PDA

View Full Version : i am back

neo
10-24-2005, 13:14
just made it home,i did a south bound section from kinsman notch in nh to manchester vt,i now have a 82 mile gap between dalton ma and manchester vt,from 2001 to 2004 i section hiked from springer mt in ga to dalton ma.i only hike 149 miles in 12 dayson this trip ,i had 9 very very rainy days on my 12 day hike,i usually average 20 to 25 miles a day,well i will fill in the gap and jump up to kinsman notch and hike north next year,i got a very late start this year
shorter daylight and heavy rains slowed me down but it was still a great hike,gonna start 1st week of sept next year,happy trails to all :cool: neo

Big Dawg
10-24-2005, 15:05
Welcome back Neo!! Rainy, but in the woods,,,, it's all good!! :clap

Big Dawg
10-24-2005, 15:07
Nice pics!!! :D

neo
10-24-2005, 17:28
i wieghed myself today,i knew i lost wieght,but wow 19 lbs
i ate a lot in town and on the trail,i dropped from 192 to 173 lbs.
:cool: neo

neo
10-24-2005, 20:43

thanks big dawg:cool: neo

Rain Man
10-24-2005, 22:41
Welcome back, Neo. You have some GREAT pics (haven't been able to view them all yet). I'm jealous!

Rain:sunMan

Sly
10-25-2005, 00:26
Even with longer, sunny days you shouldn't expect to hike 20-25 mile days in the Whites or Mahoosucs. They usually kick even the fittest thru-hikers butts. Many drop their mileage to 10 a day or less.

Of course, YMMV.

MedicineMan
10-25-2005, 01:22
and a photographer among your many talents! glad you had such an awesome time...think of the rain as a needed shower :)

neo
10-25-2005, 09:39
and a photographer among your many talents! glad you had such an awesome time...think of the rain as a needed shower :)

was a great hike,now its time to backpack here in the great state tennessee

neo
10-25-2005, 15:26
i still needed to do laundry and shower after getting rained on 9 out of 12 days lol medicine man:cool: neo

Cookerhiker
10-25-2005, 15:34
Even with longer, sunny days you shouldn't expect to hike 20-25 mile days in the Whites or Mahoosucs. They usually kick even the fittest thru-hikers butts. Many drop their mileage to 10 a day or less.

Of course, YMMV.
Having recently competed the AT by hiking from Gorham to Katahdin, I can personally attest to the validity of Sly's assertion. But it's beautiful!

peter_pan
10-25-2005, 15:39
Welcome back Neo....where are the hammock pics?.... you didn't sleep in the shelters, did you? naw, I know you didn't.

Pan

Seeker
10-25-2005, 17:12
welcome back. :clap i thought it was getting a little too quiet around here!:D

neo
10-25-2005, 18:53
welcome back. :clap i thought it was getting a little too quiet around here!:D
thanks seeker:cool: neo

neo
10-25-2005, 18:54
Welcome back Neo....where are the hammock pics?.... you didn't sleep in the shelters, did you? naw, I know you didn't.

Pan
could not take hammock picks in the rain lol:cool: neo

Nightwalker
10-26-2005, 11:44
I have to agree with that!

neo
10-26-2005, 14:12

Pan
i slept in my hammock 8 out of 12 nights,2 of those nights where in town lol

JoeHiker
10-26-2005, 17:04
i slept in my hammock 8 out of 12 nights,2 of those nights where in town lol
Neo, I was out there in the same rain with you, from the 12th to the 23rd, going down the LT. I slept in shelters twice and finally decided that I'd set up my hammock no matter how cold, dark and rainy it was. I agree with you. Shelters suck.

peter_pan
10-26-2005, 18:51
Agree. Shelters suck so bad that I resolved 29 months ago never to go to ground in one again...ditching the pad was my key to avoiding the shelters enticement.

Have been totally happy "hanging out" in the rain, cold and snow ever since.

Pan

neo
10-26-2005, 20:06
Neo, I was out there in the same rain with you, from the 12th to the 23rd, going down the LT. I slept in shelters twice and finally decided that I'd set up my hammock no matter how cold, dark and rainy it was. I agree with you. Shelters suck.
did you stay in rutland,i saw a guy on the bus between rutland and killington
he got off at sherbern pass to get on long trail,i went back to killington to get
on the AT.:cool: neo

Nightwalker
10-26-2005, 22:03
You guys are about to win another one. What's the least expensive hammock setup that won't disappoint, and will last a bit? I like all that I've seen, be they hennesy, J-or-B, or the udder one that stroke brain just lost. I like the average 1.5 pound weight. I don't get cold easy. I'm just kinda ready.

The last thing was finding out from Geezer (GAME 95) while on the GA AT a couple of weeks ago that you could use your Lekis above the tree line and convert the hammock to a bivy. Cool.

However, I like shelters. Probably has to do with the fact that I usually get there too late to get one during Spring Rush. During the Autumn, getting one whenever I want is a real treat for me.

:)

JoeHiker
10-26-2005, 23:04
did you stay in rutland,i saw a guy on the bus between rutland and killington
he got off at sherbern pass to get on long trail,i went back to killington to get
on the AT.:cool: neo
No, that wasn't me. At one point I caught the Snow Bowl shuttle to Middlebury for the day to buy some supplies but that was the only bus I rode on the trip (besides the bus that brought me from Boston to Montpelier). The only place I stayed besides the trail was the Hyde Away in Appalachian Gap.

JoeHiker
10-26-2005, 23:06
However, I like shelters. Probably has to do with the fact that I usually get there too late to get one during Spring Rush. During the Autumn, getting one whenever I want is a real treat for me.
:)
For me the only thing I didn't like about the shelters was the mice. I can't sleep with mice running on top of me.

Patrick
10-27-2005, 12:17
Neo,

I'm stupid; where are the pictures?

I'm done with shelters, too. I did an eight-day section up there in September and the only bad night sleep I had was in Upper Goose Pond Cabin. It was my favorite spot of the trip and I stayed inside because I was having a great time with the caretakers and didn't want to be rude, but the SNORING. I don't want to be bothered by other people and their noise and I don't want to be worried about keeping others awake with mine.

Hanging out with folks at the shelters for dinner then retiring to my Hennessy off in the woods is definitely the way I'll go from now on.

neo
10-27-2005, 17:01
Neo,

I'm stupid; where are the pictures?

I'm done with shelters, too. I did an eight-day section up there in September and the only bad night sleep I had was in Upper Goose Pond Cabin. It was my favorite spot of the trip and I stayed inside because I was having a great time with the caretakers and didn't want to be rude, but the SNORING. I don't want to be bothered by other people and their noise and I don't want to be worried about keeping others awake with mine.

Hanging out with folks at the shelters for dinner then retiring to my Hennessy off in the woods is definitely the way I'll go from now on.
go to photo's,then gallery homepage,the members gallery,i am on page 11.:cool: neo

Patrick
10-27-2005, 18:56
Hey, look at that. I've checked out pictures at random, but never looked at the galleries before. That's awesome.

Really great pics, neo. Good lord do I wish I was back out there instead of sitting at this miserable desk.

neo
10-27-2005, 20:08
Hey, look at that. I've checked out pictures at random, but never looked at the galleries before. That's awesome.

Really great pics, neo. Good lord do I wish I was back out there instead of sitting at this miserable desk.
yeah me to,i will be doin plenty of backpacking here in tenneesse till
i am on the trail again:cool: neo