PDA

View Full Version : nice 20-25 mile section of the Foothills Trail?

ATL Backpacker
12-17-2014, 11:03
I want to try a section of the FH trail but not sure where to start/finish. Looking for a nice ~20-25 mile stretch with road access where I can drop a car then get shuttled. Would cover the distance in 3 days/2 nights.

The middle section with all the rivers and Jocassee looks intriguing but unsure about mileages and access points.

Suggestions?

AO2134
12-17-2014, 11:39
I recently section hiked this trail. The middle 32ish miles there is no road access in between there. It must be done as a 32ish mile hike from Bad Creek Access to Laurel Valley.

My favorite part of the trail was table rock to laurel valley, but that section is only 13.9 miles.

Given your requirements, I would suggest ending at Bad Creek Access and starting at Burrells Ford or vice versa. That is only a 15 mile section, but you should do the side trail to lower Whitewater falls which is as impressive as upper.

Other option is to start at Oconee and end at Sloan Bridge, which is about 23.6 miles without side trails and there are plenty. Fair parking lot on Sloan Bridge right off major road.

The middle section you reference really can't be done unless you can increase your mileage. The access points for that section have to be Bad Creek and Laurel Valley off of 178. No other access points unless you got a boat. Large parking lots at both access points here.

I am at work and will supplement this with more information if you need it. The mileages may be a little off since I am working from memory, but they shouldn't be too off.

Rain Man
12-17-2014, 13:03
Having hiked the FT and its spur, I'd say any section is a great hike. Hard to go wrong. I will say the western-most section gives you a river, the eastern-most gives you a mountain, the middle section both, plus lakes.

Rain Man

ATL Backpacker
12-17-2014, 17:50
Great info. Looks like we'd tackle the Oconee to Sloan's bridge. That mileage and ease of access is just about perfect for our time frame. Any tips on preferred direction (E to W or W to E?) campsites, water sources, etc., would be appreciated.

AO2134
12-17-2014, 18:41
Water is plentiful throughout this section. As for campsites, I would avoid Burrell's Ford like the plague. If I could, I would wipe it off the face of this earth. The ease of access attracts to many who have no respect for hiking, themselves, the trail, or nature. Assuming your goal is 2 nights 3 days (and that being said) Burrell's Ford may be a good place for night 1. There are also several amazing campsites along the Chatoogaa River if you have time/legs.

If you are worried about your car at all, I would park car at Oconee State Park and get a shuttle to sloan bridge SC 107. From Sloan Bridge 23.9 miles from Oconee, I would hike to Burrell's Ford (16.8 miles) and make camp. There are several campsites, with ample water, large fire pits, trashcans, bathrooms, bear cables, etc.

Night 2 should take you to Lick Log Falls (8.2 miles), as there is a large campsite here. Also make sure you hike to King Creek Falls on a side trail shortly after leaving Burrell's Ford.

Day 3 is hiking to car. You can also hike to Tamassy Knob and Hidden falls as you approach Oconee State Park.

Hope it helps and happy hiking!

ATL Backpacker
12-17-2014, 20:21
Thanks AO, super helpful. Yep, I have zero interest in camping anywhere there is auto access. So if there is a good camping area just before or after Burrell's Ford that'd be a relief.

dmax
12-17-2014, 23:57
The pocket profile from anti gravity gear sure is nice for this trail. We hiked the FHT starting at Oconee last March. Burrells ford was basically empty for us. Two weeks later I drove back with my wife and hiked into burrells ford from the parking area which is about 1/2 mile away. There were a few more people camping there that weekend, including some scouts, but there was plenty of room to be in your own quite area. .. King creek falls is cool!!!

AO2134
12-18-2014, 13:28
I don't remember anything before Burrell's Ford for several miles. There were some places after Burrell's ford. Maybe mile, mile and a half passed it. This section is very, very easy. I was doing 3.5 mph+ during this stretch. I would push on and get two miles passed burrell's ford.

winger
12-18-2014, 22:45
Did this last month: parked at burrells ford, hiked along the chattoga trail going north then took the fork Mtn trail going east. Camped the first night, then back on the fork Mtn trail and got on the foothills trail at Sloan bridge. Went another couple of miles and camped by the river, then finished back at burrells ford. 21 miles. Only saw 2 other hikers.