PDA

View Full Version : A Walk In The Woods Premier at The Sundance Film Festival!!!

Treehugger
12-16-2014, 16:59
Brace yourselves cuz ITS HAPPENING January 2015!!
A Walk in the Woods / U.S.A. (Director: Ken Kwapis, Screenwriters: Rick Kerb, Bill Holderman) — An aging travel writer sets out to hike the 2,100-mile Appalachian Trail with a long-estranged high school buddy. Along the way, the duo face off with each other, nature, and an eccentric assortment of characters. Together, they learn that some roads are better left untraveled. Cast: Robert Redford, Nick Nolte, Emma Thompson, Mary Steenburgen, Nick Offerman, Kristen Schaal. World Premiere. SALT LAKE CITY GALA FILM
http://www.sundance.org/festivals/sundance-film-festival

HogFan
12-16-2014, 17:20
This will be good.

rocketsocks
12-16-2014, 17:22
Yep, this one I'll go see, should be funny.

Traveler
12-16-2014, 17:53
Yep, this one I'll go see, should be funny.

I'll be curious how this translates from book to screen.

double d
12-16-2014, 18:01
Should be a very interesting to see the film, I only liked the book to some degree (especially the first part, didn't like the second part of the book, but guess what? Who cares what my opinion is on the book). Some good actors, although much older then the main characters were when Bryson wrote the book.

Connie
12-16-2014, 18:19
The release date is August, 2015.

The link does have scheduled shows, in Utah, in January, 2015.

BaxterBear
12-16-2014, 23:17
http://www.sltrib.com/home/1950942-158/2015-sundance-film-festival-late-additions?pid=2061199

Presenting Bill Bryson and Stephen Katz:

http://d1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net/6e/25/b8a348e848c1ac5e333ac465e237/walk-in-the-woods.jpeg

ATC, get those new permits and regulations in place now because this movie is going to break the AT in 2016. We will lose the northern terminus to what this movie will bring to the Rangers at Baxter.

rickb
12-17-2014, 00:00
As great as Katahdin is, I am thinking an even better terminus would be in a a new National Park next door. It would be cool for both.

I am looking forward to movie, and hope that it does bring people to Trail. No matter what happens, it will endure. The ecosystem is resilient and those who are lucky enough to find it will reap great benefits.

Having enjoyed scores of hikes up Mount Monadnock (NH, not on the AT and climbed by 125,000 people a year), stayed in a 90-bunk hut on the AT, and enjoyed solitude in Baxter I have to say it's all good.

No matter what.

jj2044
12-17-2014, 00:15
The release date is August, 2015.

Its showing at Sundance film festival.... http://deadline.com/2014/12/robert-redford-sundance-gala-premiere-kids-wild-2015-1201325564/

BaxterBear
12-17-2014, 06:42
29182Robert Redford as Bill Bryson, Nick Nolte as Stephen Katz ( Matthew Angerer )

Hikemor
12-17-2014, 09:24
I enjoyed AWITW, the book. I think it was particularly funny and provoking as I had already hiked the AT. I'm not sure I would have enjoyed or understood it so much if I had never spent significant time on the trail. Since the beginning of the rumors about AWITW, the movie, I have questioned the ability to translate the book, and the AT experience, to film. Guess we will see.

I was disappointed in "The Way". It was well done in a Hollywood road-trip manner but was sort of empty as far as the Camino's effect on the characters or as a spiritual pilgrimage. I have only read about the Camino but would like to walk it one day.

Sly
12-17-2014, 12:31

Yes, those are for the Sundance Film Festival

BirdShooter
12-17-2014, 15:33
I was an extra in two scenes in the film - one at Rainbow Springs, N.C. and the second in the 100 Mile Wilderness in Maine. Both scenes were very funny (and shot around Atlanta, Georgia). Nolte is great as Katz, and the production company did make an effort to include actual A.T. thru-hikers and section-hikers in the movie.

But I agree - the film will definitely impact the A.T. in 2016 and beyond. Hopefully the increased awareness will bring additional funding to the ATC.

Thinspace
12-18-2014, 13:43
If you're a fly fisher and have been one long enough you are certainly aware of the impact that "a River Runs Through It" had on the sport. (also known as "That Damn Movie" my most cantankerous old fly fishers). In a short time once uncrowded fisheries became over congested, the quality of many fisheries declined, "secret" locations were no longer secret, and on and on. I hope this movie and Wild don't have the same effect but I fear they will, not just on the AT and PCT but the backcountry in general. But one can hope.

