PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Oil

July
12-23-2014, 19:06
When eating and cooking at home, usually prefer olive and coconut oils. Was wondering about resupply options for the coconut when on long distance hikes. Olive never seems to be a problem, however, organic coconut seems to be significantly more difficult. Any suggestions?

swjohnsey
12-23-2014, 19:25
You won't find much coconut oil in convenience stores and small town grocery stores.

jimmyjam
12-23-2014, 19:31
When eating and cooking at home, usually prefer olive and coconut oils. Was wondering about resupply options for the coconut when on long distance hikes. Olive never seems to be a problem, however, organic coconut seems to be significantly more difficult. Any suggestions?

Other than full grocery stores you probably won't find it. You could put some in a bounce box.

Miner
12-23-2014, 19:51
Have it sent from home occasionally and bounce the extra forward.

Dogwood
12-23-2014, 20:16
Look for organic coconut oil in larger grocery store chains that tend to have a gluten free, organic, and international food section and at health food stores. I've seen it even at Wally World but rarely in the south and when not located in larger towns/cities that have more of a native southern population.

Consider, only bouncing it during cooler weather and in sizes that are fully consumed in a rather short period. Consider, other coconut products for some uses as these products may be easier to locate in the south. Consider, as you hike north on the AT you'll likely generally find greater organic coconut oil availability. Consider, switching back and forth between olive and coconut oils for cooking as available.

Dogwood
12-23-2014, 20:24
Consider, only bouncing it during cooler weather and in sizes that are fully consumed in a rather short period.

I've only shortly bounced coconut oil once and that was on a CDT SOBO in Montana during cooler weather when I was starting out a long thru-hike with a low body wt. I've seen it bounced by thru-hikers at least 1/2 dozen times. I see international long distance hikers bounce it. Two times I was there when thru-hikers were retreiving their bounce boxes containing coconut oil when it had gone rancid. They weren't consuming it to the degree they thought they would and/or bought too large of a container.

July
12-24-2014, 00:04
Only Way to roll is some bounce some CoCo Oil...:)

July
12-24-2014, 00:06
Was My English Right?..

Dogwood
12-24-2014, 01:34
CoCo brandy or CoCo oil in coffee with a shot of peppermint schnapps during the Holidays anyone? :)

Farr Away
12-24-2014, 13:55
I've had the same jar of coconut oil in my cupboard for several months now - no issues yet. (Two jars were opened accidentally.)

YMMV - especially under trail conditions.

-FA