follow up plan.

Starting my SOBO early July. I live in Bangor, ME if that helps with your planning and interest in hiking together for the first bit of the trail!

TrailName.FyreIsBorn
06-12-2015, 22:54
Hey guys! Wow, looks like everybody's got their own individual method of proceeding, and I guess that makes the most sense as we all have different levels of abilities/time frames/preferences.

Speaking of Florida, I'll be heading out to the mid-way point at Harpers Ferry on July 1 and leaving there the 5th for Springer. From there, I'll be heading southeast to Pensacola and continuing on the Florida Trail down to the Everglades! Hoo-yah! Hahaha. Anyway, looking for a hiking partner to at the least start off with from WV on the 5th, so if anyone is interested, hit me up at vtruebelieverv at yahoo, and we'll chat about it!

Happy Motorin' ya'll!

Fyre

alegria7
06-16-2015, 15:53
Wow, identical situation for me, identical follow up plan.

Starting my SOBO early July. I live in Bangor, ME if that helps with your planning and interest in hiking together for the first bit of the trail!

So sorry! I just saw this! Unfortunately the prognosis for my obnoxious knee is a month of strength training. Which lands me starting back up in mid July. I'm not super happy about that, but there's only so much I can do =( I'm hoping there will still be people starting then! Extra stressed now.

chiefduffy
06-16-2015, 16:48
There will be people starting then.

Taylor
06-17-2015, 18:55
I've finalized dates and will be summiting Katahdin on July 2nd and heading south on the 3rd. Hope to see people out there!

Walkie-Talkie2015
06-20-2015, 08:55
Hi Jolham, I'm a fellow Brit should be flying out around the 6th July for an immediate start Southbound. Gonna be moving fast but shouid be able to catch up for a few days. Walkie-Talkie (PCT class of 2013).

Hoofit
06-20-2015, 11:23
Hello ladies and gentlemen , I'm looking to start the trail in July 2015. I am currently residing in London but will be flying over nearer the time to catch up with friends and acclimatise to the USAs fine food - (I will be bringing British chocolate with me however).
The idea of doing this alone is slightly daunting but not impractical as I have done various long distance hikes before. Is anyone else is planing to start the trail south bound around this time as it would be nice to start the long journey with someone else .

H
Hi fellow Brit(transplanted Floridian here)..
chocolate is good but what about the Marmite? In a plastic jar to save weight.
Also, don't forget the tea, Yankee tee sucks!
And of course a ill' Colmans is always welcome....though a luxury item.

Kcrossy
06-26-2015, 04:13
I'm thinking of starting SOBO from mid-late July! Probably the 19th or thereabouts - anxious about the 100 mile wilderness but it seems like there's going to be a few others about which is reassuring!

Water Rat
06-26-2015, 09:40
I'm thinking of starting SOBO from mid-late July! Probably the 19th or thereabouts - anxious about the 100 mile wilderness but it seems like there's going to be a few others about which is reassuring!

There is no need to be anxious about the 100 Mile Wilderness. It is gorgeous and an amazing section of trail! As long as you take your time and listen to your body (seriously - stop when your body tells you to stop. You are just starting your journey and have a long way to go!) and use common sense and you will be fine. You will come across plenty of people (thru hikers, section hikers) during those 100 miles. The trail is clearly defined.

Have a wonderful hike! Be sure to look around you and take in the sights! :) Oh, and :welcome to White Blaze!

Kcrossy
06-26-2015, 11:08
Thank you so much! :) I'm definitely feeling a lot of excitement too!!

Taylor
06-27-2015, 11:48
There is no need to be anxious about the 100 Mile Wilderness. It is gorgeous and an amazing section of trail! As long as you take your time and listen to your body (seriously - stop when your body tells you to stop. You are just starting your journey and have a long way to go!) and use common sense and you will be fine. You will come across plenty of people (thru hikers, section hikers) during those 100 miles. The trail is clearly defined.

Have a wonderful hike! Be sure to look around you and take in the sights! :) Oh, and :welcome to White Blaze!

Love this. Helped calm my anxiousness a bit too!

twopics
07-07-2015, 11:48
Starting my Sobo on July 24th, anyone else starting then?

Water Rat
07-07-2015, 11:58
Thank you so much! :) I'm definitely feeling a lot of excitement too!!

Awesome! It's a gorgeous stretch of trail! Anything can seem daunting when you look at the whole, big picture. Sometimes it helps to look at a smaller piece of the puzzle. :) Can the 100 Mile Wilderness be difficult? Absolutely! But, so can trying to cross a busy road during rush hour. :D It is all about the perspective you choose. Set the smaller goals for yourself and they will add up! Or, if it helps... When the trail gets tough, just think to yourself, "I could be stuck in an office/classroom right now." ;)

Just be sure to bring the Deet and the head net and life will be good.