BaxterBear
12-18-2014, 13:50
I am trying to see if I can attend the showing of A Walk in the Woods, but the only option I see on the Sundance site is a $3,000 "Festival ticket". I want to see the movie, but not that badly. I will wait for general release.

swisscross
12-18-2014, 14:08
Robert Redford and Nick Nolte, really.
Sure they are fine actors but they carry too much of a past for me to get excited about the movie.
Would love to see some new names as the head liners.

Guess that is the only way to get the masses excited about a topic that only a few are truly interested.

BaxterBear
12-18-2014, 14:40
This movie release is really bad timing with all of the issues the trail is already facing. I am "calling" for a historic and massive spike in thru-hikers in 2016. They are supposedly re-issuing the book as well with a new chapter from Bryson to cash in on the movie.

Connie
12-18-2014, 14:49
I read part of the book.

I would like to see the movie.

It may not be a big "box office" movie. Robert Redford had a movie, featuring solo sailing, I wanted to see.

It never reached a movie theator near me.

BirdShooter
12-18-2014, 20:12
Redford optioned the rights to the book Walk In The Woods a while back, so no surprise he's the lead in it.

Chair-man
12-18-2014, 20:24
There's been a lot of talk lately about the increase in the number of hikers that will result from the recent movie releases. I bet there are more than a few folks that who have decided that hiking is not for them after reading about the hiker who was killed by a bear this last September. (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-jersey-hiker-took-photos-of-bear-before-it-killed-him/) One more incident like the one in NJ and the numbers will be going down.

rickb
12-18-2014, 20:31
I was an extra in two scenes in the film - one at Rainbow Springs, N.C. and the second in the 100 Mile Wilderness in Maine. Both scenes were very funny (and shot around Atlanta, Georgia). Nolte is great as Katz, and the production company did make an effort to include actual A.T. thru-hikers and section-hikers in the movie.

But I agree - the film will definitely impact the A.T. in 2016 and beyond. Hopefully the increased awareness will bring additional funding to the ATC.

I hope you make the cut!

What was he experience like?

Did they change your look much or accept you the way arrived for the shoot?

ALLEGHENY
12-18-2014, 20:37
There's been a lot of talk lately about the increase in the number of hikers that will result from the recent movie releases. I bet there are more than a few folks that who have decided that hiking is not for them after reading about the hiker who was killed by a bear this last September. (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-jersey-hiker-took-photos-of-bear-before-it-killed-him/) One more incident like the one in NJ and the numbers will be going down.

I was thinking the same. What happened to all the bear reports? Should be some good lightly used gear coming on the market too after many drop out.

rocketsocks
12-18-2014, 20:46
Call it a hunch, but the people that are worried about bear attacks were never gonna hike anyway.

TJ aka Teej
12-18-2014, 21:36
Katz has more AT miles than Bryson. And Katz was fictional.

Kc Fiedler
12-18-2014, 23:55
If anybody is coming in to Park City for the Sundance showing, let me know. I've got a couch I'll share.

colorado_rob
12-19-2014, 10:57
Robert Redford and Nick Nolte, really.
Sure they are fine actors but they carry too much of a past for me to get excited about the movie.
Would love to see some new names as the head liners...I don't disagree, but recently we saw a movie with both of these "classics" (RR is nearly 80, NN is 73), "The Company you Keep" and ya know, Redford and Nolte still pull it off quite well. But really, Bryson is in his early 60's, quite a difference. All being said, I cannot wait to see this one! Emma Thompson, Mary Steenburgen, good cast. Great book.

Sly
12-19-2014, 11:40
Lame objections.

When reading the book unless Bryson mentions it, you don't know how old he is. Besides, I hiked with a guy on the CDT that was in his 70's and he could out hike just about anyone on this website.

colorado_rob
12-19-2014, 11:44
Lame objections.

When reading the book unless Bryson mentions it, you don't know how old he is. Besides, I hiked with a guy on the CDT that was in his 70's and he could out hike just about anyone on this website.I wasn't slamming old farts, I am one myself, just the character in the book seems way younger than Redford (Bryson was in his 40's), but again, Redford still pulls off his parts quite well despite being near 80.

