PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle from Dick's Creek to Unicoi Gap

Almost There
10-24-2005, 19:42
I have this section left to finish up Georgia, would be done but injury forced me off. I want to try and get it done either on a weekend in November or during the week of Christmas. I will park my car at Dick's Creek and need someone to shuttle me down to Unicoi where I will hike back to my car. If anyone can help let me know and I will be in touch when I firm up my plans.

Thanks,

AT

Jack Tarlin
10-24-2005, 19:55
If you have trouble finding someone, try calling the very nice folks who run the Hiawassee Inn (706) 896-4121, who provide good reasonable shuttling. They might also shuttle their motel guests to a Trailhead such as Dicks' Creek or Unicoi for free, as part of their stay, so you might want to check this out. I believe they're open thru at least mid-November.

Almost There
10-24-2005, 20:10
Thanks BJ, I don't care what they say about you, you're ok in my book!

Dances with Mice
10-24-2005, 20:18
I have this section left to finish up Georgia, would be done but injury forced me off. I want to try and get it done either on a weekend in November or during the week of Christmas. I will park my car at Dick's Creek and need someone to shuttle me down to Unicoi where I will hike back to my car. If anyone can help let me know and I will be in touch when I firm up my plans. Thanks, AT

So whatcha doing Nov 5? Me'n some other fools will be doing a car campout damn near or right at Woody Gap. I got time to run a Woodstockian up to Dicks as long as you don't make jokes about a town named 'Cumming'.

Almost There
10-24-2005, 20:50
Dances, that is mighty awesome of you. Gotta talk to the wife to make sure I can do it that weekend. Pretty sure I can, haven't hiked since July so that section oughta be a hoot! You would just have to meet me up at Dick's Creek at take me back down to Unicoi and I'll hike north from there...and let my lungs die. At least the body is strong! I'll PM you once I talk to the wife, but I think it's definitely doable. Appreciate the Help!

Dances with Mice
10-24-2005, 21:52
You would just have to meet me up at Dick's Creek at take me back down to Unicoi and I'll hike north from there...and let my lungs die. Dicks to Unicoi, morning shuttle, no problem.

The rest of my croo is tied down by kiddie obligations (football, soccer, swim meets) and can't congregate until late afternoon. Sounds like a geat excuse to mosey along some mountain roads and look at leaves on my way back to Woody.

And if anybody in the area wants to suffer through a wuss campout with a bunch of my co-workers and their kids, work related in-jokes, global-warming contributing sized campfires, and gourmet dutch oven cooking, let me know.

Almost There
10-25-2005, 00:14
Now all I have to do is get my wife to let me disappear that weekend...Noooo Problem!

She's usually pretty cool about it, especially seeing as wrestling season is about to start, which means almost no hiking for me until March, after November. I'll send you a PM after I have the official ok, maybe as soon as tomorrow!

generoll
10-25-2005, 08:44
What date are you going? I also need to knock that section off. We could drop one car at Unicoi and drive the other to Dicks Creek and then drive back together. I'm planning on making this a one night outing, probably staying at the shelter on Tray. How does that work for you?

Almost There
10-25-2005, 18:52
Generoll,

Just got the ok from the wife so I am going to do it the weekend of November 5th.

Dances,

If Generoll can't go the ride would be greatly appreciated. I am figuring to be at Dick's Creek by 9am, can you pick up that early if needed? Look forward to hearing from you both!

Almost There
10-25-2005, 18:54
BTW, I want to hike north on this one, don't know if that is what you were thinking Generoll, as Tray is 6 miles into the hike. I was hoping to get closer to Addis Gap as I don't want to be out too late on Sunday, but am willing to see what we can come up with, and play by ear.

generoll
10-25-2005, 21:39
yeah, north works for me. Unicoi to Dick. hadn't checked the mileage, so i suppose that we oughta put more behind us on Saturday. I'd heard that the sunrise was spectacular from the shelter on Tray, but we oughta put a few more miles behind us I suppose. I'll switch this over to IM and we can fill in the blanks there.

orangebug
10-26-2005, 09:29
Unicoi to Dicks Creek Gap is 17 of the longest miles you will ever hike. It is gorgeous, but it is very hilly.

There are several unlisted campsites with water north of Tray, even before Addis Gap if the first day goes short on you. Plan on an early get away on Saturday, as the leaf peepers will be out in force.

