PDA

View Full Version : Brasstown Bald GA in January???

colorado_rob
12-19-2014, 11:13
Having no idea of typical snow conditions in that part of the country, does anyone know what is "typical" of BB trail conditions in mid-January? My wife and I are going on a huge roadtrip in January to try to climb as many state highpoints in the SE USA as possible (incl. AR, LA, MS, AL, FL, maybe SC), most are much lower than Brasstown Bald and should be no problem, but if we can also get to BB that would be a bonus.

Of course, conditions vary wildly and change rapidly, but just curious as to what is typical; not at all concerned about cold/wind, just snowpack on the trail. We also realize there are numerous routes, we'd probably prefer a longer one, but no biggie, whatever trail that is doable is fine.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Tipi Walter
12-19-2014, 11:22
If it's a dayhike then it could have no snow or 2 feet but what does it matter? A dayhiker could summit and battle thru one way or the other.

On the other hand, if it's a 7 day backpacking trip, more care would be needed with gear and time allotments as you well know.

colorado_rob
12-19-2014, 11:49
You're absolutely right TW, I see now that the trails are 1.2, 6 and 11 miles roundtrip. The 1.2 RT might be closed (road access), but the 6 or even the 11 would be fairly easily doable even with quite a bit of snow, and since we're driving, throwing the snowshoes and heavier winter gear in the back of the truck is no biggie at all. For some reason I thought these mileages were one-way, and with tons of snow, those would be significant efforts.

colorado_rob
12-19-2014, 12:08
I forgot to mention: Our very optimistic itinerary only allows for a day hike, hence this conditions inquiry.

2Ply
12-19-2014, 12:44
The road to the top will likely be closed but there are trails that lead to the top from the road below.

AO2134
12-19-2014, 13:13
Yup, the Arkaquah Trail is an 11 mile trail from Track Rock Gap. It has some very serious elevation gains in the first 1 1/2 to 2 miles. After that, it is more up and down, but still with some steep sections. I would be a little wary about doing it in snow/ice, but like someone said, if doing it as a day hike, it should be easily done. Jacob's knob trail (i never did this one) may be easier.

Tennessee Viking
12-19-2014, 13:58
If there is anything about to know about Southern winters is that anything can happen. It can be a blizzard with a couple feet on the ground to temps above freezing with no snow.

Check: USFS info on Brasstown. (http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/%21ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72 BTJw8jAwjQL8h2VAQAzHJMsQ%21%21?ss=110803&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&navid=100000000000000&pnavid=null&recid=10542&ttype=recarea&pname=Chattahoochee-Oconee%2520National%2520Forest%2520-%2520Brasstown%2520Bald%2520Visitor%2520Informatio n%2520Center)
Facilities close for the winter season. But the area is still open to the public. Paid entry with concessions and shuttle rides from the lot to the summit tower. There is

The road up to Brasstown parking lot is a bit squirrelly and steep off the main road.

Dogwood
12-19-2014, 14:55
I made a point of bagging state high pts for awhile as I was traveling and hiking. I think I got 44-45 of them. I got all on your list other than LA which at this time I have zero desire to bag.

Mind you the state high pts you've chosen to bag don't all have open fantastic views directly at the actual summit. Some are quite easy to bag as you can drive to the summit.

Of the high pts on your list I thought these had the best views: AL(Cheaha Mt, check out the view from the top of the stone tower(actual state high pt) and from the park's restaurant deck while eating), AR(Signal Hill/Mt Magazine, NEAR the actual summit get to the escarpment edges for some grand overlooks), and SC(Sassafras MT, the actual summit is forested but at the parking lot just below is a great newly built wooden overlook deck)

maptester
12-19-2014, 14:57
Check out the live webcam from Brasstown Bald (USFS site): http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/conf/home/?cid=fsm9_029106&width=full

Dogwood
12-19-2014, 15:02
Duh, you're also including GA. EXCELLENT view from the summit. Might be the best view overall of the state high pts on your list.

AO2134
12-19-2014, 15:58
I made a point of bagging state high pts for awhile as I was traveling and hiking. I think I got 44-45 of them. I got all on your list other than LA which at this time I have zero desire to bag.

Mind you the state high pts you've chosen to bag don't all have open fantastic views directly at the actual summit. Some are quite easy to bag as you can drive to the summit.

Of the high pts on your list I thought these had the best views: AL(Cheaha Mt, check out the view from the top of the stone tower(actual state high pt) and from the park's restaurant deck while eating), AR(Signal Hill/Mt Magazine, NEAR the actual summit get to the escarpment edges for some grand overlooks), and SC(Sassafras MT, the actual summit is forested but at the parking lot just below is a great newly built wooden overlook deck)

They are clearing off Sassafras to build a fire tower there. FYI

upstream
12-19-2014, 15:59
The "Road" to the top is only used by a shuttle from April to December. The road to the main parking lot is almost always open, except in severe weather. The "Trail" to the top is paved. It is on the south side of the mountain, and rarely keeps snow very long. It could be covered with snow, but I'd guess better than 80% chance that it won't.

If you want a nice (long) day hike, the Wagon Train Trail up from Young Harris is a relatively gradual hike, takes you up to the main parking lot, about 7 miles each way.

colorado_rob
12-21-2014, 13:11
Awesome folks, thanks for the info (I've been gone a couple days). I'm optimistic that BB just might be a doable add-on for this road trip, though of course as TV says, one never knows.

