PDA

View Full Version : NoBo Section Hike in New England

NutGrump
12-22-2014, 21:37
Hi all!

Events in my life are converging in such a way that I've got ample free time to do a lengthy section hike. I've a lot of considerations to make about timing, so I am trying to figure out the logistics of completing a nobo portion of the trail in New England. Hoping you all might be able to help. The information in this place has been invaluable so far, so thanks for that.

My largest constraint on the whole thing is that I would like to be emerging from the woods in mid-July. I've also really liked the idea of finishing at Katadhin. Would anyone be able to paint some color on the conditions during this time of the year in the Northeast? Initially I wanted to start in Southern Pennsylvania, and walk about half of the AT. This would start me around April 1st I would think. (I would also like to do this with as little heavy winter gear as possible)

I've read around a bit and I think the main considerations this time of the year in NE are bugs - wetness - mud. What else?

I'm open to some modifications, but solitude is a big factor in my decision to do this. I will have a companion for the first month leg of my trip, so a two-month endeavor where I'm on my own for a month would probably satisfy me the same.

I could go on about all the things, I'm super pumped about it, but I'll start here for now. Thanks all.

Slo-go'en
12-22-2014, 22:08
April is still a bit early to be hiking in PA. After all, April showers bring May flowers and April can be really stormy. I'd hold out until May if at all possible. Of course, May and even June can be really wet too. Or it could be really nice. With the wacked out weather we've been experiencing the last few years, it could go either way. Just be ready to be cold and wet a lot and hope it isn't.

It is generally recommended to stay off the trails from Vermont north until June, but that's when you get into the Black Fly season, so sane people stay out of the woods around here until July, or you very well could go insane.

Leanthree
12-22-2014, 22:34
Start at Springer and see how far you can get. Honestly it isn't worth messing with black flies for 6 weeks.

burger
12-22-2014, 22:58
Start at Springer and see how far you can get. Honestly it isn't worth messing with black flies for 6 weeks.
This. Hiking in New England in May and June SUCKS because of blackflies. I wouldn't think of doing any long sections up there until July.

Traveler
12-23-2014, 08:31
April hiking on the AT can be a mixed bag depending on what winter left in its wake and what spring weather will bring. Expect ice and snow at the higher altitudes (if you get little to none thats a huge bonus). Expect mud and slippery surfaces at lower altitudes. Expect emerging hungry insects (mosquitos, black flies, etc.) along with hungry mammals. Expect lots of wet weather (snow, ice, and/or rain storms). Bring appropriate traction (microspikes until the threat of standing ice/snow is marginalized, DEET, head netting, warm sleeping gear, animal defenses, and rain gear.

In New England early spring conditions are impossible to predict and can be very challenging so you have to be prepared for most anything. Winter conditions can exist in the White Mountains well into May for example, which may be all but impassable to the ill-prepared. Its a grand walk you are thinking about, to be sure. You may be better off starting at Springer at that time frame, however if you are determined to tackle the northern corridor, it can be done if you have ambition and some caution to wait out more serious weather.

NutGrump
12-23-2014, 12:40
Thanks for the response! And that's what I've feared. I had to deal with black flies in the Algonquian Park just at the tail end of their season. But yes, the black fly assault and constant buzzing is maddening, and I've never experienced an entire season of it. Seems like the window I have to hike doesn't really work too well with the northeast section. I'm no stranger to forgoing comfort but I'd rather not tackle every peril of the trail in the couple of months I have. I spent time in ME near the AT at Grafton Notch in September and it's been one of my favorite hikes, but its not going to be September this time around.

Starting from Springer and just seeing where I can get to in 2-3 months is starting to seem more attractive. It's actually nice not to have a defined end-point, so I can just leave when it's time and won't feel unaccomplished if I don't make my goal. I haven't hiked south of WV so the new terrain is a bonus. My biggest concern there would be the population density on the trail. I'd like to have some days where I wouldn't run into anyone. Think that's possible with a mid April start?

Havana
12-23-2014, 13:30
This is an interesting idea....I'm jealous.

Another variant would be to start at Springer and hike north. When you're two weeks out (or so) skip north to the Hundred Mile Wilderness. Finish at Katahdin.

Slo-go'en
12-23-2014, 13:49
It would be difficult not the run into anyone for a full day down south in that time period, but it's pretty easy to hike alone or camp alone of you want. Personally, I like to hike alone to set my own pace but I don't mind camping with others at or near a shelter. Being part of a small, informal group can have advantages. If I'm taking a break at a vista and some others come along, I'll exchange pleasantries and then move along to let them enjoy the view.

April and May in the southern Appalachians is really nice with all the wild flowers, blooming trees and bushes. You really don't get to see as much of that or as much diversity anywhere else on the trail in the spring. It's really pretty which is why I keep going down there every couple of years.

illabelle
12-23-2014, 15:05
Thanks for the response! ....Starting from Springer and just seeing where I can get to in 2-3 months is starting to seem more attractive. It's actually nice not to have a defined end-point, so I can just leave when it's time and won't feel unaccomplished if I don't make my goal. I haven't hiked south of WV so the new terrain is a bonus. My biggest concern there would be the population density on the trail. I'd like to have some days where I wouldn't run into anyone. Think that's possible with a mid April start?

NutGrump, there's been a tremendous amount of discussion on WhiteBlaze in the last several days about the effects of overcrowding on the trail in Georgia each spring. So instead of Springer, you might think about a hike that starts in Harpers Ferry, or Damascus, or Roanoke, or just about anywhere except Georgia in April and goes south. You would have more solitude than a Springer start. In my experience, Virginia is a great place to hike in the spring.
Also wanted to mention that we did a third of Pennsylvania in mid-April a couple years ago with no problems. Weather was nice, trees were just beginning to leaf out, bugs were minimal, water was sufficient. Maybe we were just lucky, I don't know, but I would suggest you don't write that option off without getting some more opinions.
Completely agree about staying out of VT, NH, and ME until the mud dries up and bugs go away.

lemon b
12-23-2014, 18:30
The GMC doesn't want us on the trail in VT. in May. The mud causes trail creep. Please respect my clubs rules, they come from years of experience.

egilbe
12-25-2014, 09:52
Late Summer, early Fall is the best time to hike in NE. Katahdin still had snow on it well into June and the trails didn't open until the snow melted. GF and I went to BAxter 4th of July weekend. They bugs weren't too bad, but that might be because of the Hurricane that hit that weekend. Overnight KSC emptied out. It was pretty funny.