PDA

View Full Version : Vermont

woodsman
12-18-2014, 18:15
Would mid to late July be a good time to hike Vermont?

mattjv89
12-18-2014, 18:28
Depends on the year. This past summer would have been great, I don't think the temps climbed over 80 more than 10 days the whole summer. There also wasn't much rain and it wasn't very humid. The previous summer was most often sweltering hot and humid with frequent violent thunderstorms. I believe we got some form of rain for 20 something days straight in July. I'm having a hard time remembering when blackfly season ends though I think you could still catch the tail end of it in mid July.

Are you limited to a summer hiking time? September-early October would be the best time in my opinion if you can swing it, fall colors everywhere and you don't have to deal with the leaf peeper traffic. I did 90 miles on the southern LT the first week of October and it was wonderful.

Jeff
12-18-2014, 19:59
Mid to late July is probably the most popular time to hike Vermont. That is peak thruhiker season. If you like to hang out in the evenings with a lot of interesting people, July is perfect.

As mattjv mentioned, September or early October is nearly ideal weather for hiking Vermont. The leaf season is spectacular too.

DavidNH
12-18-2014, 20:42
This depends.. where in VT would you be hiking? southern AT? over the big peaks? In anycase.. there won't be any snow. There may be plenty of bugs especially in low lying areas. It would likely be very very hot (in valleys can hit up to 100 F). Haze and frequent T storms a strong possibility.

Were it me, I'd go in mid to late August.

Deadeye
12-18-2014, 20:46
September-October is better, but July is just fine, and you might find our version of "summer" very refreshing compared to Alabama!

Lone Wolf
12-18-2014, 21:08
1st of august. go sobo. i lived on the northern border for 10 years. i know

Blissful
12-18-2014, 21:41
Sure, why not? But I found late Aug, early Sept a great time, no mud, no bugs, no hikers

imscotty
12-19-2014, 00:55
July should be fine, August and September are usually better. Weather can happen at any time. I've been hiking The Long Trail in August the past couple of years. Still plenty of mud in August, few bugs, and still plenty of hikers on weekends. In fact that last week of August you find all sorts of college Freshmen groups on the Long Trail doing orientation/ team building experiences. I don't stay at shelters so I don't care. It is fun to meet the college groups, they always bring way too much food and usually share. I stay a while at the shelters and enjoy their company and then I move on a ways and have the woods all to myself.

Jeff
12-19-2014, 07:13
JIn fact that last week of August you find all sorts of college Freshmen groups on the Long Trail doing orientation/ team building experiences. I don't stay at shelters so I don't care. It is fun to meet the college groups, they always bring way too much food and usually share. I stay a while at the shelters and enjoy their company and then I move on a ways and have the woods all to myself.

This is a good point. Seems the college orientation groups in August continue to grow every year. They are entertaining...but mostly harmless !!!!

bigcranky
12-19-2014, 08:16
We were there in July this year, and the weather was perfect. Not hot during the day, cool at night (50-ish), enough rain to keep the springs running. Just a glorious northern summer experience.

lemon b
12-19-2014, 22:49
July-August and Sept is good also. If your in Vermont a lot just sticking to the AT is really shortchanging yourself. Vermont has countless trails and the vast majority are more fun and more remote than the AT. July can still be muddy and buggy if your at the wrong place at the wrong time.