Dogwood: we're excited about finally completing our visit to all 50 states. We've climbed all the western high points (incl. AK and HI), travelled all over out here, but really anxious to see ALL the states, and figure what better way to see them, if only briefly, than by climbing to their high points. We figure this time of year is the best time to visit the SE USA (we're not good with heat and humidity).

Again, thanks!

Dogwood
12-21-2014, 15:38
Nice run down of the often thought of hardest states high pts to bag.

http://www.summitpost.org/u-s-state-highpoints/171191

gpburdelljr
12-21-2014, 16:39
The access road from Ga. Route 180 to the parking lot on Brasstown Bald is about 2.5 miles long, with a grade of about 11 percent. I would be careful of driving it if there is any possibility of ice on the road.

Tipi Walter
12-21-2014, 17:28
They are clearing off Sassafras to build a fire tower there. FYI

This post got me to thinking and so I did a quick google check and found some depressing facts---Many of the highest points in the Eastern US have roads to the top.

** Hiway 180 goes to Brasstown Bald.
** Black Mt in Kentucky is owned by a mining company with a road to the top.
** Sassafras Mt in SC has a parking lot and Clayton hiway near the top.
** Signal Hill in Arkansas is surrounded by Mt Magazine road.
** Cheaha Mt in Alabama with Bunker Rd going to the top.
** Woodall Mt in Miss has hiway 185 going to the top.
** Mt Mitchell in NC has hiway 128 to the top.

Of course everyone knows about Mt Washington and the road to the top and the cog railroad.

colorado_rob
12-21-2014, 19:13
Nice run down of the often thought of hardest states high pts to bag.

http://www.summitpost.org/u-s-state-highpoints/171191 Summitpost is a great resource for all things-peak-bagging... This subject of highpoint difficulty gets discussed endlessly, and it really does depend on conditions, but here's my list by personal experience, and though the order can vary, the top 5 are pretty universal in terms of difficulty:

1) Denali, hands down, I don't think anyone argues this is #1 in difficulty, though I had good luck both times I climbed it and no real difficulties other than living in DAMN bitter cold for weeks.
2,3) I personally think Gannett (WY) and Granite (MT) are a virtual tie, Gannett because it has, depending on time of year, a gapping and dangerous Bergshrund to navigate (plus other crevasse fields). Granite has a brief class-5 climb with difficult routefinding, and both of these peaks have long, multi-day approaches
4) Hood (OR); again, condition dependent, but steep bullet-hard ice/snow climb in last 200 feet when we did it. I was "puckered"... Some have great conditions on Hood and put it below Rainier and a few even lower.
5) Rainier (WA); complex glacier climb via the best route (Emmons), rockfall danger on easier route
6) Borah (ID); steep! steep! 5500 vertical in 3 miles, plus "chicken out ridge"

None of the others pose any significant difficulty other than some have long approaches and

This post got me to thinking and so I did a quick google check and found some depressing facts---Many of the highest points in the Eastern US have roads to the top.

Of course everyone knows about Mt Washington and the road to the top and the cog railroad. Thankfully, most also have trails to the top, which is what we'll do whenever possible. A few, fagedaboudid, like "britton hill" in florida, we'll drive, get out and wander around a bit and try (like everyone else) to figure out where the actual highpoint is! A few other are much like this, alas, but still, we'll visit the state and see some other sites as well.

Sorry for rambling on and on... you guys have been great with Brasstown Bald responses, this is just my wife's and my current thing (state HP's).

daddytwosticks
12-22-2014, 08:19

Of course everyone knows about Mt Washington and the road to the top and the cog railroad.

...and thankfully, folks with disabilities can enjoy mother nature too.

Tipi Walter
12-22-2014, 09:27
...and thankfully, folks with disabilities can enjoy mother nature too.

Along with every other healthy American who rolls up on a couch or rides a roaring Harley and who can't bear to walk.

saltysack
12-22-2014, 10:17
Yep....the percent of those with disabilities is verrrrrrrry small compared to the typical fat arse Wally World shopper eating a biggie sized cheeseburger value meal with a large DIET Coke just too lazy to get off their arse and get a little physical exercise.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tipi Walter
12-22-2014, 10:42
Yep....the percent of those with disabilities is verrrrrrrry small compared to the typical fat arse Wally World shopper eating a biggie sized cheeseburger value meal with a large DIET Coke just too lazy to get off their arse and get a little physical exercise.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the way your mind forms ideas and the way you express these ideas.

colorado_rob
01-17-2015, 23:42
Well, Brasstown Bald turned out to have very Spring-like conditions a few days ago... mid-40's and raining on the summit, 50's at the trailhead. Nice! we got it done the Georgia Highpoint, hiking a leisurely 6 miles roundtrip, along with 6 other Southeast State highpoints (AR, LA, MS, AL, SC and FL). We tried to celebrate on all summits! 24 states done, 26 to go.... The BB summit tower/center was super cool, though closed this time of year.

Nice to see the early AT starters have some decent weather right now, no telling, of course, for how long. We stopped at good old Dick's Gap on the way to SC and took some pics.

Dogwood
01-18-2015, 01:34
You missed the really fun weather about a wk earlier. My fingers are still tingling from the cold.

Way to get em dun CR. How was the visibility? Looked crappy.

Hikemor
01-18-2015, 17:20
Congrats, CR. I have 13 of 49 (Denali is not in play) on an as-opportunity-arises schedule.

Other drive up HPs are:
High Point (NJ)
Spruce Knob (WV)
Mt. Greylock (MA)
Mt. Davis (PA)
Clingmans Dome (TN)