Bill...

generoll
10-26-2005, 10:40
thanks for the tip, orange. sounds like words of wisdom to me.

generoll
10-26-2005, 17:58
Does anyone know if the shuttle is running in that area this time of year? I',m kind of a slow hiker, I'm toen between naming myself El Sordo and slowpoke. Anyway, if the shuttle is running I might be well advised to take that option.

Almost There
10-26-2005, 18:04
generoll,

I will pm Dances and see if he can cart us both if you can be at Dick's Creek by 9am. Let me know if you want to do this.

Curt
10-26-2005, 19:07
I Live Near Hiawassee, Ga And I Am Willing To Help With The Shuttle. My Phone Number Is 828-389-4531

Corsican

generoll
10-26-2005, 22:23
yeah, that oughta work. we can leave both our cars at Dicks and then each hike our own hike.

Dances with Mice
10-27-2005, 18:18
It appears there are as many hikers as shuttle volunteers! Too cool, all hail the power of Whiteblaze. I'm still available on the 5th, however the arrangments shake out.

Farmer asked about the mechanics of this hike on another thread and was directed here. So let's talk about it, I'm referring to my notes of past hikes to help my faulty memory. Others should chime in, each observer notes something different.

The first thing you need to know is that there is a mother of a climb leaving Unicoi, either direction. Since y'all are going north here's my first tip: Start with NO WATER! None. Empty all your water bottles. Don't carry a drop, or drink your fill in the Gap and dump the rest. You won't need it and will be glad you aren't carrying it.

Northbound out of Unicoi is a steep climb. Just when you're really out of breath and could use a drink, there's a stream. You can't miss it. You have to STEP ACROSS IT! It's right there on the side of the mountain. It will be after you've finished most of the climbing and the trail turns left and starts to traverse across the face of the mountain. It's only about half a mile from the gap, but once there you've climbed most of the mountain. It makes no sense to carry water up to this stream. Stop, drink, and carry enough to last for the next three miles.

From the stream the trail starts to traverse, like I said, across the face of the mountain to the ridgeline, then turns right and climbs up near the summit of the mountain and along the ridge. There will be lots of views. It's nice after a climb to have view, isn't it?

There's a steep drop to Indian Grave Gap, about 2.5 miles from Unicoi, where a gravel road crosses the Trail. The next 2 miles is mostly a straight, gradual climb to Tray Mountain Gap, my notes say something about another road crossing along the way. About halfway between Indian Grave and Tray Mtn Gap you'll come to a large clearing on the left (to the right is a steep drop-off). I forget if it's signed or not. This is the 'Cheese factory', drop pack here and walk to the left, you'll see the path, cross a dirt road, and you'll find a beautiful, deep spring. You'll need water here, and enough for the next 2 miles.

The next landmark is Tray Mtn Gap with a Garbage Can! De-trash then start the climb to Tray. I like this climb. It's switchbacked, narrow track, the trail winds a lot, you can't see too far ahead, and I think it's interesting. The trail goes right over the extremely narrow summit where there are great views in every direction. It's a Kodak moment kind of place, I've taken lots of pictures here in various seasons.

It's a quick hop down and over to the Tray Mtn shelter cut-off. There's a stream right behind the shelter. Get water.

It's about 1.5 miles from the summit down to Steel Trap Gap, unsigned, you'll see lots of cleared camping spots to the left of the trail and a good sized stream way downhill to the right. I've camped here. Nice place but it can be windy.

I don't have much in my notes for the next 4 miles or so to Addis Gap. Easy hiking, no major climbs, no major views, just not much to write about. There is water near Addis but I guess I never needed it here, there's nothing in my notes about it.

But then there is Kelly Knob! It's about a mile to it's summit with an elevation change of about 1000 feet. Enjoy. Steep climb up, steep drop down the other side.

After Kelly is Deep Gap, the trail to the shelter passes the water source and you'll need water here. The shelter is enclosed on 3 sides, has a little porch, and is in a nice, quiet cove. Cozy place.

It's about 3 miles from here to Dicks Creek. Not much in my notes again. There are several streams that parallel the Trail along the way, water is not a problem.

Y'all have a nice hike!

Almost There
10-27-2005, 18:51
Dances,

Just sent you a PM, we need ya man! Curt made a mistake on his dates and is actually in Ct. I'll let ya answer the PM from there. Thx for all the help!

