PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you completed the "Te Araroa" in New Zealand? Or hiked in NZ?

wornoutboots
12-20-2014, 10:14
I'm wanting to do a long hike in New Zealand, does anyone have info/experience on this trail (http://www.teararoa.org.nz/overviewhistory/) or any other long trails in New Zealand? Or some good research sites? Thanks!

Mrs Baggins
12-20-2014, 10:32
Look for "Skittles" journal on trailjournals.com. He did it before it was completely finished, though. By now there should be numerous journals for it. It's on our list. Went to NZ and 2003 and desperately want to return.

Carbo
12-20-2014, 11:09
Can't give much info on the trails, but the South Island was the easiest place in the world to hitchhike. Lived in Blenheim for 18 months.

evyck da fleet
12-20-2014, 15:50
Define long hike. I just spent six weeks bouncing around both islands doing the Great Walks. Easily could have spent another six weeks or more on the next tier(s) of hikes but it would have required renting or buying a car to get to some of them on a schedule.

peakbagger
12-20-2014, 19:45
You could spend months hiking the trail system on the south island. You can fly right into Queenstown and there are shuttle options to all the trail heads and the various trail towns. Many of the more popular trails require permits to hike them but they are available if you are flexible except for the Milford and Routeburn Tracks which are in great demand.

deescheele
12-29-2014, 02:25
how did i get on this convo abt new zealand?

Grampsb
12-29-2014, 08:23
Check Bucks30 journal on Postholer. Excellent journal plus a very good post hike advice.
http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=5023a23deccbe2dc2fdc01b02513ee 9a&event_id=1179

misprof
03-05-2015, 05:00
Actually there is one. The maps in it are not accurate nor some of the road names,

misprof
03-05-2015, 05:04
You could spend months hiking the trail system on the south island. You can fly right into Queenstown and there are shuttle options to all the trail heads and the various trail towns. Many of the more popular trails require permits to hike them but they are available if you are flexible except for the Milford and Routeburn Tracks which are in great demand.
Thanks. I am looking at the shuttle services etc.
I am here now and have started sectioning the T. A. as it runs within 15Km of my house.

Size12
04-20-2015, 15:19
Im looking at doing it as part of my gap yr. There are a number of people who have completed, there are a lot of trail logs around now. Im sure if you were to get in touch with some of those people they would help with info about it etc

misprof
05-26-2015, 05:08
For accurate maps of the TA go to wams.org.nz. The other maps including the one you get when you google Te Araroa is not accurate nor tis the TOPO50 you can buy at an outfitter. I wrote the Land Management department or LINZ and they put me onto this site. I feel for anyone out there this week the weather is horrible(think hiking during Katrina only with snow).