Sly
12-19-2014, 11:50
I wasn't slamming old farts, I am one myself, just the character in the book seems way younger than Redford (Bryson was in his 40's), but again, Redford still pulls off his parts quite well despite being near 80.

I'm getting old myself but Redford and Nolte look younger in the screenshots. Age doesn't play a role in hiking experience, so for this movie I just don't think casting or age is as important as good acting.

Tipi Walter
12-19-2014, 11:54
This is the only Redford movie that matters---

http://www.stevenpressfield.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/jeremiah-johnson-1972-02-g.jpg

Mags
12-19-2014, 12:23
Actually this Redford movie that came out last year is quite good. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2017038/) Has been getting a slow, word of mouth, build up.

Not about hiking, but surviving in the wild..more specifically the ocean. Hardly any dialogue. Think some of you may like it.

It is avail for streaming on Netflix.

colorado_rob
12-19-2014, 12:29
[/IMG]There sure are some great old ones. My personal favorite though is still Butch & Sundance, after which I assume the festival/area is named? Then there's The Sting.... Sneakers. On the flip side, yikes, there's The Way We Were. Still haven't gotten over seeing that one (for wife, of course).

Tipi Walter
12-19-2014, 12:33
Actually this Redford movie that came out last year is quite good. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2017038/) Has been getting a slow, word of mouth, build up.

Not about hiking, but surviving in the wild..more specifically the ocean. Hardly any dialogue. Think some of you may like it.

It's called All Is Lost and I saw it recently and did some further research on the pic---

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/oscars/2013/10/all-is-lost-review-sailors

Mags
12-19-2014, 12:35
And who can forget a "River Runs Through It"? He is not acting in it of course (well except for the narration)..but definitely a film that has Redford's "voice" all over it.

Mags
12-19-2014, 12:37
It's called All Is Lost and I saw it recently and did some further research on the pic---

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/oscars/2013/10/all-is-lost-review-sailors

Sorry, but this reminds Star Trek nerds picking apart a new Star Trek movie.

I'm sure if Roman legions watched "Julius Caesar" on stage (and had a magical translation device) they would pick that apart that too.

Just watch the movie and enjoy or not. :)

Odd Man Out
12-19-2014, 13:22
Of course if you are not too keen on having the movie distributed nationwide, I know a particular country that can arrange to have it canned ;)

Connie
12-19-2014, 13:38
Hey! Thank you, Mags.

That is the solo sailing movie I wanted to see, that did not get to a movie theator near me.

I have Netflix.

I am glad the two lead actors in this Bryson movie are in their "seniority".

I did not read the entire book. I don't know if Bill Bryson ever got into lightweight backpacking.

I don't know if the movie will show anyone lightweight backpacking.

There are so many backpackers, that are "senior citizens" by now.

I think many, if not nearly all, "seniors" think they cannot backpack, now, although they really loved backpacking, hiking, walks, or, outdoor photography in their 20's.

If they see the lightweight backpacking, now, I think they would get back to backpacking.

Many, if not most "seniors" can afford to purchase gear they admired in their "salad days" when they were much younger. I know my 20's were "salad days".

I still got outdoors, mountainclimbing, hiking, walks, and outdoor photography. I never considered myself a backpacker. Huh? I am hiking.

I even tried birding, sitting with a bird book and bird apps and binoculars in a parking lot on a famous "flyway". I also sat at a pond, early morning and early evening. I even sat at a parking lot, near the shoreline to see the sea-birds, early morning and early evening.

Why? I am getting older. I may need something more sedentary.

Hah! Seniors HIKE!

Thinspace
12-19-2014, 13:40

One of my all time favorites!

rickb
12-19-2014, 13:57

That was good. He also produced http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0318462/ which is the story of Che Guevara's pre-revolutionary journey by motorcycle up South America. Very Good.

I see a common thread between some of these movies, and actually can't think of who I would trust more to pull AWITW off. I hope I'm right!

Connie
12-19-2014, 14:14
I am in that "Roman Legion". <sigh>

The first few seconds, right after the narrative, I could not bear to continue watching.

Another time. Maybe I will find Dove, another solo sailing movie, on Netflix or Hulu.