Youngblood
10-27-2005, 19:10
...I don't have much in my notes for the next 4 miles or so to Addis Gap. ...Addis Gap is the former site of a shelter by a stream. The walk down to it seemed easier than the trail desciption with good water there. Looked like some campsites there also but it is right by what looked like a fairly well used dirt road with a gravel pile.

orangebug
10-27-2005, 22:29
There are jeep roads that hunters often use at Addis Gap. If you camp there, plan to wear some orange.

Almost There
10-27-2005, 23:07
Do you know if Mountain Crossings sells Orange Pack covers, otherwise all I have that's bright is my pack (red and yellow) and my bandanas!

Jack Tarlin
10-27-2005, 23:24
Almost There:

Any Wal-Mart or K-Mart has an extensive supply of blaze orange stuff, such as baseball caps, warmer hats, fleece gloves, vests, etc. And any gun shop will have orange tape/streamers that you can hang off the back of your pack.

Also, the ATC used to have orange pack covers for sale tho this won't help much if you need it right away.

Almost There
10-27-2005, 23:45
Yeah, Jack the ATC does, and I was preparing to get it for my hike with Orangebug at the end of November, but next Saturdays hike is only a week away. I'll try calling Mountain Crossings and see if they have any. Like I said my pack is bright red and yellow, but won't help with rain, although I do have a Patagonia R4 that is bright Yellow, and if it rains my precip is bright blue, so I do have bright colors but nothing orange, except one shirt. I'll check Walmart and see if they have any, thanks.

orangebug
10-28-2005, 09:06
Tuesday, there will be excellent orange pack covers for sale - cheap!

All those orange Halloween plastic trash/leaf bags work as good easy pack covers with just a bit of Velcro or duct tape as a gerry-rigged setup. Go to the local Big Lots or Home Depot.

Almost There
10-28-2005, 09:13
Great idea OB, you're pretty smart...you must be a Dr. or something! Thanks!

orangebug
10-28-2005, 10:21
I might be a Dr., but I also know how to go cheap!

max patch
10-28-2005, 10:41
Addis Gap is the former site of a shelter by a stream. The walk down to it seemed easier than the trail desciption with good water there. Looked like some campsites there also but it is right by what looked like a fairly well used dirt road with a gravel pile.

Haven't parked there since Lapraddes Camp closed. Awesome breakfast.

Skidsteer
10-29-2005, 10:18
Hey Almost There,
Is it too late to add my name to this convoy? I live in the area, have done the section before and am ready to do it again. If your plans are set already, just say so. But if there's room for one more let me know. I'll check back in this evening, now it's time to go HIKING! :jump

Almost There
10-30-2005, 19:24
Skidsteer, Show up at Dick's Creek by 9am Saturday the 5th. That's about the time Dances is planning on shuttling down to Unicoi, he said it wasn't a problem if another wanted to go along.

generoll
10-31-2005, 07:32
I plan on starting out on Friday if my heel permits and am making arrangements with the folks at the Hiawassee Inn for a shuttle. I'm planning on leaving my car at Dicks Creek Gap and getting dropped off at Unicoi. I'll spend Saturday night at Deep Gap and then mosey on down the mountain to Dicks on Sunday. I'll have room for three riders and their packs, so if I know you're coming I'll be happy to take any that I can fit in back over to Unicoi on Sunday.

tiamalle
10-31-2005, 17:48
Nov 5th I'll be at Dicks Gap around 10:00 am if you or others need a shuttleto Unicoi.Call me 828-524-4403

Farmer
11-01-2005, 17:24
[quote=Dances with Mice]
Farmer asked about the mechanics of this hike on another thread and was directed here. So let's talk about it, I'm referring to my notes of past hikes to help my faulty memory. Others should chime in, each observer notes something different.

Dances with Mice: Great summary. Thanks.

orangebug
11-03-2005, 09:41
Wish I were going this weekend with the folks, as I need a shakedown walk before heading up to Damascus for T-Day Week. Maybe I'll try hanging the hammock up in the suburbs.

Almost There
11-03-2005, 14:59
THIS is my shake down walk before our hike, gotta see if I still have 15 mile days in me...oops...wait...I do, but it's about how long will it take me to do 15 mile days. Can you believe it's supposed to be about 70 during the day and high 40s at night this weekend? You're always welcome OB if you wanna come on up!

