PDA

View Full Version : The trail

Bearleg
12-18-2014, 14:50
Sitting watching students take exams, i got bored and my mind wandered. (im a math teacher)

enjoy,

And so they came
HYOH is their phrase
Follow the White Blaze
Elevation gained and lost
On to Katahdin at any cost
Thru fourth teen states we go
Some fast and some slow.
Sleeping in Hostels, shelters, or even tents,
Hunger and sore feet pay the rent.
My pack is too big, some it’s to small
Some say it weighs nothing at all
Either a section or thru
Thinking about the AT is all we do.
Bearleg,

BaxterBear
12-18-2014, 14:58
Do teachers not watch for cheating students anymore? Perhaps I am getting old and out of touch. :-?

Bearleg
12-18-2014, 15:18
sure we do, you would be surprised to the extent they go through to cheat, if only they would just study. :eek:

illabelle
12-18-2014, 16:07
Do teachers not watch for cheating students anymore? Perhaps I am getting old and out of touch. :-?

I used to be a math teacher. Catching cheaters is easy. I well remember one particular incident:
I prepared a hand-written multiple choice test. Problems were on one sheet, students wrote their answers, A, B, C, or D on a separate sheet. I remember this one guy who was kinda tall, and could see over someone's shoulder more easily than most. His friend in front of him was sitting a little to the side and leaned over a bit. It was obvious that cheating was going on. What they didn't know was that they had different versions of the test. Carefully disguised differences were built into it, sometimes the order of the ABCD answers, sometimes an easily overlooked change of a few numbers here and there, or a change of operation from + to -.
I watched without being obvious, entertained by the cheater's attempts to appear busy with the problems. Several minutes into the test, he exclaimed out loud, "Hey, these two are different!" and looked in my direction accusingly. I laughed!

he.who.forgets
12-18-2014, 17:10
Good thing you don't teach English ;) I kid, I kid! Thanks for sharing

perdidochas
12-18-2014, 17:31
I used to be a math teacher. Catching cheaters is easy. I well remember one particular incident:
I prepared a hand-written multiple choice test. Problems were on one sheet, students wrote their answers, A, B, C, or D on a separate sheet. I remember this one guy who was kinda tall, and could see over someone's shoulder more easily than most. His friend in front of him was sitting a little to the side and leaned over a bit. It was obvious that cheating was going on. What they didn't know was that they had different versions of the test. Carefully disguised differences were built into it, sometimes the order of the ABCD answers, sometimes an easily overlooked change of a few numbers here and there, or a change of operation from + to -.
I watched without being obvious, entertained by the cheater's attempts to appear busy with the problems. Several minutes into the test, he exclaimed out loud, "Hey, these two are different!" and looked in my direction accusingly. I laughed!

I used to have two or three versions of tests when I taught. I never told the kids about it. I'd occasionally get the ultra low tests from the cheaters. It amused me.

illabelle
12-18-2014, 17:55
I used to have two or three versions of tests when I taught. I never told the kids about it. I'd occasionally get the ultra low tests from the cheaters. It amused me.

And instead of "Form A, version 2" or some other designation, I liked using a stray mark known only to me to easy sort one version from another. A simple line in the upper margin that would be dismissed as a wrinkle or fold in the original and duplicated in the copies was my favorite. :)

Trailweaver
12-19-2014, 03:26
love the poem! How creative!

Old_Man
12-19-2014, 09:30
I always love artistic interpretations of the AT. Thank you for sharing! :sun

imscotty
12-19-2014, 12:12

I do the same illabelle. I usually only need it on the first exam or two. Nips that problem right in the bud.