PDA

View Full Version : Another sleeping bag ?

squeezebox
12-18-2014, 17:33
My preference would be a high end bag, maybe zpack , several others in that wt. & price range.
But then I looked at Enlightened Equipment quilts. Same kind of wt. & temp range but at almost 1/2 the cost.
For the price of a 10* zpack bag I can get EE 10* & 40* quilt. I have an Xtherm pad I'll be in a tent. I have a 40* Kelty Cosmic 1lb 14 oz that I can't return ,but a glitch in Rei's system I didn't pay for it.
EE's strap system for pads looks secure and draft resistant. It's hard to justify the extra $ for a zipper
So that's what I'm leaning towards today. Your opinion appreciated.

HooKooDooKu
12-18-2014, 18:15
I'm not up-to-date on high end down bags...

But if you are interested in synthetic, I highly recommend Mountain Hardware Ultralamina series (they have 0º, 15º, 32º, & 45º).
The 15º weights <3lbs and full retails for ~$260
The 32º weights <2lbs and full retails for ~$240

They pack down really small... smaller than some higher priced down bags.
The North Face Cat's Meow 20º (typical synthetic bag) - 9"x17" = 1080 cuin
The Mountain Hardware Ultralamina Lamina 15º - 7"x13" = 500 cuin

To compare to a Down Bag:
Marmot Plasma
The 15º weights <2lbs and full retails for ~$500
Stuff size - 7.5"x15"= 660 cuin

So the ultralamina weights 50% more than a down bag @ twice the price, but stuffs down 25% smaller.

saltysack
12-18-2014, 19:36
I use a marmot 15 deg down bag for winter and a 40-45 deg down JRB Sierra stealth quilt for warmer weather. The bag seems warmer closer to the rated temp than the quilt...imo..Just my .02...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hangfire
12-19-2014, 22:27
A lot of people started last year with 20-32 bags then jumped in all different directions once the weather warmed up. I went to a 45 synthetic in June then jumped back to my 32 down once I hit the Whites. Last summer was a bit bizarre as there was some chilly weather in the summer months, lots of cold hikers who sent their bags home and went with a fleece blanket.

Dochartaigh
12-19-2014, 23:09
Which exact bags are you comparing (EE for example has like 10 different models, 3 different down fill types, different lengths/widths, etc.).

MuddyWaters
12-20-2014, 10:53
must be looking at the duck down EE quilts, there wasnt anything cheap about the ones I have. My first one, when Tim used the fabric seconds was an excellent deal. After he got popular, nope, as expensive or more than anything else out there.

Hammock Gear is the best deal out there today for a high quality quilt with high fillpower down. 100 less than Zpacks or EE.

Now, its important also to realize that lower quality down is BETTER in some circumstances too. Feathers and lower fill power down are stiffer and hold up to humidity better, lose less loft than the higher fill power. But, its heavier.

Kc Fiedler
12-20-2014, 11:27
My preference would be a high end bag, maybe zpack , several others in that wt. & price range.
But then I looked at Enlightened Equipment quilts. Same kind of wt. & temp range but at almost 1/2 the cost.
For the price of a 10* zpack bag I can get EE 10* & 40* quilt. I have an Xtherm pad I'll be in a tent. I have a 40* Kelty Cosmic 1lb 14 oz that I can't return ,but a glitch in Rei's system I didn't pay for it.
EE's strap system for pads looks secure and draft resistant. It's hard to justify the extra $ for a zipper
So that's what I'm leaning towards today. Your opinion appreciated.

Highly recommend Underground Outdoor Equipment's flight jacket top quilts. I do not expect to ever go back to a bag. Quilts are a great choice.

Connie
12-20-2014, 14:02
I have 850-fill down, argon fabric Hammock Gear Burrow 20.

I have had excellent sleeping bags: 650-fill Sierra Designs, 800-fill Mont Bell, 900-fill Brooks-Range.

The 850-fill down Hammock Gear quilt is the most excellent I have had.

I have a down quilt at home on my bed: I pick up the quilt to turn over and change position during the night.

I have the normal size for my height, with sewn footbox. I have a 3/4 NeoAir XTherm.

If I am concerned about gaps, in really cold weather, I will get a Wide version, with 1-2 oz. "overfill" and the Cascade Designs accessory snap-kit for the bottem of the NeoAir to fasten the edges more securely, than elastic cord through the little sewn in triangular-shape special plastic loops I have, now. If not a problem, I "might" get those accessory snaps. I might not.