PDA

View Full Version : Maine to NY August 1st

astafford
12-21-2014, 11:55
I would like to hike from Katahdin to NY and leave Aug 1st. I am a Wyoming boy and enjoy my solitude. My question is will I be encountering many NoBo hikers? I like the idea starting Aug 1st due to fewer bugs, behind most SoBo's, possibility of seeing some fall colors and cooler temps. Where will I run into the NoBo bubble? Better to start in NY around Aug 1st? Thanks

Just Bill
12-21-2014, 12:36
I would stick with Big K as your start-I pretty well did that one year...
There were a fair amount of folks out but no real issues-
NOBO's are finishing all the way until October.
Most SOBO's are out of the gate and likely a good way through Maine.
Flip-Floppers are probably the biggest Thru population, but generally humble, pleasant folks.
But it's fall in the Northwoods- and lots of day, weekend, and vacationing hikers are out to enjoy it.
You won't be all by your lonesome, but other than weekends you should rarely if ever find a full shelter.
You will have a few days you won't see a two legged soul, especially as you hit mid Vermont around mid september.

My very seriously biased vote is for SOBO, don't concern yourself with the relatively minimal crowds- Despite the recent threads, the AT in general, and especially up north is still not very crowded.

The reason for my bias-

August was amazing in Maine- swimming is good, fording is easy, wet areas about as dry as they get and most if not all of the bugs have moved on, temps are incredible. I wouldn't pass it up the opportunity to spend August and September there- it's a vastly different experience in October.
Assuming you are moving an average pace- you'll get to the Whites before any serious signs of winter start creeping in, with the possibility of having some amazing weather there as well.

You'll hit Vermont- the greatest state on the planet for fall colors right about the perfect time, meet a few Long Trail Hikers here and there, but not many.

If all goes well for you, sometime around perfect- The reds will explode first, as they fall you will walk on a rose petal covered trail through woods ablaze with oranges, yellows, lime greens and other wonders. The reflections off still ponds take the entire spectacle to a whole new level of breathtaking. With a set of trail legs and easier trail once you hit the Inn at The Long Trail you can hoist a pint with Owen, and leave the people behind. Then you'll move with fall all the way to NY as the Northwoods give way to the Eastern Hardwood forests and you'll have the best trip of your life.

Or at least that's how it worked for me...

Slo-go'en
12-21-2014, 13:03
Sort of a toss up. Some of it depends on how good of hiking shape you are when you start.

If you go NOBO you got about 70 days to do about 800 miles or a 11.5 MPD average which isn't too bad since you start out easy and get into better shape for the hard stuff in NH and Maine. Don't try to keep up with the thru hikers which pass you for a while. Late September / early October is a great time to be in Maine. That's when the colors peak. But be ready for some cold rain, which can last for a few days or a week.

You need to be in much better shape to start going SOBO since you hit some pretty rough trail early on and it doesn't ease up for 400 miles. But you don't have the time restraint of having to finish by October 14th. You'll meet all the NOBO's as you pass each other. I disagree with Bill on the fall foliage. You'll just see a little of it starting in southern Vermont and the rest of the way south.

peakbagger
12-21-2014, 21:43
Maine in august is great, plenty of opportunities to go swimming, the trees will be intense green. The days are still quite long which can be a plus or minus, if you are in shape prior to the hike you can put in long days and lot so miles but if you aren't, you will run out of motivation long before you run out of daylight. You still will see plenty of color change in Southern VT and Mass. There are plenty of place to camp in maine other than shelters so crowds should not be an issue unless you wants to to stay in shelters. If you can time it to go through the whites after labor day the crowds will be far less (but the AMC huts will still be very busy).