PDA

View Full Version : NOC to Fontana snow fall next weekend?

saltysack
12-22-2014, 13:01
Hoping to do NOC to Fontana with my 8yr old soon..the forecast for Fontana dam is 40% frozen mix. Anyone been up there recently? Would like lil snow but don't want to take my son 30-45 deg rain...thoughts..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speakeasy TN
12-22-2014, 13:22
Dicey! The big issue I see is a lack of bailout options. Stecoah Gap looks like the only road crossing and the way I remember it, I bet it gets no traffic in bad weather. It likely won't be unpassable but I bet it would be hard to get a ride.

Maybe use Franklin as a hub and flex plans based on last minute decision on weather?

Tipi Walter
12-22-2014, 13:52
Hoping to do NOC to Fontana with my 8yr old soon..the forecast for Fontana dam is 40% frozen mix. Anyone been up there recently? Would like lil snow but don't want to take my son 30-45 deg rain...thoughts..

It's hard to know if you mean a dayhike or a backpack. Probably a backpack since the distance is too long for a dayhike. If a dayhike you can leave NOC and try to reach Sassafras Shelter or Cheoah Bald at 5,000 feet. Certain to have something nasty on the ground up there. Bring microspikes. If it turns bad just turn around and hit the NOC.

If it's a backpack just go up to Sassafras and camp and return, or push on to Cheoah. Then drop down to Steocah Gap and the road, and continue up the Devil's Anus I mean Jacob's Ladder to Brown Fork shelter and onward to another road crossing at Yellow Creek Gap road or whatever it's called. It's before Cable Gap shelter. Then climb 800+ feet to Walker Gap and drop like a rock down to hiway 28 crossing and Fontana.

Wet cold rain is miserable. Snow is tough. Bring Kahtoolas.

RED-DOG
12-22-2014, 17:25
if you need a bail out option at Stecoah gap turn right go half mile the Appalachian Hike Inn will be on your right their not usually open this time of year but they don't turn away hikers in need either or you can contact the Cabins in the Woods Hostel, Once you get to Sassafras Gap shelter if the weather is fine their chances are it will be the same on the bald.

saltysack
12-22-2014, 18:05
Thx tipi and rd...I've used Donna at cabin in the woods...she's out of town for few weeks but I'll keep an eye on weather...I'll prob hold off bringing my 8 yr old if looking iffy... He's only been out in fair conditions thus far...I enjoy the weather but not going to chance with him. Just bought a 20 deg north face tigger bag for him..he's raring to go again!! If I bring him I planned on lil less than 10 mpd depending on him and conditions....staying at cheoah bald first night...

HooKooDooKu
12-22-2014, 18:55
The current forecast doesn't seem to show much of a wintry mix that you should have to worry about. It looks like the day-time highs are going to be in the 50's and 60's. Even at higher elevations (Gregory Bald ~5,000'), day-time highs look like they will be in the 40's. So if you get some wintry mix, I think it will melt quick enough.

The only real question is can you (and do you want to) deal with wet and cold. It looks like there is a really good chance of wet weather this weekend, and night-time lows (depending upon elevation) look to be around freezing.

I had hoped to make a trip up that way my self next week... but so far, the 10 day forecast looks even worst heading into next week compared to this coming Friday thru Monday.

saltysack
12-22-2014, 20:31
Hkdk thx if it's looking like mostly rain I'll prob wait a week or two.....