PDA

View Full Version : SOBO Thru-Hike Partner Needed

Daniel Dearden
12-15-2014, 11:35
Hey guys! This is my first time posting here but you'll probably be seeing more of me over these next few months. I was curious if anyone a) Didn't have a SOBO partner and was looking for one or b) Already has a group that would consider letting me join them. I was originally going to hike solo but a few things have caused me to change my mind. 1) My vision is pretty bad. I'm legally blind when I don't have my contacts in and barely above legal blindness when I have my contacts in. Now this shouldn't be a huge issue on the trail itself. I'm in good shape and can most likely handle myself when it comes to the physical demands of the trail, but my main concerns are not being able to see the white blazes, crossing streets in towns, not being able to see snakes until I'm already on top of them, etc. 2) This is somewhat of a compromise between my parents and I. I love my folks and I want them to feel at least somewhat at ease about me going on this journey. They would feel considerably more comfortable if I was going with someone. My first year of college ends on May 16th so I can leave for the trail anytime after that. I'm pretty flexible on what time I have to be back but I'd like to be home in time for Christmas. However, if it comes down to it I could continue hiking past that date if needed. Please give this some thought if you're thinking of doing a SOBO hike this year. I've been planning this since my junior year of high school and I think about it every day. I don't think I can wait another year haha. If you consider taking me on as a partner, I'd be grateful.

sobo scotian
01-27-2015, 15:17
I'm hoping to be at Baxter State Park at the end of May. Have you had any luck finding a partner?

Daniel Dearden
01-28-2015, 12:26
No luck yet. I"m hoping to get there around the same time. (Or the first week of June but I'd prefer the last week of May if I can make it happen) Interested in pairing up?

sobo scotian
02-04-2015, 20:35
Definitely. I still don't have enough money saved up for a thru-hike, so I'll have to see how the next 3 months go.

dawnthan
02-22-2015, 11:08
'ello! My friend and I are in the same boat in regards to school ending in May. I actually graduate May 16th :D Anywho, if you happen to be at Kaytadyn the same time we are (and you're not a serial killer) you're welcome to join! We'll probably be at different paces, but even having a group to see occasionally is a lot safer than being there alone. There's also two other people I know are leaving SOBO around that time.

You can check out this thread (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/102427-2015-Thru-Hike-Registry) to see who else is going the same time you are. You're welcome to PM me if you'd like.

mrp
03-15-2015, 11:43
I am starting my SOBO thru hike sometime late June. Not sure how flexible your schedule is but ill be up in Maine by then. maybe we will run in to each other! Good luck!

skinback
03-25-2015, 00:44
hey guys! my friend and I are planning to start sobo anytime around mid june but we are pretty flexible. ill be graduating college early may and want to get a month of work in for some extra cash and such! were all about linking up with some other southbounders!

Lauriep
03-25-2015, 07:41
Daniel,

Sounds like you've been dreaming of a southbound thru-hike for a while, and I understand you're probably wedded to that. Just the same, I'll mention flip-flopping starting mid-trail northbound is another option.

If you haven't seen ATC's When and Where To Start page at www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start), check it out. You can also may be able to start your thru-hike earlier if you start mid-Trail, as Baxter State Park usually doesn't open until mid-late May, occasionally not until June: www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/109658-Please-don-t-plan-on-a-May-15th-start-date!?highlight= (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/109658-Please-don-t-plan-on-a-May-15th-start-date!?highlight=). There was one year in the '90s it didn't open until June 15.

You can get a good idea of when other sobos (and flip-floppers) are starting by looking at the on ATC's voluntary thru-hike registration day-by-day charts at www.appalachiantrail.org/thruhikeregistration (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/thruhikeregistration).

This is just a guess, but the numbers for nobos represent something less than half; the number of flip-floppers probably 75% or more, but the number of sobos registered may be only a third (and part of that is because starting dates are so far off).

Laurie P.
ATC