PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about my clothing selection for my 2015 NOBO thru

JJMorse
12-24-2014, 17:09
Leaving around March 23. Admittedly I did a lot of research and spent a lot of money, but these have already come in handy for my fall and winter hiking and climbing goals up here in NH! I'd love to hear any comments, I have done smaller backpacking trips before, but never anything nearly as long and varied as this will be.

Icebreaker 200 wt ¼ zip collared Baselayer
Icebreaker 150 wt T-Shirt
Fleece ¼ zip collared pullover fleece (Polartech 100 EMS brand)
Western Mountaineering Flash Down Jacket w/ Hood
Either the fleece or the down goes home early summer
Marmot Super Mica Rain Jacket
Marmot Minimalist Rain Pants
2 Pair Darn Toughs for Hiking
1 Pair socks for sleeping
Icebreaker 200 wt baselayer leggings
1 Pair convertible pants
1 Pair ex-officio Boxers
1 Pair lightweight running shorts to arrive in summer. Send either rainpants or convertible pants home.
Ibex merino wool beanie
Outdoor Research PL400 gloves
Mountain Laurel Designs Rain Mitts
Baseball cap

I am considering replacing the 100wt fleece with lightweight silk thermals for sleeping, and using the 200wt icebreaker as more of a mid-layer with the silk as a hiking baselayer if necessary. I have been using the 200wt. icebreaker alone this winter and find it very comfortable to hike in alone down to 15-20 degrees. It is borederline too hot when it's 40 and sunny. Any thoughts?

I'm on the fence about whether I will need a balaclava or a bugnet. Any thoughts?

Sleeping bag: Feathered Friends Swallow 20 to start, Enlightened Equipment Revelation 40 shipped in summer.

Connie
12-24-2014, 18:39
Silk or "silkweights". Silk isn't at it's best, for strenuous activity. The original "silkweights" are still available as discontinued link from the manufacturer. https://www.peckhamperformancewear.com no doubt, disconinued because there is no defect, no wear, in many years use. I think the thread and the fabric production was halted.

Another Kevin
12-24-2014, 19:40
You might want to swap back to your three-season gear when you hit Hanover. The Whites can get chilly year-round. But you're a New Hampshireman, you know that.

You might also want lightweight gaiters for the snow in Georgia and the Smokies, and again for Vermud. But you no doubt know that, too.

I like having a balaclava to keep the snow off the back of my neck, and because my puffy jacket doesn't have a hood. You might find it redundant.

I use a headnet in black fly season. The black flies aren't bad south of New England, and you won't be hitting New England until after the worst is over. If you're not allergic to DEET, you can carry a little pump spray of 98% DEET for the skeeters, and you'll want it for the ticks, anyway.

Speaking of ticks, are you planning to use permethrin on any of your gear?

Your list looks pretty much like what I'd bring for a long weekend any time but deep winter. (Remember, I'm a clueless weekender.) But I imagine that a thru-hike is just a series of three- and four-day section hikes, and I've done a lot of those in my time. About the only difference with your list is that you're saving a few ounces relative to my base weight by going with name brands rather than thrift store specials. As a short-miler, I don't sweat the ounces that much.