PDA

View Full Version : Spice to make it nice....

hikehunter
12-22-2014, 23:52
:-? When cooking from my hammock I like to make my meals flavorful.....
...so I ask??? other than salt and pepper what other (two) 2 spices do YOU carry and use to livin' up your meals on the trail....

I like garlic in some dishes.....others I like a little red pepper....

are there some combo seasoning packs that may work well ?????

please opine...............:cool::cool:

swjohnsey
12-23-2014, 00:29
Tobasco.....

Connie
12-23-2014, 01:30
I use the packaged stuff to "spice" the basic ingredients.

I start with a basic ingredient. I lift the lid on the cookware, I add a little pile of the packaged stuff in the middle of the basic ingredient when it is nearing cooked.

I very seldom just eat a packaged meal, or, a packaged entree. In fact, I only really like Mountain House ProPak Lasagna. For me, packaged meals and packaged entrees are too spicy, so I use them to "spice" up a basic ingredient like rice, or, couscous, or, grits.

Dochartaigh
12-23-2014, 03:13
It depends on if I plan on catching and cooking any fish on the trip. Usually something hot (red pepper flakes), lemon pepper (great on fish), and Dillo Dust (Sugar, Salt, Paprika, Chili peper, Celery, Garlic, Comino) which is great on chicken and pork (or any meat really).

Furlough
12-23-2014, 09:12
Not necessarily in the spices category but, I do like to bring along dehydrated veggies to add to most evening meals. Costco sells a couple of bags with a variety of veggies from squash, onions and mushrooms to green beans, peas and carrots. In the spice category, my wife has a large 60 ounce container of mixed spices that are supposed to act as a salt alternative. I usually put some of this in a snack size zip lock bag and add to potatoes, stuffing and pasta sides.

Damn Yankee
12-23-2014, 10:05
Emeril's Essence would be good. I also try to find little packs of hot sauce.

squeezebox
12-23-2014, 10:18
salt, black pepper, red pepper, dried onion and garlic mix, marjaram thyme etc. mix, curry mix, dried veggies sound real good.
Tabasco has too much water in it and is in a glass bottle, too much wt. use the dried equivalent.
My local grocery has little 1oz spice containers.

squeezebox
12-23-2014, 10:24
You might buy an 8 oz pack of frozen veggies and use it up in the first couple of days out of town, more successful in colder weather. Once opened use it in hot weather.

DeerPath
12-23-2014, 10:36
Cavenders is good on everything, except eggs.

Connie
12-23-2014, 10:58
You might buy an 8 oz pack of frozen veggies and use it up in the first couple of days out of town, more successful in colder weather. Once opened use it in hot weather.

I don't think so, for frozen veggies.

It is surprisingly warm inside or outside a backpack in sunshine, even in winter.

I have backpacked a frozen steak, once. I wrapped it carefully. I did that, in Summer.

The steak is solid and thick. That helped.

RED-DOG
12-23-2014, 10:59
Tabasco
Crushed red pepper
Garlic Salt
Cinnamon "especially on my Zip-Lock Omelets"
And some JACK DANIELS.

zelph
12-23-2014, 12:06
It depends on if I plan on catching and cooking any fish on the trip. Usually something hot (red pepper flakes), lemon pepper (great on fish), and Dillo Dust (Sugar, Salt, Paprika, Chili peper, Celery, Garlic, Comino) which is great on chicken and pork (or any meat really).

Now that Dilo Dust sounds like something I need to buy and try.

I use Habash seasoning, made from the seeds of the Sumack tree. Seasoning of India....good stuff

Shipfixer
12-23-2014, 12:30
Tabasco.....always carry a couple of 1/8 fl. ounce bottles. Can be purchased in a "six-pack" at Bed, Bath & Beyond stores.

Dochartaigh
12-23-2014, 15:04
Now that Dilo Dust sounds like something I need to buy and try.

Unfortunately, you can't buy it. It only comes when you purchase a firearm accessory from LaRue Tactical. Although there's threads hundreds of pages long on sites like AR15.com on how to make your own version of it (I still have a big bottle left so I haven't embarked on trying to duplicate the recipe).

wormer
12-23-2014, 16:26
Try saffron or turmeric both taste good and are good for you

Starchild
12-23-2014, 18:11
Not so much spices but condiment packets made all the difference on the trail.

Odd Man Out
12-23-2014, 19:04
curry for me.

July
12-23-2014, 19:18
Garlic, fresh onion ( say vidalia ), some sort of hot ( sriracha ), ginger, olive or coconut oil.

jimmyjam
12-23-2014, 19:33
Mrs Dash & Texas Pete.

Dogwood
12-23-2014, 20:40
Don't limit yourself to dried spices for flavor. Consider widely available fresh herbs like basil(two nights only), cilantro, parsley, rosemary, sage, etc and fresh garlic, ginger, green onions, peppers, etc. Heck, I've gone into Wally World and resupplied with three mini bell peppers(red, yellow, orange) for $.99., Jalapeno, Thai, Serrano and Habanero peppers. This way I'm getting not only added flavor but also greater variety and with the increased benefits of whole foods(food not highly processed). MANY spice mixes, which I too have added to trail foods, are largely flavored over priced salt.

Dogwood
12-23-2014, 20:46
A fresh clove of garlic, onions(usually a small Vidalia or bunch of green onions) and, whenever I can find it, fresh turmeric root are always in my trail food bag. SUPER healthy and tasty.

FWIW, I sincerely believe since I consume those regularly on trail it factors into me never having a water borne parasite particularly as I treat my trail water less than 25% of the time.

Dogwood
12-23-2014, 20:48
And, also the peppers factor into this especially hotter pepper varieties or dried pepper like red and especially cayenne.

Farr Away
12-24-2014, 13:49
This probably wouldn't work for an extended hike, but sweet pickled garlic eaten straight up is amazing - blast of flavor and a bit of crunch.

Other than that, granulated garlic, sesame oil and Italian seasoning.

-FA

Connie
12-24-2014, 15:02
There are interesting flavors in pickle relish in Indian cuisine.

Sold in a glass jar, do you think a pickle relish could could be dehydrated? It could be an add-on spice.

I have had pickle relish in this country, but people are not doing that so much as they have before.

Demeter
01-01-2015, 08:56
Love Mrs. Dash and Trader Joe's Low sodium chicken broth sticks. Dehydrating concentrates the salt in a lot of foods, so I have to add flavor without any more salt

greginmi
01-18-2015, 19:24
Tobasco Chipotle pepper sauce
Mrs. Dash Sweet Southwest

Both of these never fail to make any dish more interesting.

Also, sodium is never an issue so no need to add more...

ATAdam
01-18-2015, 19:39
Slap Ya MaMa! Best spicy trail spice, ever. Dont forget Daves Insanity sauce.

Carbo
01-18-2015, 22:11
It's amazing how good a stale bagel with peanut butter will taste on the trial. Spice is nice, but plain is good.

squeezebox
01-20-2015, 14:05
Connie great idea about the Indian pickle. dehydrated would be great. See my recent post about spicy grits. I'll put it on top of my list.with a bit of beef jerky.

Funkmeister
01-20-2015, 14:45
Sriracha. Garlic Powder. Crushed Red Pepper. Oregano. Grated Cheese.

schlanky
01-20-2015, 16:05
Smoked paprika and Seitenbacher's veggie broth.

LonghornAT
01-20-2015, 18:35
Tony Chachere's!!!! Best seasoning in my opinion. It seems to be more of a southern thing, as most of my northern friends have never heard of it. Goes great on just about everything but sweets.