PDA

View Full Version : Need some input on my cookbook

sarbar
10-24-2005, 12:13
Hey everyone...
Well I am very close to having my cookbook done (all based of course on freezerbag style).
Now my dilemma!
My boyfriend has been pushing me towards doing a real book style (in other words bound) but I have also been considering doing a cheaper booklet style (think staples in the middle).
What would people think of either style? Obvisouly the booklet would much cheaper to do, hence cheaper for the consumer. But it wouldn't be as nice looking...
Any feedback would be apprecciated!

Turtle2
10-24-2005, 12:44
Are you having this bound or are you putting it together yourself? What about having the "comb" style backing llike the church coolkbooks have. If you are doing this yourself, the
"Combs" and the machine that punches and allows for assembly and sells for less than $60. Looking forward to your cookbook! By the way, Hate the staple thing. Won't lie flat to follow the recipe

sarbar
10-24-2005, 12:59
Are you having this bound or are you putting it together yourself? What about having the "comb" style backing llike the church coolkbooks have. If you are doing this yourself, the
"Combs" and the machine that punches and allows for assembly and sells for less than $60. Looking forward to your cookbook! By the way, Hate the staple thing. Won't lie flat to follow the recipeIf I do a book style, it will be done by a company..didn't realize you can get the comb kit! I'll look into that....I like cook books that style :) Because, yes, they lie flat!
PS: Hoping to have it out before X-Mas.

Spartan Hiker
10-24-2005, 13:02
"Combs" and the machine that punches and allows for assembly and sells for less than $60. Looking forward to your cookbook! By the way, Hate the staple thing. Won't lie flat to follow the recipeAgree with the comb binder option. A relatively cheap, neat, lay flat method that also allows for inserting any updates (provided your customers have access to a machine to open the comb).

Newb
10-24-2005, 13:14
Hey everyone...
Well I am very close to having my cookbook done (all based of course on freezerbag style).
Now my dilemma!
My boyfriend has been pushing me towards doing a real book style (in other words bound) but I have also been considering doing a cheaper booklet style (think staples in the middle).
What would people think of either style? Obvisouly the booklet would much cheaper to do, hence cheaper for the consumer. But it wouldn't be as nice looking...
Go to http://www.lulu.com and self publish it with style. You can even get an ISBN number and get the book listed on Amazon. If that's a bit overboard for you then you can set up an account at http://www.cafepress.com and get the book produced in very nice bindings.

jlb2012
10-24-2005, 13:20
I took a look at Cafepress and it appears that they do support wirebound books which are IMO better for cook books than the comb bound books.

gumby
10-24-2005, 13:46
Hey everyone...
Now my dilemma!
Along with the other suggestions have you thought of an electronic book. You can password protect it so just the person that buys it can open it. If you use iSilo it supports both palm and pocket pc Operating systems.

If you couldn't figure it out I don't go anymhere without my palm pilot.

Clark Fork
10-24-2005, 17:18
Go to http://www.lulu.com (http://www.lulu.com/) and self publish it with style. You can even get an ISBN number and get the book listed on Amazon. If that's a bit overboard for you then you can set up an account at http://www.cafepress.com (http://www.cafepress.com/) and get the book produced in very nice bindings.Sarbar.. the Grand Poohbar of Freezer Bag Cooking....

I really concur: I think this book fills a huge void. I really think you should be up and selling it on Amazon. Also give some thought to a top binder. The cook book could then stand up rather than lie flat as it does with a left binder. One thing to consider is a pocket on the flyleaf that can accept supplements. I think you will find that you will receive a lot of suggestions and you can produce a downloadable supplement that can be tucked into the book jacket pocket. I think you will find you will want to republish every two or three years.

I also think you should query the freezer bag companies and include a coupon page at their expense. Maybe you could even include a sample bag kit. They may pay to be in the book as a sponsor. You should solicit the stove companies and outfits like anti-gravity to be sponsors.

I think you will be surprised how well this book will sell. This book fits so well into the "just boil water" use of the alcohol stove. I really think your timing is great.....

Side note: Have you had any luck using Wyler's Soup Starter? I am trying to get the proportions right for breaking down their 5.93 oz package that calls for 8 cups of water. Thanks.

Good luck with the book. Not to put pressure on you but it is on my Christmas wish list....

One other suggestion. I have a website and I sell subscriptions. I use the merchant tools of PayPal. They are easy to set up and make clearing the money easy. I recommend sales using the PayPal merchant tools if you are going to sell it over the Internet. Also give some thought to an easy to remember website name. This book will be a great word of mouth item so make your website easy remember and therefore easy to find.

Good Luck.

Regards,

Clark Fork in Western Montana "Where seldom is heard a discouraging word."

sarbar
10-24-2005, 19:00
Sarbar.. the Grand Poohbar of Freezer Bag Cooking....

