PDA

View Full Version : Jetboil or Snow Peak LiteMax

BrianOH72
12-21-2014, 21:56
I'll be setting out to section hike the AT next June and purchased a Snow Peak LiteMax stove with Snow Peak Mini Solo Titanium cook set. I plan on only boiling water for my meals and coffee/hot chocolate. The Jetboil system looks pretty nice and I was wondering if I can get some input from anyone using them. I would love to hear the pros and cons. Thanks!

Praha4
12-21-2014, 22:45
I have used the Snowpeak Litemax stove with that Mini Solo Ti cookset for the last 5 years, and love it. Never had any problems with it, very lightweight and compact. However, in very cold weather, I think you would find the Jetboil performs better and boils water faster. The Jetboil does weigh a few ounces more though. For most 3 season hikes, I take the Snow Peak, for winter hikes, I use the Jetboil.

colorado_rob
12-21-2014, 23:11
I have used the Snowpeak Litemax stove with that Mini Solo Ti cookset for the last 5 years, and love it. Never had any problems with it, very lightweight and compact. However, in very cold weather, I think you would find the Jetboil performs better and boils water faster. The Jetboil does weigh a few ounces more though. For most 3 season hikes, I take the Snow Peak, for winter hikes, I use the Jetboil.The Jetboil Sol Ti weighs in at 8.9 ounces, if you don't include wither the useless little cup or the unnecessary pot stabilizer. From an earlier "jetboil post", I was under the impression that this was only 0.1 or 0.2 ounces heavier? Folks keep referring to the weight of the older Jetboils (close to 14 ounces!) or the Sol Al version (11 ounces?). The Jetboil Sol Ti has been discontinued, but still available:

http://www.amazon.com/Jetboil-Titanium-Cooking-System-Sand/dp/B004RA03LK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419217850&sr=8-1&keywords=jetboil+sol+titanium+stove

Four left on Amazon.

Connie
12-21-2014, 23:43
The Snow Peak canister stove will require a suitable pot and windscreen.

Every stove stytem requires sorting out "the sytem" required.

You want "hot water right now".

The JetBoil "system" is already complete.

Maybe you like your own mug, or, bowl. Maybe that little protective slip-on cup at the bottem of the JetBoil is enough? I would find utensil(s) that will not scratch the interior.

Dochartaigh
12-22-2014, 00:10
What are you looking for? Lightest weight? Fastest boil time? Smallest size? The pros and cons are going to vary depending on exactly what you're looking for.

BrianOH72
12-22-2014, 14:57
Would you advise on not using a titanium spork to eat out of a titanium pot? Never thought about it scratching it up. Also do you have any suggestions on how to make a windscreen?

Connie
12-22-2014, 15:30
I have never scratched my titanium cookware, with my Snow Peak titanium spork.

It may be possible to "mark" titanium cookware, but it will not get a scratch to hold bacteria.

This is one reason I like titanium cookware and utensils so much for backpacking.

At home, I have lots of hot soapy water. Backpacking, not so much. I usually wipe out the cookware. Next hot water boil, I figure I'm good.

HooKooDooKu
12-22-2014, 17:24
I've got the JetBoil Sol (Aluminum). I also have the LiteMax paired with an MSR Titan Kettle.

I currently favor the LiteMax/Titan Kettle because it is lighter and smaller than the JetBoil, and allows me to simmer.
(All JetBoil systems the pre-date the new MiniMo have a stove that is basically either On or Off... it's only 1/4 turn of the control knob to go from full blast to off).

If you want the simmer capability of the LiteMax and the fuel efficiency of the JetBoil, you could try the LiteMax with the Oilcamp XTS (it has the built in fins like the JetBoil) but at about a 3oz weight penalty over the MSR Titan Kettle.

While not the lightest solution, if you really want a JetBoil, I would recommend the new MiniMo. As I understand it, the burner can now simmer, and the pot is more squat and wide rather than tall and skinny... makes it easier to eat directly from the pot.

Connie
12-22-2014, 19:46
BrianOH, I don't make a windscreen.

Zelph bplite.com forum sent windscreens with my alcohol stoves I ordered. He suggested I add "bobby pins" to the bottem edge to hold the windscreen 1/2 to 3/4" above the ground, so air is available for a steady flame. The windscreen itself is a rectangle of thick foil, like that of an aluminum baking pan. The height is determined by the height of the stove and cookware, perhaps with a slot cut for a handle. The length of the rectangle is determined by the diameter of the cookware, plus overlap, to pin it in place with bobby pins or paperclips, whichever is easier to replace.

If you like, purchase a windscreen separately, like the Suluk46 titanium windscreens.

However, if you have a canister stove the windscreen must be designed differently. The windscreen must not be allowed to be around the canister, because the canister will overheat and explode in metal pieces and flames.

The windscreen for a canister stove has a heat deflector below the flame jet, and, the windscreen starts at that height.

Every windscreen of either type, described here, needs 1/2 " minimum gap away from the actual circumference of the cookware. This allows air flow, for the flame.

The Caldera Cone is a different design entirely. There are only two alcohol stove designs sold to work with the Caldera Cone system, for a reason. The flame and the air flow are compatable.

QiWiz
12-24-2014, 15:41
I'll be setting out to section hike the AT next June and purchased a Snow Peak LiteMax stove with Snow Peak Mini Solo Titanium cook set. I plan on only boiling water for my meals and coffee/hot chocolate. The Jetboil system looks pretty nice and I was wondering if I can get some input from anyone using them. I would love to hear the pros and cons. Thanks!

It depends on what your priorities are. Since you already have the LiteMax, why not use that for your June section hike and then decide if you want to try other options. You will find many on trail using both so you can watch and learn as you hike. For me, any canister system is too heavy, but that's just me.

redseal
12-30-2014, 19:08
I started with a JetBoil. It was quick and easy to use. Those pros came with the cost of being heavy. I switched to an alcohol stove and loved that for being lightweight, but the weight penalty increases the longer I am between resupplies or if my wife joins me. When this occurs I use the LiteMax and cannot say anything bad about it.