PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping pad-

Back on the trail
12-23-2014, 17:14
OK I'm looking for a 77x25 air mattress. I want to be comfy. I'm section hiking the AT and am hitting better weather times. I have my ULA Circuit pack and UL2 tent. Looking for opinions (I know I'm in the right place)
Is there any point in getting the Neoair Xlite L @ 16oz for $179 vs the Big Angus Clearview @20oz for $89.

Double the price for 4 oz doesn't seem warranted when I don't need the R-value. I can get a hair cut, shave and loose a couple matches to break even on weight.

Is there something I'm not taking into account:confused:

Havana
12-23-2014, 17:50
I bought a Neoair Xlite Large this past summer and was stunned at how much more comfortable it was versus the old pad (a self inflating one). Very happy. So you're definitely going in the right direction. If you can get similar rave reviews for comfort for the Big Agnes and you really don't need insulation, it's a no brainer. That said, I'm not sure I'd go with a product without insulation though that largely depends on where you're hiking and the season.

Coffee
12-23-2014, 18:04
Look for sales on the Neoair xLite. I purchased the xlite regular for $99 in November on sale and I think the large was around $20 more at the time. I've only slept on the xlite a couple of times at home but I can already say that it is far, far more comfortable than the prolite it replaced. If you can get the xlite on sale, then maybe you would only be paying $40 more to save four ounces. I think that would be worth it personally.

Coffee
12-23-2014, 18:06
Are you sure that the 1.0 r value of the Clearview will be adequate? I would guess that outside of the peak of summer in lower elevations, you might be wishing for a more versatile pad like the neoair with a much higher r value.

Back on the trail
12-23-2014, 18:14
Look for sales on the Neoair xLite. I purchased the xlite regular for $99 in November on sale and I think the large was around $20 more at the time. I've only slept on the xlite a couple of times at home but I can already say that it is far, far more comfortable than the prolite it replaced. If you can get the xlite on sale, then maybe you would only be paying $40 more to save four ounces. I think that would be worth it personally.

Therm-a-rest seems to be price fixed - so $$ on all the websites. Do you remember who had it for sale?

Coffee
12-23-2014, 18:21
Therm-a-rest seems to be price fixed - so $$ on all the websites. Do you remember who had it for sale?

There were a number of sites that suddenly dropped the price and I picked it up on Amazon for $99 plus tax. Date was November 12. I believe that backcountry.com and a few others had it on sale as well. I make a habit of checking prices for gear I want on Google shopping at https://www.google.com/shopping That's how I knew about the deal on the neoair as well as the Black Diamond whippet pole that I got for $65 vs. $100 retail.

At the moment I don't see any great deals on the neoair. Maybe that will change with after Christmas sales.

HooKooDooKu
12-23-2014, 18:39

Apparently Therm-a-rest is about to come out with a replacement to the NeoAir xLite. All the main online retailers are either sold out of the xLite or have them on clearance price:
REI - Sold Out
Campmor - Regular and Womens on sale for $140
Backcountry - Sold Out
Campsaver - Regular on sale for $120, Small on sale for $98

However, other versions of the NeoAir (such as XTherm) are still at their fixed prices.

RED-DOG
12-23-2014, 18:46
I bought a NeoAir X Lite ( Regular ) a few months ago and I was very surprised how comfy it is, don't worry about the crinkling noise it goes away after a few uses.
looks like I bought all my new gear at the right time, Jet Boil replaced the Sol line and now therm-a-rest replaces the Neoair.

Odd Man Out
12-23-2014, 19:03
The Klymit Static V2 might be worth looking at. It is a little smaller than what your requested (72'x23"x2.5") but the price and weight are right (60$ and 16 oz)

http://www.klymit.com/index.php/static-v2.html

Connie
12-23-2014, 20:31
Backpacking gear and clothing can change with a color change, and so, prices drop.

I am not so fashion conscious I need this season's colors, but it happens: people follow fashion colors.

I pick up sale prices often when the product color changes, especially hiking shoes.

+1 I got my XLite $99. I did not get my XTherm on sale.

