PDA

View Full Version : NY to Maine or Maine to NY?

astafford
12-16-2014, 18:12
I would like to hike the AT between the NY/CT border and Katahdin. Which way would you suggest and when would you start. Considering black flies, skitters, fall colors, SOBO and NOBO crowds, etc. Thanks!

Feral Bill
12-16-2014, 19:10
I expect that the month of departure would decide this. Earlier->NOBO, later->SOBO.

rafe
12-16-2014, 19:16
Starting in NY would give you more time to get into condition. Southern New England is relatively easy hiking on the AT, it only starts to get really hard as you enter the White Mountains around Glencliff, NH. But most southbound thru hikers wait 'till June or even July to start, on account of the black flies in Maine.

astafford
12-16-2014, 21:20
How late could I leave Katahdin, head south and still have decent weather and see some colors?

sparky2000
12-16-2014, 22:28
u have to wait until the mud season is over and the state has opened the trail. About 10 June.

johnnybgood
12-16-2014, 22:31
The process of fall foilage begins earlier in elevation so by mid September the leaves should be beginning to gain color in Baxter State Park. By the time you get to the hundred mile wilderness fall foliage should be at peak .
The one caveat ; winter can begin early in Maine at elevation with ice and snowstorms.

The only question there is left to answer is whether you want to see the steady progression of fall colors as you walk south beginning in NH/Vermont . My mid October the colors in the lower New England states should be at or near peak I would imagine.

I'd probably descend from Katahdin in time to see the start of the colors changing but not near peak . Somewhere there has to be a fall foliage guide for typical New England years.

Deadeye
12-16-2014, 22:34
That's about 690 miles. If you average 12 mpd SOBO, it'll take about 60 days. 12 mpd is a pretty reasonable pace in ME and NH, but you can probably do a lot more from Glencliff south. Peak color in VT is early October, so if you start September 1 in Maine, you'll see plenty of color most of the trip, and might hit peak color in parts, but you may find less than "decent" weather in the Whites. Come to think of it, you may find less than "decent" weather in the Whites any month of the year!

Sounds like a plan, I might just do that! Enjoy

astafford
12-16-2014, 23:44
Great information. Thanks!