PDA

View Full Version : Jetboil Question.

HogFan
12-17-2014, 15:51
The wife says she'll get me a JetBoil for my birthday in January.
She says pick one out. I'm torn between the Flash and the Zip.

What say you fine folks?

RED-DOG
12-17-2014, 16:03
I think I would go with the Flash but have you checked out the Mimo.

Coffee
12-17-2014, 16:05
Jetboil Sol Aluminum is being discontinued. But still available on Amazon.com for $99. That's the model I have and recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RA2EDU/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687582&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B005TON9RI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1DZQHNNAMJJ5BX1N8XWZ

Connie
12-17-2014, 16:07
Whatever you choose, the Jetboil is for "hot water right now". Boiled eggs, watery soup, hot water.

I have no experience with The "MiniMo". The regulator valve flame control enables a "simmer". If desireable, then, look for the regulator valve flame control on the model Jetboil you select.

To answer the question:

I have the Jetboil Zip "Cooking System Carbon" as called, today. It has no igniter, and an igniter is a convenience. It has the aluminum cooking pot, that will scratch. The utensils are important.

The Jetboil Sol Ti is still available. Find it online. It has the igniter. The titanium will not scratch. It is possible to make marks, but not scratches. I would like to have the Jetboil Sol Ti.

HogFan
12-17-2014, 16:11

Not yet. I'm going by the local outfitter after work tonight, so I'll see if they have one. Thanks!

RED-DOG
12-17-2014, 16:28
Not yet. I'm going by the local outfitter after work tonight, so I'll see if they have one. Thanks!

I purchased the SOL-TI a few months ago before it was discontinued, it's an awesome stove I love it, like others have stated It is possible that the SOL-TI is still on the market so your local outfitter might have one if so GRAB IT, I think it's the better one out of the whole bunch if they don't have it, check out the Flash and MiniMo I think the Minimo was suppose to replace the SOL line.

I don't have any experience with the Zip so I can't comment about that one.

P.S If all else fails get a Pocket Rocket I have used one for years and it's a great stove

Coffee
12-17-2014, 16:55
Sol Aluminum is only slightly heavier that Sol Ti and there are no dissimilar metals contacting each other. I've read about issues with the Sol Ti related to the aluminum flux ring contacting the ti pot. Something to consider.

zelph
12-17-2014, 16:58
Connie, which one is the shortest in height. I've read they were kinda tippy because of their height.

Connie
12-17-2014, 17:00
Jetboil Ti

Right, do not apply flame to an empty cooking pot, or, boil it dry, or, pour out all the hot water leaving the flame ON. Do not have cream soups or heavy stews, for example.

It is for "hot water right now".

Connie
12-17-2014, 17:02
Zelph, The MiniMo is the shortest.

I really like my Zip. It has the 1.5 liter cooking pot, easier "reach" for utensils.

The "original" Jetboil needed a long-handled utensil.

The "original" was a little "tippy" so you have the pot stand. Not that great.

Where is the "flat surface" it needs?

Now, Jetboil has a new taller Jetboil. Maybe "good" sitting in the truck bed?

The new Jetboil Joule Cooking System looks interesting... not the only upside diwn cannister stove in the marketplace. I don't need that, so I won't be able to have an opinion.

HooKooDooKu
12-17-2014, 17:28

If I were considering purchasing a JetBoil today, I would pick the MiniMo:

1. If you're looking for light weight, JetBoil is NOT the way to go.
A lighter solution that would be about as efficient with fuel as the JetBoils would be to get a SnowPeak MaxLite paired with an OilCamp XTS pot. The pot has the flux ring built in like the JetBoil, and the MaxLite is one of the lightest an most compact canister stoves.

2. The burner that comes with Sol, Flash, and Zip is basically either on or off. The difference is about 1/4 turn of the control knob. So those burners are not designed to simmer. But the Mimo burner allows you to simmer. So if you want to do more than just boil water, it will be easier in the Mimo than the others.

3. Boil time is faster with the Mimo because it has a wider base, there is more surface area to transfer the heat between the flame and the pot, so water boils faster.

4. The Mimo pot is wider than it is tall. This makes it easier to eat directly from the pot.

5. The Mimo is 1L in volume. That means it matches the volume of the Flash, but is still lighter. (This alone should rule out the Flash over the Mimo).