Back on the trail
12-24-2014, 10:18
Thanks everyone- I'll check out the Klymit doesn't hurt to look. The google shopping short list thing looks helpful-I guess I'll just keep looking hoping to find it go back on sale. My next hike is in May - doing the NJ section so I have some time. Merry Christmas to all and to all a safe hike.

dmax
12-24-2014, 11:07
I've got the regular static v and I like how the sides are made. I've never come off the pad during the night.

Odd Man Out
12-24-2014, 12:29
Also, there is a Static V (older version) and V2 (newer version). Not sure what the difference is.

Dochartaigh
12-24-2014, 13:32
I can't find the R-Value of the Big Agnes Clearview...you still need something that insulates underneath you somewhat, or you can find yourself uncomfortably cold even when it's something mild like 50-60º out.

Have you seen the Big Agnes Double Z Air Pad? That still has a pretty weak R-Value, but might be better than the Clearview. They're about $80, and I tried one out (trying to get a better nights sleep than my large xLite), and found it as (un)comfortable as the xLite, but for a lot better price. (take my opinion on the comfortability of these with a grain of salt - I'm a hammock sleeper now as I've never had a good nights sleep in a tent no matter what mattress I used).

Connie
12-24-2014, 14:20
If the air mattress has no R-value, you can be extra cold.

Why? Because the air in an air mattress can be extra cold compared to the ground: the ground can insulate somewhat, so your warmth under you is retained in the ground. The air in an air mattress with no baffles and no R-value circulates your warmth away from you.

cj2874
12-25-2014, 14:02
+1 on the static V. Surprisingly comfortable.

Odd Man Out
12-25-2014, 14:26
+1 on the static V. Surprisingly comfortable.

Good to know. I picked one up on a Black Friday special for $30. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Cadenza
12-25-2014, 19:37
There are two types of neoair mattresses.
Those that have failed,......and those that are going to.

They seem like a great idea until you wake up laying on cold ground and deflated.
I have a buddy who LOVED his neoair. He convinced me to buy one.
Then his failed after maybe a dozen nights out. He bought another. It failed after about 3 days.
He bought another. It failed the first night out.

I still have mine. It still works. (Or at least it did last time I tried it.) But I don't trust it.

Dochartaigh
12-25-2014, 20:28

There are two types of neoair mattresses. Those that have failed,......and those that are going to. Sounds like your friend has had bad luck, or perhaps doesn't prep the ground under his tent like some do. My NeoAir Trekker (or is it Expedition?) circa around 2004 is still going strong 10 years later. I even had to patch it in about 5 places when my 16 pound cat decided to climb up it multiple times... After it was patched (probably 6 years ago) it still holds air with the best of them and is my loaner when car camping.

My newer NeoAir xLite (maybe 2 or 3 years old) has been holding air with the best of them - and I probably have 100 pounds on most hikers/campers out there. All this ultralight gear like the xLite comes with a price, and that's commonly durability. There's a reason why they come with a simple patch kit - not that I've had to use mine yet, but it's always packed in my gear just in case.

Tipi Walter
12-25-2014, 21:10
The best winter pad I have found (other than the Exped downmat which is prone to baffle delamination), is the Thermarest 40th Anniversary pad Large at 4R. I like it so much I bought 3 of them and yep they cannot be found now. See---

http://www.backcountry.com/therm-a-rest-40th-anniversary-edition-fast-and-light-sleeping-pad

Since it's been discontinued I looked on Thermarest and found its almost exact equivalent here---

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/trek-and-travel/trail-pro/product

Same Rvalue, same 2 inch thickness, same size.

For my winter trips I augment this pad with a Thermarest Ridgerest Solar foam pad at 3.5R. It's underneath the 40th when temps drop to 10F or below.

MuddyWaters
12-26-2014, 17:12
The best winter pad I have found (other than the Exped downmat which is prone to baffle delamination), is the Thermarest 40th Anniversary pad Large at 4R. I like it so much I bought 3 of them and yep they cannot be found now. See---

http://www.backcountry.com/therm-a-rest-40th-anniversary-edition-fast-and-light-sleeping-pad

Since it's been discontinued I looked on Thermarest and found its almost exact equivalent here---

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/trek-and-travel/trail-pro/product

Same Rvalue, same 2 inch thickness, same size.