I was season champion, Division R Yacht Racing Association, San Francisco Bay and ocean.

I could not "handle" watching absolutely everything done, and, shown by the movie, wrong.

Absolutely Everything.

I had to stop.

But, thank you. I never thought of looking for any movies on Netflix or Hulu. They ask preferences. I named old tv series. They "suggest" other tv series.

Why did I not know they have movies. Duh!

If the Bill Bryson, or, Wild never come to a theator near me, maybe Hulu, maybe Netflix.

Tipi Walter
12-19-2014, 15:41

The first few seconds, right after the narrative, I could not bear to continue watching.

Another time. Maybe I will find Dove, another solo sailing movie, on Netflix or Hulu.

I was season champion, Division R Yacht Racing Association, San Francisco Bay and ocean.

I could not "handle" watching absolutely everything done, and, shown by the movie, wrong.

Absolutely Everything.

I had to stop.

But, thank you. I never thought of looking for any movies on Netflix or Hulu. They ask preferences. I named old tv series. They "suggest" other tv series.

If the Bill Bryson, or, Wild never come to a theator near me, maybe Hulu, maybe Netflix.

My point exactly.

Del Q
12-19-2014, 23:22
Happy that this finally coming out.............should be funny.

Traveler
12-20-2014, 07:28

Absolutely Everything.

I had to stop.

Thats kind of the point of the story, two older guys, one very out of shape, making an attempt on a thru hike being woefully unprepared and equipped.

Connie
12-20-2014, 07:59
I couldn't read all the book, but that wasn't the reason.

Mrs Baggins
12-20-2014, 08:10
Hey! Thank you, Mags.

That is the solo sailing movie I wanted to see, that did not get to a movie theator near me.

I have Netflix.

I am glad the two lead actors in this Bryson movie are in their "seniority".

I did not read the entire book. I don't know if Bill Bryson ever got into lightweight backpacking.

I don't know if the movie will show anyone lightweight backpacking.

There are so many backpackers, that are "senior citizens" by now.

I think many, if not nearly all, "seniors" think they cannot backpack, now, although they really loved backpacking, hiking, walks, or, outdoor photography in their 20's.

If they see the lightweight backpacking, now, I think they would get back to backpacking.

Many, if not most "seniors" can afford to purchase gear they admired in their "salad days" when they were much younger. I know my 20's were "salad days".

I still got outdoors, mountainclimbing, hiking, walks, and outdoor photography. I never considered myself a backpacker. Huh? I am hiking.

I even tried birding, sitting with a bird book and bird apps and binoculars in a parking lot on a famous "flyway". I also sat at a pond, early morning and early evening. I even sat at a parking lot, near the shoreline to see the sea-birds, early morning and early evening.

Why? I am getting older. I may need something more sedentary.

Hah! Seniors HIKE!

I'll be 59 tomorrow. I didn't even START hiking/backpacking til I was 47. Up til then I had knee pain from a skiing accident in 1978. After a few months of hiking the knee pain disappeared and has never returned. I had excruciating foot pain when attempting an AT thru-hike in 2006 and had to drop off the trail. The right insoles - problem gone. I started kayaking, biking, archery, and even tried fencing, in the past 10 years. I cannot stand it when my friends (women in particular) give me that "oh no, I'm too old" excuse when I try to get them outdoors more. The more I hike the better I feel. Just did the West Highland Way this past September and this coming September I'll be doing the Camino de Santiago.

BirdShooter
02-06-2015, 14:41
I hope you make the cut!

What was he experience like?

Did they change your look much or accept you the way arrived for the shoot?

Sorry, just noticed this. To answer your question Rick B, I wouldn't be surprised if the Maine scene get cut, but they spent 5 hours shooting the Rainbow Springs scenes so I expect they'll make the cut. It just premiered at Sundance last week - but my invite must have gotten lost in the mail. :)

A friend and I recount the whole experience here if you are interested...

http://n2backpacking.com/episode-22-walk-in-the-woods-life-as-an-extra/

BirdShooter
02-06-2015, 17:09
And Mags, I enjoy TTS and your efforts there. Don't think I've missed a regular show or a bonus show yet. Great format. Keep up the good work and just let me know when you lack a beer sponsor. Sounds like you've been doubling up lately, but I'll fill the void when you have an opening.