I really concur: I think this book fills a huge void. I really think you should be up and selling it on Amazon. Also give some thought to a top binder. The cook book could then stand up rather than lie flat as it does with a left binder. One thing to consider is a pocket on the flyleaf that can accept supplements. I think you will find that you will receive a lot of suggestions and you can produce a downloadable supplement that can be tucked into the book jacket pocket. I think you will find you will want to republish every two or three years.

I also think you should query the freezer bag companies and include a coupon page at their expense. Maybe you could even include a sample bag kit. They may pay to be in the book as a sponsor. You should solicit the stove companies and outfits like anti-gravity to be sponsors.

I think you will be surprised how well this book will sell. This book fits so well into the "just boil water" use of the alcohol stove. I really think your timing is great.....

Side note: Have you had any luck using Wyler's Soup Starter? I am trying to get the proportions right for breaking down their 5.93 oz package that calls for 8 cups of water. Thanks.

Good luck with the book. Not to put pressure on you but it is on my Christmas wish list....

One other suggestion. I have a website and I sell subscriptions. I use the merchant tools of PayPal. They are easy to set up and make clearing the money easy. I recommend sales using the PayPal merchant tools if you are going to sell it over the Internet. Also give some thought to an easy to remember website name. This book will be a great word of mouth item so make your website easy remember and therefore easy to find.

Good Luck.

Regards,

Clark Fork in Western Montana "Where seldom is heard a discouraging word."
I do use Paypal quite often-and will set up a page on my website to sell the book :) And yes, Amazon is definitely up there...I sell there often also.
It is scary how many recipes I have come up with...I spent this past year just seeing how many I could do-2/3 rds of them will be new, not on my website :)

gsingjane
10-24-2005, 20:40
The old old ancient La Leche League family cookbook is in the "spiral bound" style and I have to tell you, I use that one more than any other book. It may not be nearly as good as some of my others, but it's so much more convenient to use that I find myself reaching for it all the time. I totally concur that an easy-to-use style binding (another thought is the "binder" style - like the old Better Homes & Gardens recipe collectors used to be) is the way to go.

Have you ever thought of making and selling your pot cozies as an adjunct to the book?

Jane in CT (still wearing that skort!)

CynJ
10-24-2005, 22:22
I like both the comb style and the binder style - I HATE cookbooks that don't lie flat.

sarbar
10-24-2005, 22:54
The old old ancient La Leche League family cookbook is in the "spiral bound" style and I have to tell you, I use that one more than any other book. It may not be nearly as good as some of my others, but it's so much more convenient to use that I find myself reaching for it all the time. I totally concur that an easy-to-use style binding (another thought is the "binder" style - like the old Better Homes & Gardens recipe collectors used to be) is the way to go.

Have you ever thought of making and selling your pot cozies as an adjunct to the book?

Jane in CT (still wearing that skort!)Lol! Glad you love the skort :D
Btw..I have recently come across a nice supply of cozy materials ..woo-hoo!

Trooper347
10-25-2005, 11:13
Sarbar, I wish you the best of luck on your Cookbook. I have been researching alot for easy meal ideas other than just plain Ramen and Liptons, and the recipes you have on your site are the most appetizing I have seen yet. This type of cooking may make it easier for me to buy in bulk, prep meals (pre-mixed, marked bags) for mail drops, and enjoy a good meal more often on the trail. Thank you !

rickb
10-25-2005, 11:25
FWIW:

If you do want info on custom looseleaf binders, please feel free to send me a PM through Whiteblaze (not an e-mail, I don't check the linked account). Custom binders are the one area where I really am an expert :) .

Here is a link to one very good company: http://www.bclucasbinders.com/ In addition to traditional binders, they can also offer "split back easel binders", which are popular for cookbooks, and index tabs.

With regard to other bindings, you probably want to check into "Plasticoil". Its gained a lot of polularity over GBC (comb) and Wiro in the past few years. Its inexpensive and available at many copy shops and repro houses.

Copy shops do a good job printing the guts of a book anymore, as well as binding them up, but you might also turn to a company like the one I linked for index tabs or a special cover for a Plasticoil (or similar) bound book. Its what they do.

Rick B

sarbar
10-25-2005, 16:13
FWIW:

If you do want info on custom looseleaf binders, please feel free to send me a PM through Whiteblaze (not an e-mail, I don't check the linked account). Custom binders are the one area where I really am an expert :) .

Here is a link to one very good company: http://www.bclucasbinders.com/ In addition to traditional binders, they can also offer "split back easel binders", which are popular for cookbooks, and index tabs.

With regard to other bindings, you probably want to check into "Plasticoil". Its gained a lot of polularity over GBC (comb) and Wiro in the past few years. Its inexpensive and available at many copy shops and repro houses.

Copy shops do a good job printing the guts of a book anymore, as well as binding them up, but you might also turn to a company like the one I linked for index tabs or a special cover for a Plasticoil (or similar) bound book. Its what they do.

Rick BThank you! I will look into that :) I appriecate all the help every one has offered me-it means a lot!