For my winter trips I augment this pad with a Thermarest Ridgerest Solar foam pad at 3.5R. It's underneath the 40th when temps drop to 10F or below.

I think thats just the prolite plus, but in yellow color for the 40th anniversary. It is what I use in winter sometimes .

OwenM
12-27-2014, 13:03
Back on the trail, try to check out different pads, and see what seems most comfortable to you.
At least lay on them in the store. Specs only go so far. Price and weight mean little if you can't get a good night's sleep. Comfort+light weight isn't likely to be the cheapest option, or the lightest.
Doesn't matter what someone else uses; you're the one who's going to be sleeping on it. Or not sleeping on it...

The best winter pad I have found (other than the Exped downmat which is prone to baffle delamination), is the Thermarest 40th Anniversary pad Large at 4R.

Man, I hope the Exped's not too prone to that. My "Ultimate Sleep System" wouldn't be so ultimate without the Downmat UL7. Using a tiny 1p shelter, I'm not really able to be overly careful with that pad. So far so good after a year, but I step, kneel, and sit on it all the time. I just make sure not to overinflate it...
My back has been demanding more pad lately, so the Thermarest Prolite Small that gets used above freezing may have to be replaced by something like an Exped Synmat soon.

CarlZ993
12-27-2014, 13:30

They seem like a great idea until you wake up laying on cold ground and deflated.
I have a buddy who LOVED his neoair. He convinced me to buy one.
Then his failed after maybe a dozen nights out. He bought another. It failed after about 3 days.
He bought another. It failed the first night out.

I still have mine. It still works. (Or at least it did last time I tried it.) But I don't trust it.
I love my NeoAir Xlite. But, I don't trust it either. It lasted the entire AT with hikes prior & since. I just know it'll go flat on my at the worst possible time. But, I always baby it. All inflatable pads will get a hole in them at some point. I just can't go back to the close-cell foam pads.

Odd Man Out
12-27-2014, 15:24
I love my NeoAir Xlite. But, I don't trust it either. It lasted the entire AT with hikes prior & since. I just know it'll go flat on my at the worst possible time. But, I always baby it. All inflatable pads will get a hole in them at some point. I just can't go back to the close-cell foam pads.

I have a very thin CCF pad I put under my inflatable. It gives a little extra insulation, it protects the pad from the ground, can be used as a sit pad, and it can be used as an emergency pad in case the inflatable one is punctured. Is this extra level of functionality is worth a few extra ounces? I'm undecided. I took it last time. May not the next time.

OwenM
12-27-2014, 15:46
Is this extra level of functionality is worth a few extra ounces? I'm undecided. I took it last time. May not the next time.The question for me is, is it worth the bulk? I use a cut-down ZLite for a sitpad, but it's too small to do my inflatable any good. I don't mind a few more ounces, but a full-size CCF pad would be my bulkiest piece of gear. It's the only reason I don't carry one...

Connie
12-28-2014, 15:15
Inflatable pillow for a sit-pad?

My next long hike I will sit on the bear cannister.

I have the NeoAir XTherm for my sleep system.

Tprunty8
12-31-2014, 23:06
After much research, I'm looking for a Neo Air XTherm. My question is, when and where is the best time to find deals from Thermarest? Are there any annual deals coming up anywhere?

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
12-31-2014, 23:58
Bought mine at REI with 20% off so got it for close to 135 I think last January. I purchased the long for the extra width. Love it. Very comfortable. Taking weight penalty and carrying little air pump :)

Connie
01-01-2015, 00:22
<duplicate>

Connie
01-01-2015, 00:23
I got the smallest one. The price is better.

I do not fully inflate it. I have my backpack under my lower legs. If colder weather, I have down booties.

If you are a member of REI, you get your dividend.

REI % off sales are announced to members.

If you Search for coupons online, you may get as high as 30% off. I signed up with Sierra Trading Post for announcements. I got a 30% off offer.