So I think at the end of the day, you want to decide between the Mimo or the Zip.
The Zip will be cheaper and lighter. But the Mimo will be quicker and more flexible.

bigcranky
12-17-2014, 18:01
We took a Sol Ti on our hike this summer, and cooked with it. Not the best choice, as it's a little small for two, but it worked. I should have used the 1-liter aluminum pot instead of the 0.8 liter Ti pot. I do think the Sol is a decent choice at the closeout prices I've seen around the net.

colorado_rob
12-17-2014, 19:27

1. If you're looking for light weight, JetBoil is NOT the way to go.
A lighter solution that would be about as efficient with fuel as the JetBoils would be to get a SnowPeak MaxLite paired with an OilCamp XTS pot. The pot has the flux ring built in like the JetBoil, and the MaxLite is one of the lightest an most compact canister stoves.Well, not exactly: The Jetboil Sol Ti is 8.9 oz, the combo of those two you mention, 8.6 ounces. Because of the insulated cozy on the Jetboil, I'm betting it's more efficient. Lose the cozy and the Jetboil might actually be lighter.... Yep! Just measured it, the Jetboil cozy weighs 1.0 ounces, making the Jetboil Sol Ti 7.9 ounces, a complete working (including Pizeo electric ignitor), very fuel efficient stove. HKDK's combo looks great, but it is a tad heavier apples-apples (but it does hold 0.1 more liters in the pot, might be important to some).

Abatis1948
12-17-2014, 20:08
Mimo!! Can do so much more than boil water.

HogFan
12-19-2014, 13:42
After reading this thread, I've decided to let my wife know to get the miniMo if its in stock.
Thanks!

hikin_jim
12-19-2014, 22:38
Zelph, The MiniMo is the shortest. Connie is correct based on what I've seen. Here's a photo comparing (left to right) an MSR Windboiler pot (1.0 L), a Jetboil Sol pot (0.8 L), and a Jetboil MiniMo pot (1.0L).
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nkDBqLCEyXg/VH_AAsitBaI/AAAAAAAA7hA/6i-sqiCl0S4/s912/DSC00579.JPG

I really like my Zip. It has the 1.5 liter cooking pot, easier "reach" for utensils. The Jetboil Zip has a capacity of 0.8 L. It's the same capacity as the Sol -- unless someone buys a Sumo pot which is much wider and taller. The Sumo's capacity is 1.8 L.

HJ

hikin_jim
12-19-2014, 22:54
Sol Aluminum is only slightly heavier that Sol Ti and there are no dissimilar metals contacting each other. I've read about issues with the Sol Ti related to the aluminum flux ring contacting the ti pot. Something to consider.There can be issues. You should be all right if you just stick to 100% water. No noodles, soups, chowders, stews, etc. No melting snow.

I've seen a number of them with separated heat exchangers. The guys at REI I talked to were aware of the problem and had seen a number of returns.

I've picked up some examples at backpacker swap meets and such:
1. https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--fZlHgJOLv4/U_wRVI44ldI/AAAAAAAA1YM/sYmVcMfC1EU/s912/DSC09046.JPG
2. https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FaXQIQn1z-s/U_wRt-nDp5I/AAAAAAAA1YY/QjEyYDoGp0Y/s912/DSC09047.JPG
3. https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-dxgEjzxudT0/VH-1TlSgOII/AAAAAAAA7b0/DGPrFqAUePY/s912/DSC00741.JPG

I'm a little paranoid, so I'd probably go with all aluminum, but that's me. Be careful, and hopefully you'll be fine.

HJ

Connie
12-19-2014, 23:14
The Jetboil Zip is .8 liter

The markings inside are in 8 oz. 12 oz. and 16 oz.
and 200 ml 300 ml 400 ml and 500 ml

The markings are a real convenience, for a recipe.

hikin_jim
12-20-2014, 00:54
Oh, good, that's what I thought. For a minute there I was wondering if Jetboil had a model out that I hadn't heard of.

I don't know if anyone saw it, but I have a comparison chart on my blog listing all the weights and prices for the various MSR and Jetboil integrated canister stoves. If you're shopping for one, it might be handy. It's in Appendix III of this post (http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2014/11/review-new-msr-windboiler.html).

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0gjLHU6KZls/VGwyGvEGwqI/AAAAAAAA5nU/NInlta_LZqo/s912/DSC00196.JPG

HJ

BradMT
12-21-2014, 18:39
I just finished my 4th season with the Jetboil Sol Ti, no problems. Also have the Sol Aluminum, no problems.

I think the direction Jetboil (now part of Johnson Outdoors) is going is a huge step backwards.