Dances with Mice
11-03-2005, 18:30
THIS is my shake down walk before our hike, gotta see if I still have 15 mile days in me...oops...wait...I do, but it's about how long will it take me to do 15 mile days. Can you believe it's supposed to be about 70 during the day and high 40s at night this weekend? You're always welcome OB if you wanna come on up!Or, to hang with the real slackers go to Woody Gap, north side, follow the trail between the two picnic tables to the old quarry. If you arrive after dark and think you see people throwing flaming torches, you may not be hallucinating.

Skidsteer
11-03-2005, 22:16
THIS is my shake down walk before our hike, gotta see if I still have 15 mile days in me...oops...wait...I do, but it's about how long will it take me to do 15 mile days. Can you believe it's supposed to be about 70 during the day and high 40s at night this weekend? You're always welcome OB if you wanna come on up!

Yeah, Orangebug, come with us! If it's just a matter of logistics, park your ride at Unicoi and I'll drop you back there on Sunday; It's on my way home. We should be taking off from there right around 9:30-9:45AM.:welcome

Almost There
11-03-2005, 23:32
Man! Am I outta shape. I tried running with my wrestlers today...and let's just say the last few years of smoking haven't been kind to my lungs. I thought my lungs were gonna jump outta my chest and go on strike! I am oh so hoping that this is the month I quit for good!!! I don't take cigarettes on the trail so if not this weekend then for sure the few days out with OB at the end of the month should do the trick. I just think how strong I would be with clean lungs, really...it's a scary thought! The funny thing is because I do work out, my resting hear rate is down in the low 60s now, but I guess one thing at a time, besides it's only the uphills that kill me. After the first day I'm usually good.

Hey Dances, do you throw those flaming sticks at each other? Might be fun to watch! Thanks again for the hitch Saturday, you are da' MAN!!!

Dances with Mice
11-04-2005, 00:21
Hey Dances, do you throw those flaming sticks at each other? Might be fun to watch! We occasionally throw them at each other but we're trying to throw them to each other. Though sometimes it's hard to tell.

orangebug
11-04-2005, 12:10
Yeah, Orangebug, come with us! If it's just a matter of logistics, park your ride at Unicoi and I'll drop you back there on Sunday; It's on my way home. We should be taking off from there right around 9:30-9:45AM.:welcomeI really want to, but I'm committed to a date tonight, soccer in the AM and clean up for preparations of the holidays. I'll be with you in spirit, and hanging in my hammock tomorrow night.

orangebug
11-05-2005, 01:37
Changed my mind. I'll leave Atlant about 6 and be up at Dicks Creek with the rest of you guys. If it looks like a later start, I'll just go up to Unicoi to park and thumb back with one of you folks.

justusryans
11-05-2005, 01:45
Your up late!!

orangebug
11-06-2005, 18:54
Back from a great hike with Almost There and Schizer (spelling?). I met them after they were shuttled by Dances With Mice, about 9:45 Saturday morning, and we took off in just a few minutes. Schizer cruised on up the hill easily, meeting us briefly on the top of Rich Mountain, and then took off on his way to Deep Gap Shelter for the night.

Almost There and I dawdled along the trail, eating lunch at the Cheese Factory, pondering a poorly extinguished fire there, and then working our way up Tray. I'm better on the uphills, but AT tends to blow past me on downhills with a long stride and hits close to 4 mph.

Water was great on Tray, where we took a boots off break and discussed the relative merits of trail runners versus boots. We stopped for more water just before the hills ahead of the Swag, and again at Sassafras Gap. Schizer had left a pint of Vodka with campers there, letting us know his plans and letting us know ours. There were too many campers in Sassafras, and we hoped to hit Addis Gap just before sundown. AT may have done that, but I traipsed in with my headlights on.

We "shared" the gap with a group of youths from some church organization, with them obviously not pleased. Ate, drank a little, shared some suggestions about LNT hiking while they were burning trash, and guessed correctly that these were the campfire miscreants back at the Cheese Factory.

We had to search for campsites as they were spread all over creation. As a hammock hanger, I found a likely spot, until the dead tree came crashing on my head. The laughter was muted. I discovered I had forgotten my sleeping bag, and learned I'd be learning the limits of my Spear Hammock with PeaPod. Quickly, I was hot with a fleece blanket and two pads, until I ditched the pads and slept warmly and well with the blanket. We had a cloudburst about 5:30AM, but it ended to allow a dry sunrise, quick pack up and off on the trail by 7:30AM.

