PDA

View Full Version : AT is a front country trail (and Baxter SP issue addressed)

Starchild
12-18-2014, 13:09
To many thru hikers the AT is their front country, and I feel this is at the heart of many current discussions including the growing conflict with Baxter SP.

The frontcountry nature of the AT (for thru's) I became aware of on my thru. It was my home and community, it was my major 'highway' to obtain services and to rejoin nightly, my extended trail family. The paved road system for cars was not for me, and when I needed to travel them the service was provided, mainly by hitching, but my mode of travel was on foot, and that's why the AT was constructed. It was my highway to adventure and meeting people and seeing new environments, both natural and manmade.

My world fit very neatly into the AWOL guidebook, the AT's one dimensional nature (N-S), and the services off trail AT East or AT West added the second dimension to this world, and yes elevation was the 3rd dimension. Also the internet/smartphone did add a connection to the people in the off trail world as well. Whenever I traveled outside my AT Guide defined world, I felt not at home and desired to return. Even sometimes when I ventured too far for too long to a 'AT East' or 'AT West' location.

I do find that this is in exact conflict with the issue posted with Baxter SP. The people who visit Baxter, even car camping with pop-ups, car camping equipment and watercraft and the like are there having a back country experience - To them, to their understanding and perhaps their ability to have one. They are driving away from their home and friends and getting away from that to a very road remote part of the woods.

For the AT hiker, that is their home, it is their friends, it is their world. Even though they live a much more primitive existence and are of lower numbers then the 'drive in' crowd, they are living a front country experience for their guidebook defined world. Also as we all know for most who make it here, it is a great time of celebration adding to the conflict.

I don't see anything reversing this trend, which first stated with Earl Shaffer's hike, and perhaps as one of it's founding visions, to hike from some sort of camp to camp about a day's hike apart. Perhaps Baxter SP should reevaluate what the AT is today and if they wish to have it anymore given the way they wish to have the park, and perhaps that is the most honest answer that the ATC can give in reply to the letter from BSP.

WingedMonkey
12-18-2014, 13:19
I'm starting to think that you have never been in the woods alone.

Starchild
12-18-2014, 13:31
I'm starting to think that you have never been in the woods alone.

For the record 2 nights, one on my thru one on another backpack. Also additionally with just me and Slpash (who hiked about 1/3 the AT with me) maybe 3-6 additional times. But you do hit upon that I don't like to be or feel alone. I do appreciate privacy. But all and all I do feel we are not meant to be alone.

However I am not saying that people should have no place to be alone in the wilderness, but OTOH, the AT Thru community may be a poor choice for that because it is something else. And that community does allow more access to the wilderness for more people because of what it is. Actually much like Baxter SP provides access to the wilderness for many who arrive in cars.

Great post thank you

Thinspace
12-18-2014, 13:34
what is a front country?

Starchild
12-18-2014, 13:37
what is a front country?

LNT defines it here : https://lnt.org/teach/frontcountry

But in general I am using it a the main area of life we travel through on a regular basis as part of our daily life. On a thru that would be the trail itself. Our 'backcountry' would be a side trip to NYC or something like that.

TNhiker
12-18-2014, 13:41
But all and all I do feel we are not meant to be alone.

do you mean "we" in all people or just you and Slpash?

Connie
12-18-2014, 14:04
The AT is, very much, about along a highway and near side roads.

I think Starchild speaks the truth about the AT.

How about a thread about seeing only nature on the AT, not "secondary" or "tertiary" forests or brush, "cow pastures" or private property? How much of the AT us "public land" or designated wilderness, or, a park?

Answer in miles walked. Answer in acerage travelled thru?

Answer longest mileage to a road, a highway, or, a town?

Starchild
12-18-2014, 14:41
do you mean "we" in all people or just you and Slpash?

Used as 'human beings are not made to be alone, they are by their nature a social animal'.

While some may desire a time of being alone, and that could be healthy, I do believe that all will eventually require social interaction or go mad if it is denied for long enough.