PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of s footwear change.... ?

OhioHiker
12-22-2014, 22:24
I currently wear Cascadia's and have been thinking of a change too something taller.

I Overpronate pretty bad and currently use Powerstep Pinnacle insoles. I do mostly day hikes and a few over nighters a year, probably less than 100 miles.

I read a lot of good things about Merrell Moabs. I would probably get the ventilator version. I also read that the Aslo Fugitive is great for overpronators.

I am not sure I want to go full on boot.

What are your opinions?

Treehugger
12-22-2014, 22:44
I have high arches and pronate too. I like Adidas X-Terras and Salomons with Superfeet green or blue. The Merrells are ok but the toe box is a bit tight for me. Careful of shoes without enough support in the sole. The knees and ankles end up taking a beating. Boots can be tough on the Achilles tendon. Get fitted at a running store or outfitter that specializes in fitting shoes to the foot. It helped me so much! Good luck.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
12-22-2014, 23:18
Went from La Sportiva wildcats to Oboz sawtooths. Great arch and sole support, plenty of room in the toebox and I like the way it laces up. Allows me to "lock" my heel in better despite the wide width.

Tuckahoe
12-22-2014, 23:36
I have owned Merrell's Moad Mid waterproof boots. And as far as fit and comfort go, they were great! Plus Merrell have wide versions of their footwear. There are not a lot of companies that offer a 13ee boot.

However! I have now owned two pairs of these boots over the last two years. Both have suffered the same failure/defect, and twice now I have returned them for warranty replacement.

As can be seen in the photo, twice now, the web lacing loop below the metal lacing hook has torn from the Moab Mid boots I have owned. My personal belief is that between the use of bonded leather (Dura leather as Merrell calls it, bonded leather is a composite material made from leather fiber and a binder) and a small surface area for the stitching that attaches the loop, there is defect resulting in the teaRing off of the lacing loop.

rhjanes
12-22-2014, 23:43
I tried some Brooks Cascades. They were OK. But given that I paid $20 more for a pair of them, as compared to the Moab Ventalators (low)....just wasn't worth it for me. I still wear the Brooks around the house. But I wear out Moabs all the time. I find that after around 500 to 600 miles the moabs are toast. When I walk a lot on city trails (concrete) I kill the soles (pronation issue). I also have custom fit orthotics, so any shoe has to accept those ( I toss all factory inserts).

Know that the Moabs are, I've been told, the top selling shoe for Merrill. So a lot of people like em

But everyone is different. The shoe I swear by, you might hate.

OhioHiker
12-23-2014, 07:07
Went from La Sportiva wildcats to Oboz sawtooths. Great arch and sole support, plenty of room in the toebox and I like the way it laces up. Allows me to "lock" my heel in better despite the wide width.

I noticed the Oboz brand while browsing REI.com.. Are they new to the footwear game? Ive never noticed them before... Their Fireball low shoe gets really good reviews...

I think Ill just have to get to the store and let my feet be the guide. ;)

Koozy
12-23-2014, 10:16
I currently wear Cascadia's and have been thinking of a change too something taller.

I Overpronate pretty bad and currently use Powerstep Pinnacle insoles. I do mostly day hikes and a few over nighters a year, probably less than 100 miles.

I read a lot of good things about Merrell Moabs. I would probably get the ventilator version. I also read that the Aslo Fugitive is great for overpronators.

I am not sure I want to go full on boot.

What are your opinions?

I started with LaSportiva Wildcats and had to change to Keen Marshalls at the NOC. They were very comfortable but I went through 3 pair between the NOC and New York. And as I progressed north the shoes would last less miles (750 first pair, 350 second pair, 120 last pair), which was mostly due to the increase in rocky terrain in the north and the mesh tearing along the sides of the shoes. I purchased the Merrell Moab Ventilators in New York and they lasted all the way to Katahdin. I did use Spenco hiker/runner insoles in the Keens and the Merrells which helped my feet a lot. The only thing about the insoles is that over time the fabric would rub off, and this would also cause deterioration of my socks (Darn Toughs). Luckily once I completed my thru I got 4 brand new pairs of Darn Toughs for free.

Overall I liked the Keens better for the light weight and comfort, but the Merrells were also comfortable and MUST more reliable for long distance hiking.

tiptoe
12-23-2014, 12:52
I'm another fan of Oboz. Oboz is a small, relatively new company based in Montana. I have a pair of Yellowstone II boots and just got a pair of Sawtooth trail runners. Both are incredibly comfortable (special insoles not needed), sturdy, and grip rocks well. But it all depends on your feet, I guess. I have very narrow heels and need a wide toebox.

Havana
12-23-2014, 13:38
I'm more of a traditional boot guy, but I'll give a +1 on Oboz. I've got a pair of the Wind Rivers with about fifty miles on them. They felt good right out of the box but I wasn't able to get out much after getting them. Next season will be the real test. I really like the way the lacing system keeps your heel in place. I also need a wide toe box and these are good (thought they did require a bit of a stretch on one foot to accommodate a rebellious small toe). Very grippy. Probably the best OEM insole on the market.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
12-23-2014, 15:58
I noticed the Oboz brand while browsing REI.com.. Are they new to the footwear game? Ive never noticed them before... Their Fireball low shoe gets really good reviews...

Like tiptoe said they are a relatively new company out of Montana. The local outfitter in Waynesboro VA turned me on to the Oboz when I ran into problems getting the right fit with the La Sportiva's. So far very pleased. The only ones I could get the length and width I needed and still be able to secure my heels. Also no need to buy separate insoles. They usually didn't well for me anyway. They usually lifted my heels too much and caused slip. Good grip as well.

rocketsocks
12-23-2014, 17:41
Unless your looking for specific design features, or are wondering about inherent flaws of a model, your last statement is always your best bet.

chris.ault.37
12-24-2014, 14:36
I also have high instep and absolutely love Oboz ST. I originally put in the green superfeet, but liked the original insoles better. The wide allows me room in the toebox as well as thicker socks.

Praha4
12-24-2014, 16:38
checkout the Lowa Innox GTX mids. Over the last 2 years I've hiked in Garmont Moment lowcut trail runners, with green Superfeet insoles. Been great shoes, but I'm changing to a lightweight midcut boot. I've been trying out all kinds and brands of different trail shoes and lightweight boots..... Keen, Merrell, Vasque, Asolo.. but these Lowa Innox GTX mids are the ones I've decided to go with.

http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/innox-gtx-mid/3106039930/19

Fespo276
12-31-2014, 16:02
I've got Oboz. Broke them in for like 5 miles and did the Devils's Path (Catskills) in a day (24 miles and somewhere near 9k of climbing) with no issues. I then put them away till the next year, hiked in them once, and then did the Presidential Traverse in a day (similar stats). Again, no issues.