We had been exhausted Saturday night, especially with the last little hill south of Sassafras Gap. The walk this AM was slower and shorter. Almost There got ahead as we went down Kelly's Knob, but the going was slow with wet leaf litter. We were off the mountain about 10:30 and AT shuttled me back to my car at Unicoi.

A good time was had by all that attended, including a number of WB listers I met, Dances With Mice and the General.

Skidsteer
11-06-2005, 19:25
Hey Orangebug!
My trailname is Skidsteer not Schizer( close enough! ) and I'm so glad the vodka got to you. I was worried about the two kids I left it with. It would have been easy for them not to give it to you. That's a real hoot about sharing camp with the youth group! I hope they weren't too scandalized.

I passed an extemely pleasant evening with Generoll( actually his real name is pronounced Gene Roll,as in Rawl ) and his trail hiking buddy, whose name has left me( too many bumps in the head with Kelly Knob! )at Deep Gap shelter. Actually, the fellow whose name I can't remember( sorry buddy ) will likely be checking out WB soon.

Anyway, sounds like everybody had a good hike and got off the trail safe.
Cheers,

Skidsteer
11-06-2005, 19:29
Oh yeah,
Thanks again to Dances with Mice for the shuttle( I should have left the gas money on the back seat, Dances. Hopefully I'll get a chance to repay you generosity soon!
Cheers,

orangebug
11-06-2005, 19:29
ROFL!

I heard the name as something related to Schizophrenia, and assumed the Schizer rename. I bet Wulffie could tell you how that goes. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all of the peer pressure to make the hike!

Bill...

Dances with Mice
11-06-2005, 19:42
Oh yeah,
Thanks again to Dances with Mice for the shuttle( I should have left the gas money on the back seat, Dances. Hopefully I'll get a chance to repay you generosity soon! Cheers, Forward donations to: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10949

My weekend car camping went well too. So was that first stream on Rocky flowing or not? The spring pool at Woody Gap was the smallest I've ever seen it.

Almost There
11-06-2005, 20:21
Hey all, thought I would check in and say thanks to Dances, echoing the others. Thanks to Skidsteer for the Vodka! OB, it was fun, and I am thinking Troutdale south later in the month. My legs hurt tonight but they'll get better. On a lighter note...no smoking since yesterday morning, OB I just keep thinking "blue foot", and it's been killing the craving. Anyways, I'll chat at you all soon, as my brain is as tired as my body tonight!

generoll
11-07-2005, 00:16
Hiya Skidsteer, it was a pleasure sharing a campsite with you. I did get the chance to meet Almost There and Orangebug. They got to the parking lot about 20 minutes behind me. They must've really been booking it over Kelly Nob (note to GATC...CONTOUR LINES!!!!), AT said he left Addis at 7:30 so they were both moving. I took the side trail where the sign marked "vista" and found yet another group camped there, Lots of people out on the trail this weekend. A nice view of the 'smokes' rising from the valleys as the sun began to dry off the rain.

Our campsite mate is named Joseph, don't think he's taken a trail name yet. I signed the book at Tray as El Sordo (think Heningway, 'for whom the bell tolls'), generoll was just a generic username minus the space or any special characters. Guess I'll have to redo my profile. (mana` of course)

anyway, a great weekend with good weather and interesting folk on the trail. Met several southbounders. they could smell Springer and all had a certain look in their eyes.

hope to see ya again.

Gene

Skidsteer
11-07-2005, 18:55
Forward donations to: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10949

My weekend car camping went well too. So was that first stream on Rocky flowing or not? The spring pool at Woody Gap was the smallest I've ever seen it.

Yes, it was flowing pretty well, actually, but full of leaves. If you did not already know it was there you might have easily made the same mistake our sobo friend did( i.e. thinking it was dry ).

Skidsteer
11-07-2005, 19:00
Joseph! Of course! Thanks Gene. By the way, I checked it out and El Sordo means exactly what you thought. I SAID IT MEANS EXACTLY WHAT YOU THOUGHT! Regards,;)

generoll
11-07-2005, 21:32
What? oh, yeah. got it. why does everyone keep whispering?